Texas SOT

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    Many overlook organ meat.

I love it!

Liver/heart and perhaps not precisely an organ as we know it...tongue!

But, I've never had the pleasure of 'sweet bread' - gonna haf to...that looks 'mah-vel-us'!

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Many overlook organ meat.

I love it!

Liver/heart and perhaps not precisely an organ as we know it...tongue!

But, I've never had the pleasure of 'sweet bread' - gonna haf to...that looks 'mah-vel-us'!
    If your family comes from Europe you get to eat many "organ" meats. Tongue (especially smoked), liver, heart, kidney, lung, sweetbreads, nothing goes to waste. Even chicken feet. Some of this I can't eat but the wife makes a great smoked tongue.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Sweetbreads are a bit of work! You poach them then shock them in an ice bath, the press them between two plate. The really need the membrane removed or they are pretty chewy. I was planning on doing tacos with these but the wife seen them raw & it spooked her.

I smoked a beef tongue the other day. Again they require some prep work boiling it then peeling it. I wishI had a meat slicer because I'd do a fat New York Deli sammich piled high with tongue.

When I was hunting in Africa I ate the liver of most the animals I killed. Even did it cave man on a stick, on a hot rock and on the coals of a fire. Marrow bones roasted on a fire, cracked open & ate inside a boma next to the fire was another great meal.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    baboon,

Are you a fan of Peter Hathaway Capstick and his love of mopane camp fires?
    I read most of his books. Lots of people say he was a fraud & his stories came from listening to others in bars. I actually like Karamojo Bell's books better.

I ate Mopani worms on my first trip. The moping forest looked as if fire raged thru it because the forest floor was devoid of anything. The mopani trees bark is black.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    Tongue is one of the most 'under appreciated' meats available.

I really enjoy 'organ' meats, but sadly, swmbo doesn't like them and she's the chef...not even liver will she buy and cook (the most often eaten organ meat) not allowed...sweetbreads would probably make her 'pass out'.

The only 'organ' meats I found a bit off putting (but I ate it) is brain.

It was in some 'cowboy stew' filled with various organ meats. I found it bland and jelly like, probably a good (vague) meat for the toothless...

When I was a kid in South Texas, scrambled egg and brains was a popular dish.

Today, I'd love some liver and onions, or your liver and fava beans...if you'll stand still long enough...is that an axe in my hand?

Or I'd like to cook an entire head of a calf/lamb/goat (eat the eyes first, they're surprisingly good)...and quite the delicacy if you're not some queasy metro-sexual or other wimp type...

Can you tell...I'm hungry so don't get too close or you're next on the menu!

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Sweetbreads are a bit of work! You poach them then shock them in an ice bath, the press them between two plate. The really need the membrane removed or they are pretty chewy. I was planning on doing tacos with these but the wife seen them raw & it spooked her.

I smoked a beef tongue the other day. Again they require some prep work boiling it then peeling it. I wishI had a meat slicer because I'd do a fat New York Deli sammich piled high with tongue.

When I was hunting in Africa I ate the liver of most the animals I killed. Even did it cave man on a stick, on a hot rock and on the coals of a fire. Marrow bones roasted on a fire, cracked open & ate inside a boma next to the fire was another great meal.

baboon,

Just thinking of a THICK tongue sandwich makes me HUNGRY, as does considering the GREAT stews with sweetbreads & other "scraps" from Latin America that I used to get when I was stationed down there.

Some of the BEST FOOD that I've ever had ANYWHERE was cooked by the side of the road on a car hood and/or in an iron wash-pot, over embers/coals.
    (IF you want to have a cafe but have little money, in a lot of third word places, you pick out a convenient roadside place to cook, gather up wood, find & "burn the paint off" a car hood, find some rocks to sit the car hood upon, prepare your ingredients, start your fire & start cooking.)

IF what you are cooking SMELLS GOOD, people will stop & buy what you have to sell. - IF it tastes GREAT you will soon "have a line of hungry eaters" can thereafter fix evermore dishes to sell.

NOTE: The best place to eat in Caracas VZ started out at an intersection of 2 country roads outside of the city & cooked on a homemade grill, over a wood fire by a POOR man & his wife, who were both GREAT COOKS.

What they cooked/sold originally was either out of their home garden or bought from a local farmer. - After about 5 years, they had saved enough BOLIVERS to move their cooking/customer base into a rented building & became "a local legend".

NOTE: I'm SAD to tell everyone that that GREAT restaurant is GONE, like so much that I remember so fondly from my time in VZ.
    (The !!@#$%^ commies not only seized my beautiful home/contents there but also UTTERLY DESTROYED "MY beautiful Venezuela". = The commies made such a mess of the economy, that I fear that "MY Venezuela" is GONE forever.)

ADDENDA: One afternoon LONG AGO my driver & I stopped at a "roadside eatery", ordered food & sat down on the grass to enjoy our GREAT TASTING supper.
    We asked what we were eating & were told, "GRILLED YEGUA con veraduras, commandante."
    (Even it may have been formerly somebody's plow-horse, the food was GREAT.)

yours, satx

Last edited:
    Top Bottom