• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Oldloader

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2014
    I'm having problems getting OAL to be consistent when loading Hornady 150 gr. SST's. I'm using Lee dies in an RCBS PRO 2000. Get it set for 3.210", then it'll run 3.30" Adjust down and now they're too short! If I slam it into the seating die a second time at the original setting, then they're good. This ain't right! Suggestions?
    ARJ Defense ad

Oldloader

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2014
    I'm using new Starline brass and the lengths checked right on at the minimum trim length.

mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston
    Recently loading SST projectiles I noticed the same thing. Without adjustment it would vary a few thousandths. I need to dig out my Hornady tool that attaches to my calipers and measures off of the ogive.
    I was wondering if it was variation in the plastic tip.

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk

Mills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2020
    Texas
    The Lee seating die stem may not fit the SST.
    Hornady makes stems to match their bullets, of course the stems only work with Hornady seating dies.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Recently loading SST projectiles I noticed the same thing. Without adjustment it would vary a few thousandths. I need to dig out my Hornady tool that attaches to my calipers and measures off of the ogive.
    I was wondering if it was variation in the plastic tip.

This. A bullet comparator is the only way to see what is really going on.

Your seating stem may be crushing the tips too.

Measuring off the bullet tips isn't very accurate and unless you are going for super tight groups a few thousandths isn't going to matter much anyways.

Oldloader

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2014
    These are some starting loads for a pre-64 Winchester model 70 that's not in my possesion. So, I'm trying to make everything exact til I know how they shoot. Where would I find the ogive measuring tool and what specs to shoot for?

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    These are some starting loads for a pre-64 Winchester model 70 that's not in my possesion. So, I'm trying to make everything exact til I know how they shoot. Where would I find the ogive measuring tool and what specs to shoot for?

You use COAL as a starting point. The comparator just gives you a more accurate place to compare round to round length.

For what you're doing you probably don't need it honestly.

Just know the tips on the bullets vary so measuring off them leads to frustration. As long as your dies are tight and you are running the press down all the way on every round then you are good to go.

mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston
    I just reread the original post.

On a single stage press I like to setup my seating die so it bottoms out. No room for error.
    If you set it up so it cams over, or on a progressive press where it might not bottom out fully you will have variation.

If I'm watching my seating length that close, single stage press, measure ogive, and competition shell holder.

If your not loading for competition, you are doing just fine with a little variation.

https://www.redding-reloading.com/online-catalog/35-competition-shellholder-sets

mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston
    90 thou seems like a lot of variation. More than just a few thousandths.
    Correct. That's what I get for driving while TGTalking.

He said if he ran it thru a second time it would change.

When I load on my beautiful blue 550 I try to run the machine with consistent speed and force. The force and speed you out on the handle makes a difference.

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Lee seater stem should be a conical hole. Press cam-over could be a problem but I suspect neck tension and deforming ogive. Gummy tip should not be deformed but difficult to measure.

Oldloader

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2014
    I really appreciate all the responses. I'm going to look again at the setup and the dies. The variation is obvious to the eye, as a correct length has the cannelure on the bullet almost invisible at the case mouth. On the ones that are long the cannelure is mostly exposed.
    I don't see any deformation of the bullet body or tip.

Top Bottom