• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    Just a heads up to those unlucky enough to qualify for VA dental care. They now have a program where the VA will pay for you to see a dentist outside of the VA. So if you've been avoiding the VA dental system now's the time to get in there and get the referral to an outside dentist.

To those who don't know what I'm talking about. The VA in Dallas has the same number of dentists they had 27 years ago yet the number of Veterans who qualify for dental care has gone up 7000%.

Why are we "unlucky" to qualify for VA dental care?

You either have to have a service connected dental issue or be rate 100% disabled to get VA dental care. Being 100% disabled means you're really really screwed up.

Here's how VA rating work. Many people think that a Veteran with say two 50% ratings would be 100% disabled since 50+50=100. That's not how disabilities are figured.

We take the first 50% rating. That leaves you 50% enabled. Then the second 50% is applied to the enabled portion. So 50% of 50 is 25. That 50 and 25 are added together which comes to 75 which is then paid at 80% since there are not fractional percents.

Most Veterans with multiple ratings that are 100% are somewhere in the 200-300% in normal math. Note this is a simplified example as we don't cover things like bilateral ratings.

Then you have a small group of Veterans who while not reaching the 95% = 100% threshold are still paid at the 100% rating because their disabilities prevent them from working. This is called TDIU for Total Disability, Individual Unemployability. For the most part these Veterans are treated as 100% disabled. They receive the same state benefits (in Texas) as 100% disabled Veterans.

Actually I feel that for the most part most Veteran medical care should be handled in this fashion.
    ARJ Defense ad

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    The other part most don’t realize is it’s really, really hard to have the 4x50% relay for a 100% rating.

I have 14 ratable conditions, with most at 0% or 10%. While I’m glad to have the benefits provided, I’d rather have my health back.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs

Here's how VA rating work. Many people think that a Veteran with say two 50% ratings would be 100% disabled since 50+50=100. That's not how disabilities are figured.

We take the first 50% rating. That leaves you 50% enabled. Then the second 50% is applied to the enabled portion. So 50% of 50 is 25. That 50 and 25 are added together which comes to 75 which is then paid at 80% since there are not fractional percents.

Had to try and explain the above at an HCAD hearing when applying for the DV exemption on my residence some years back.

The young Hispanic lady attorney who was representing HCAD before the board hearing (looked a lot like AOC and had the same upspeak) kept hammering over and over her point that: "... your numbers don't add up!".

When it came time for me, representing myself, to address the board in my defense of the numbers, I looked at the three board members and asked one question:

"Have any of you ever weighed a pound of government cheese?"

10 seconds later my exemption approved.

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    Had to try and explain the above at an HCAD hearing when applying for the DV exemption on my residence some years back.

The young Hispanic lady attorney who was representing HCAD before the board hearing (looked a lot like AOC and had the same upspeak) kept hammering over and over her point that: "... your numbers don't add up!".

When it came time for me, representing myself, to address the board in my defense of the numbers, I looked at the three board members and asked one question:

"Have any of you ever weighed a pound of government cheese?"

10 seconds later my exemption approved.

All I had to do was take the VA letter to the appraisal district. Done and done. Since I'm considered P&T, permanent and total, I never have to reapply.

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    I have to say the new VA Dental outsourcing works like a champ. I received my approval letter, made an appointment with a dentist. They did a basic exam, x-rays, and pictures. They worked up a treatment plan and emailed it to the VA. Approval took two days.

The plan was to get all the amalgam out of my mouth and replace it with gold crowns, except for two front teeth. One I chipped pulling the pit out of a peach last summer, the other I damaged when I was 10 years old. Those will get porcelain crowns.

I went in Thursday to start the work. I was shocked at the amount the VA was paying. $19k. It's basically what my VA dentist said needed to be done. But damn! The cost.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    I have to say the new VA Dental outsourcing works like a champ. I received my approval letter, made an appointment with a dentist. They did a basic exam, x-rays, and pictures. They worked up a treatment plan and emailed it to the VA. Approval took two days.

The plan was to get all the amalgam out of my mouth and replace it with gold crowns, except for two front teeth. One I chipped pulling the pit out of a peach last summer, the other I damaged when I was 10 years old. Those will get porcelain crowns.

I went in Thursday to start the work. I was shocked at the amount the VA was paying. $19k. It's basically what my VA dentist said needed to be done. But damn! The cost.

Was this part of the Veteran's Choice program, or P&T?

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    How do you get the letter from the VA I have some dental work I need done and am a hundred percent disabled?

I have an appointment this Tuesday for regular pc visit. I have a good dentist that will work with the VA.

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    Was this part of the Veteran's Choice program, or P&T?

It's similar to the Veteran's Choice program. Your VA dentist recommends and puts in the paperwork for you to enter the program. If you're approved you'll receive the approval letter and a list of dentists in the program.

I have a feeling they are going to shift a lot of the dental patients to this program.

Top Bottom