• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CmdrHaggis

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2013
    McKinney, Collin Co
    Having just moved to Texas from Virginia, I began looking around for CHL classes here in the McKinney area. I hold a valid Virginia resident concealed handgun permit. For several weeks after our move, I carried under reciprocity having my VA driver license and CHP.

When I applied for my TX driver license I had to "surrender" my VA one. Which immediately freaked me out. I had my handgun concealed, VA CHP in pocket, and no VA driver license. It made me wonder (rather panicked) if I was now unlawfully carrying. I finished my business and scooted back to the car and headed home.

I haven't carried since. I'm unable to take the CHL class until June and I will need to wait for the plastic to arrive in the mail. That's a long time to be without my preferred self-defense tool.

I've asked the question to the VA State Police whether my CHP is valid without holding a VA driver license; haven't heard back yet. Thought I'd pose the question here on the chance that someone might understand reciprocity better than I. :confused:

• Am I legal to carry my concealed handgun here in Texas if I have with me 1) my Texas driver license and, 2) my Virginia resident CHP?

tx_transplant

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Greenville, TX
    If VA has reciprocity with TX, I believe that you are fine. However, rest assured that someone more knowledgeable than I will be along shortly to confirm that.
    When I moved here from PA, I checked with DPS and was told that I was legal, as long as my PA license was still valid.

CmdrHaggis

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2013
    McKinney, Collin Co
    I think it'd be alright as well. This is one example of how irritating it is for law-abiding folks. Were I a criminal I'd care less about any of this. But, no, I chose to be an upstanding citizen and defend the Constitution and all that; and spend my time wondering if I'll get pinched on a technicality. :(

wrtanker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2009
    Ft. Worth
    I received my resident CHL from Virginia while stationed there with the Army. I still had my Texas DL. When I got ready to come home I asked the VA State Police about the validity of my VA CHL. They replied that my resident VA CHL was valid until expiration and they didn't care where I lived. I am still carrying under my VA CHL until I can get to a Texas class. Here is the text of the email response I got from them: -----Original Message-----
    From: Tate, Donna K. [mailto:Donna.Tate@vsp.virginia.gov]
    Sent: Friday, March 16, 2012 1:36 PM
    To: Rowan, Weldon W MAJ USARMY (US)
    Subject: RE: Concealed Carry Permit

The permit will remain valid regardless of your change of address. Once
    the resident permit expires, you are welcome to apply for a nonresident
    permit.

Donna K. Tate, Manager
    Firearms Transaction Center
    Department of State Police
    Virginia State Police - Firearms/Concealed Weapons

Post Office Box 85608 / Richmond, Virginia 23285-5608 / Tel:
    804-674-2210 / Fax: 804-674-2791

CmdrHaggis

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2013
    McKinney, Collin Co
    That's great news indeed! I realize that all this worrying on my part is just silly, but I keep playing it over in my head. "Mr. Haggis, this is a Virginia resident permit. Your Texas DL shows you live in McKinney. Spread 'em... farther... turn your head to the left... cough..." :rolleyes:

Top Bottom