Utah CHL class`

TexasRig

Jun 28, 2009
A friend of mine got her CHL from the state of Utah. She took the class at a Range outside of Florence on 183. She says its as good as having her Texas CHL and that it is valid in 29 states including Texas.

The thing is it only cost $85, it is only a four hour class and it requires no range time. I have been looking at getting my Texas CHL and I know it requires more class time, range time and it cost more. Has anyone done this? Will this license provide the same CHL rights as the Texas license?

I am reviewing the information that I can find on the web to try and figure this out. I just wanted to throw it out here and see if anyone had any experience with it.

Thanks
Session

JKTex

Well-Known
Mar 11, 2008
DFW, North Texas
Very common but you need to look into it further.

I'd rather have a Texas CHL, being a Texas resident. And I'm not sure if Utah passed a new bill which made it such that only Utah residents could be instructors. The concern was lack of any control by the State when people in other States are doing their class.

okie556

Well-Known
Feb 12, 2009
Longview, TX
A friend of mine got her CHL from the state of Utah. She took the class at a Range outside of Florence on 183. She says its as good as having her Texas CHL and that it is valid in 29 states including Texas.

The thing is it only cost $85, it is only a four hour class and it requires no range time. I have been looking at getting my Texas CHL and I know it requires more class time, range time and it cost more. Has anyone done this? Will this license provide the same CHL rights as the Texas license?

I am reviewing the information that I can find on the web to try and figure this out. I just wanted to throw it out here and see if anyone had any experience with it.

Thanks
Session
:mad: Sorry but that's just wrong. If you live in Texas and want to carry concealed..........take the full class and by all means.........go shoot!

Okie 556

JKTex

Well-Known
Mar 11, 2008
DFW, North Texas
You can carry in Texas on a Utah CHL. The question I have for you is will you know Texas laws regarding use of force and where you can carry?
Ya, but you save about $200!!!!!

(Just being funny, because it's very true.)

Most people do not get out of state CHL's just to carry in Texas, they get them to carry in states that do not reciprocate with Texas, but do with those other states. Or to expand the number states they can carry in. Frankly, I can't imagine learning all the laws and differences in all those other states.

onecoolpilot

Jun 29, 2008
Check out this site for a small FAQ about it. It's where I took my Utah class.

[url]http://crossfire-training.com/content/index.php/faq/43-utahfaqs/69-utah-cfp-faqs[/URL]

I don't know about others, but Linda and Marty hold their Utah class in conjunction with the Texas renewal class, so you do get the Texas classroom part. During the class, they will point out the differences between Texas and Utah laws, but it IS a Texas renewal class.

TexasRig

Jun 28, 2009
Thanks to everyone for your replies. That's a great link OCP that pretty much answers all my questions.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
May 29, 2017
Austin, TX
For what it's worth, we don't honor out of state CHLs when we do the 4473 forms. I don't know if other gun shops do the same or not.

JKTex

Well-Known
Mar 11, 2008
DFW, North Texas
For what it's worth, we don't honor out of state CHLs when we do the 4473 forms. I don't know if other gun shops do the same or not.
I would definitely expect that. I can't see how a resident of one state buying a gun in that state would expect another state's CHL to get them past the NICS check.

htxred

Apr 6, 2008
inner loop houston
i had considered this in the past since utah carry permits were valid in nevada while texas licenses were not.

but recently, Nevada stopped accepting the Utah license and the Florida license, so i'll just stick to texas.

Top Bottom