• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Will you take the corona virus vaccine?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

CyberWolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2018
    US
    I'm not an expert in any particular field. I'm not an expert in infectious disease or immunology. I know my limitations so when I want reliable information on these subjects I look to people who are considered to be experts by their peers. I don't look to keyboard warriors or self proclaimed heroes. I don't look to social media or memes on Facebook for advice. But most of all I don't look to conspiracy theorist who can't back up their theories with actual data.

If I break my leg I'll look to an orthopedic surgeon and not someone who treats people with aroma therapy or essential oils.

If my car has a mechanical problem that is beyond my abilities I look to a mechanic.

As I said, I know my limitations and my ego is not so fragile that I can't admit that I don't know the answer to something. It also doesn't bruise my ego to admit that someone knows more about a subject than I do.

Because I may admire and respect someone's abilities and expertise doesn't mean I consider them to be my "better".

That's actually a very well written response, and surprisingly, I'm in full & complete agreement with nearly every point you made here - with two exceptions (one primary, one derivative)...

(tl;dr warning)

First, while I respect that you know your limitations - recognize that I have a deep understanding of mine as well. And in this context, they are very few - and primarily of a time/bandwidth nature - which tends to result in limited patience for the deliberately unthinking.

While I may be an outlier, there is no field of study or Practice in which I would not have excelled, given a desire in that direction. (if there's need to learn something important, it gets learned - and damn quickly)

I also have tremendous respect for those who have embraced their Devine gift of Reason and intellect/craftsmanship/etc. This most certainly includes those who have achieved Mastery of their Craft - of course I want the best doctors, mechanics, etc. There's even great respect for the agency of a formidable foe (but that's a different topic).

That said, charlatans get no respect, nor those who have been blinded by ego or willfully abdicated their Reason in favor of emotional/cognitive bias. They're typically easy to spot (and much more so lately), and once identified, who gives a shit a about their whateverthefuck credentials...

Notice that unlike some, I haven't been trying to 'convince' anyone of anything, simply sharing knowledge and/or perspectives, and other ways of thinking about things - which is the key to a healthy bullshit detector, and spotting those like previously described.
    *(note: given the remarkable similarities in your turn-of-phrase above re: fragility of ego to a recent post of mine, it appears even you may have gained something).

Also, hate wasting my time or breath. One of the main reasons I post here at all is due to the great respect I have for the majority of TGT members (but not all), and the ocean of knowledge and experience they represent - and a desire to interact productively with fellow Humans, both learning and teaching as time goes by.

I don't have to post, or freely share any knowledge/experience (sometimes hard-earned); however, the fact I'm even still alive and able to bang-on-keys is a combination of luck, enormous effort, a number of what could be considered miracles, and possibly even a dash of cosmic design tossed in the mix. I shouldn't be here, but I am (which implies Purpose). I don't have all the answers - far from it; but as I learn and grow (through constant application of effort to that end), there's a strongly corresponding desire to help other Humans on their journey. That said, I could give two shits about wasting my effort on closed minds.

DD, the reason I've even continued to reply in this thread is that you've been generally respectful in your disagreement, but that doesn't mean I don't realize how deeply you've dug your heels in, and quite frankly, see no reason to do your thinking for you (I don't do my kids homework for them either).

The reason I'm not doing a point-by-point refute of your earlier post is that, lengthy as this curremt post may be, it reperesents the barest fraction of what would be required to detail that in its entirety, inclusive of all foundational knowledge required to correct said faulty premises. Why should I bother to invest all that time and effort?

Short version - it's certainty of the exclusive accuracy of your statements wherein the main fault in reasoning lies (which of course is absolutey intended, as they're not actually "your" words now, are they?...)

Anyway, proceed as you will...The point has been made for any who wish to see it.
    Texas SOT

Last edited:

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    That's actually a very well written response, and surprisingly, I'm in full & complete agreement with nearly every point you made here - with two exceptions (one primary, one derivative)...

(tl;dr warning)

First, while I respect that you know your limitations - recognize that I have a deep understanding of mine as well. And in this context, they are very few - and primarily of a time/bandwidth nature - which tends to result in limited patience for the deliberately unthinking.

While I may be an outlier, there is no field of study or Practice in which I would not have excelled, given a desire in that direction. (if there's need to learn something important, it gets learned - and damn quickly)

I also have tremendous respect for those who have embraced their Devine gift of Reason and intellect/craftsmanship/etc. This most certainly includes those who have achieved Mastery of their Craft - of course I want the best doctors, mechanics, etc. There's even great respect for the agency of a formidable foe (but that's a different topic).

That said, charlatans get no respect, nor those who have been blinded by ego or willfully abdicated their Reason in favor of emotional/cognitive bias. They're typically easy to spot (and much more so lately), and once identified, who gives a shit a about their whateverthefuck credentials...

Notice that unlike some, I haven't been trying to 'convince' anyone of anything, simply sharing knowledge and/or perspectives, and other ways of thinking about things - which is the key to a healthy bullshit detector, and spotting those like previously described.
    *(note: given the remarkable similarities in your turn-of-phrase above re: fragility of ego to a recent post of mine, it appears even you have seen some benefit).

Also, hate wasting my time or breath. One of the main reasons I post here at all is due to the great respect I have for the majority of TGT members and the ocean of knowledge and experience they represent - and a desire to interact productively with fellow Humans, both learning and teaching as time goes by.

I don't have to post, or freely share any knowledge/experience (sometimes hard-earned); however, the fact I'm even still alive and able to bang-on-keys is a combination of luck, enormous effort, a number of what could be considered miracles, and possibly even a dash of cosmic design tossed in the mix. I shouldn't be here, but I am. I don't have all the answers - far from it; but as I learn and grow (through constant application of effort to that end), there's a strongly corresponding desire to help other Humans on their journey. That said, I could give two shits about wasting my effort on closed minds.

DD, the reason I've even continued to reply in this thread is that you've been generally respectful in your disagreement, but that doesn't mean I don't realize how deeply you've dug your heels in, and quite frankly, see no reason to do your thinking for you (I don't do my kids homework for them either).

The reason I'm not doing a point-by-point refute of your earlier post is that, lengthy as this curremt post may be, it reperesents the barest fraction of what would be required to detail that in its entirety, inclusive of all foundational knowledge required to correct said faulty premises. Why should I bother to invest all that time and effort?

Short version - it's certainty of the exclusive accuracy of your statements wherein the main fault in reasoning lies (which of course is absolutey intended, as they're not actually "your" words now, are they?...)

Anyway, proceed as you will...The point has been made for any who wish to see it.
    He did write a thesis, all BS. Never said what was wrong with DD post.

JeepFiend

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2017
    Bryan, TX
    Hypothetically, if you had a child with cystic fibrosis that would probably be dead by say age 16 or so, wouldn’t you want to give that child a chance to live a full life by fixing the defective gene with gene therapy?

IMHO, that's a totally irrelevant comparison.

A better comparison would be, I don't have cystic fibrosis but many people do. Would I do an experimental and unproven practice on a fetus to make sure it didn't get it either? The answer is no.

The vast majority of people taking this "vaccine" are not sick. It's not treating anything. They are taking a product of a brand new and not yet proven technology in the hopes it will prevent the illness and not cause any severe complications or result in long term effects.

Now, if I had the disease, and I was likely going to die from it, and there was an experimental treatment that just might save my life, whereas, left untreated I was most likely going to die an untimely death, then the answer would be, most likely. That's more like your analogy, but that's not the situation.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    My understanding of the vaccine is that it wouldn't prevent getting covid, just reduce the symptoms?

ZX9RCAM,

I suspect that (given the FACT that I volunteer at hospitals & have VERY LIKELY been repeatedly exposed to persons who have the virus) I will soon find out, as I received the 2nd injection today, SAT 10APR21, at 1245 hours.
    (It's now 1650 hours & I have so far had NO reaction whatever to the injection. - FWIW, my friend PRISCILLA, who is an experienced RN/NP for over 15 years, stated that IF a person is going to have an "adverse reaction to the injection" that the person will "have a noticeable reaction within 2-3 hours".)

NOTE: Priscilla told me about 6 weeks ago that she recommends that everyone over 65YO SHOULD be vaccinated, despite the risk that some few of those persons WILL HAVE "an adverse reaction" to the vaccinations.
    (IMVHO, NOTHING in this life is absent risk & it is therefore a matter of "balancing the various possible benefits, risks & outcomes".)

yours, satx

Last edited:

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio

You are correct, they are not my words and that is intentional. I didn't want it to be just my opinion and early on in these discussions I was asked to provide proof. Keep in mind that it is not just about the vaccine. The same people believe that the disease itself is inconsequential.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    You are correct, they are not my words and that is intentional. I didn't want it to be just my opinion and early on in these discussions I was asked to provide proof. Keep in mind that it is not just about the vaccine. The same people believe that the disease itself is inconsequential.
    I do? That's news to me...

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    My understanding of the vaccine is that it wouldn't prevent getting covid, just reduce the symptoms?
    Your understanding is of something that could happen in a small number of people. My understanding is that it prevents the disease in 95% of people. Among the 5% that do become infected some don't have symptoms and some show mild symptoms. So far as I know if there are any that have had severe symptoms. If there aren't any yet there will be at some point but there should be very few. There are always some that don't respond to a vaccine.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Why is it recommended for people that have been vaccinated to continue wearing masks?

ZX9RCAM,

IMVHO, that "advice" is MEDICALLY UNSOUND, is POLITICALLY MOTIVATED & is INTENDED TO try to frighten the undereducated, naive & hysterical folks into compliance.

FYI, AFTER 14 DAYS, I will be NOT BE WEARING A MASK, regardless of who states that is recommended or required.
    (Fwiw, I'm too old of a bunny to believe that the sky is falling.)

yours, satx

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    IMHO, that's a totally irrelevant comparison.

A better comparison would be, I don't have cystic fibrosis but many people do. Would I do an experimental and unproven practice on a fetus to make sure it didn't get it either? The answer is no.

The vast majority of people taking this "vaccine" are not sick. It's not treating anything. They are taking a product of a brand new and not yet proven technology in the hopes it will prevent the illness and not cause any severe complications or result in long term effects.

Now, if I had the disease, and I was likely going to die from it, and there was an experimental treatment that just might save my life, whereas, left untreated I was most likely going to die an untimely death, then the answer would be, most likely. That's more like your analogy, but that's not the situation.
    Yes, I was baiting you of course. Kind of like "Are you still beating your wife?" type of question. There are many diseases like cystic fibrosis that definitely will take the individuals life because of an imperfect gene or genes. If that gene could be fixed so that the person would be cured of the disease which of us would not want our children to have it cured? You said no to gene therapy and I am saying if it was your kid and it worked wouldn't you do it? That's what "big pharma" is working on and if we could put diseases such as cystic fibrosis, muscular dystrophy, osteogenesis imperfecta, all those diseases that those TV ads ask you to send "just $19.95" a month and get that beautiful blanket might be cured. I have seen big pharma in action, grew up with the threat of polio. Toured hospitals with hundreds of iron lungs stored in the basement. All relics.

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    Given that the CDC's own study shows masking orders have not been effective, I am not surprised. Along with the many studies that show masks (short of N95) are not effective at stopping viruses.
    Are you refering to the study that you referenced that didn't say what you claimed it said?

PaulyBagODonutz

Intelligent Gun Owner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2021
    Hidden in Texas
    i got the first dose of Moderna on Thursday.. I didnt grow any unwanted apendages, and I still havent turned into a reptile or Zombie.

If people would do their own research and stop relying on social media or getting their sources from 15 different media sources, this shit would end sooner and we can all go back to some form of normality.

If you or a family member go to the doctor, do you tell them they are full of shit when they go over the test results? do you refuse to take your diabetes, high blood pressure, or erectile disfunction meds because of fake news?

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    What I posted is what the smart people who created the vaccine say it does. Since it the vaccine is at approx. 95% effective I'll stick with what the smart people say.

If you have some information that the virologist or immunologist don't have I'd like to see it. I mean actual studies and not the rantings from anti-vaxers.
    And we all know that Big Pharma have never, ever been wrong or said something was safe when it was proven they knew exactly the opposite. Just to make a few bucks.
    And this time, they stand to make many, many BILLIONS of $$$.

Absolutely trustworthy. Without a doubt.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    And we all know that Big Pharma have never, ever been wrong or said something was safe when it was proven they knew exactly the opposite. Just to make a few bucks.
    And this time, they stand to make many, many BILLIONS of $$$.

Absolutely trustworthy. Without a doubt.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Damn, i hadn't looked at it from that perspective. Next time i need information on infectious disease I'll ask the barrisdta at Starbucks.

Not all researchers work for Big Pharma.

Top Bottom