• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • f250freak

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    I live in the typical 75' x 130' lot middle class suburbia neighborhood, 12 years old. Some retirees, some parents raising families (like us), some newlyweds. Houses set 25-30 ft in between. 1800-4000 sq ft houses (most in the 2200 sq ft range). Alley down the middle behind all the houses. Rear garage, short rear entrance garage/driveway. Fence covers all the backyard, but doesn't cover the driveway (meaning we park next to the fence). One neighbor driveway directly behind mine, one next to mine (same distance as between houses). We all have motion detector flood lights aimed so that when someone comes in our driveways, lights come on, but not necessarily as someone drives down the alley.

My pickup has been broken into 4 times in the last year, and, I'm tired of replacing the door locks. Twice they've also gotten into another vehicle (wife's). They've never gotten anything, save for a pair of sunglasses and an air mattress (!). We don't leave anything of value in the vehicles, in fact about the only thing you'll see when looking in is a stock vehicle with maybe a couple of empty water bottles (there's not even paperwork with our name/address in the vehicles).

Every time it happens, it's like they break in just cause they can, and just to look. We find the glove box open, the door is usually still open, and the light on. It's getting to feel like we're on their quarterly route or something.....and they're letting us know they were back.

Every time, I call the police. But they don't visit, as nothing is stolen. I see patrol cars for a few days. Lather, rinse, repeat 2-3 months later.

Short of either changing vehicles, moving, adding to the fence and gating in the rear (none of which I can afford), what would you do in this situation? I've read the Texas laws with regards to home 'castle' doctrine. I'm not opposed to force (and we will use it if they come in the house), but I have close proximity houses with kids (including my own) if I'm protecting property in my driveway.

Ideas?

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I see. You have been broken into FOUR times? Unless you have to use that vehicle for something, and I mean HAVE to, I'd sell it and find something I can park in the garage.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Vehicle doesn't fit. It's an F250 extended cab long bed.

If they're popping the lock through the key hole, replace the keyed door lock plates with blanks, or even the reinforced ones. And an alarm. Even a basic alarm will have shock sensors.

Someone popped the lock on my Excursion 1 time and ran off when it barked at them. The key hole is hosed I never use the key hoe anyway. I have the keypad which also disarms the alarm, but worse case, if there's no power, I have the advantage of the rear door to climb through. Trucks aren't so lucky, how often do you loose power enough that the power door locks don't work?

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    If you have dark tint, you could try spending the night in the car a few times, with a baseball bat and a gun (just in case, you never know) and hiding in the back seat. Heck I've had my stereo stolen a couple times and I've considered doing it myself. All it would take is scaring the ever living hell out of the dude once and you would probably never have a problem ever again. ;)

wayneside

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    how about an alarm with pager? i have one on every car i own...they alert you right away as soon as someone messes with your car.

f250freak

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    I'll do the alarm with pager (no blinky light on dash though). Maybe not even install the siren (haven't decided).

I'll also shave the exterior door key locks, and install a hidden backup jump start cable (in case batteries die).

Should be able to do all this for about $200 by DIY.

Then, maybe we'll see what happens when I know they're in (or trying to get in) the truck, but they don't know I know, and all the while somehow handling it and not being a headline for the 5pm news.

Oh....and unfortunately getting rid of the vehicle isn't happening. It's paid for. It's reliable (still after 10 years/250k miles). It still looks new. I use it for heavy towing once/twice a month. Even if diesel skyrockets, it's still cheaper for towing. And, did I mention it's paid for? :-)

Thanks for the thoughts!

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    When my wife were dating I lived with my parents out of town a few ways so one sat. night I stayed at her and her mothers house so we could go to church the next morning. Anyway got up the next morning and the window on my 97' Mustang Cobra was broke so I called PD and filed a report being really pissed then even more when I found car had been drove, had spare set of keys in console. The perps stole my car drove over a curb and messed up the rear diff. I had just built the month before and parked the car back in the driveway and stole my cds. But whats even better is the DA's left a 250.00 Snapon torque wrench and a 300.00 volt meter PD thought it was just a bunch of kids. Never had another problem in the area cause I put up a fake video camera buy the motion light.

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    Good luck! It's most likely kids [teens], having obnoxious fun. No professional thief would worry about what is in the truck, they would take the truck. Only a kid would be foolish enough to continue hitting the same vehicle, probably getting a kick out it. You would think that they would get tired of not finding anything in there.

Until you get it all figured out, keep everything out of the truck, even empty water bottles. If you could disable the ignition, you could leave it unlocked. That would only be to keep them from damaging anything till you have figured out your security delimma.

You can replace your motion sensitive light with a unit that has a hidden camera. Or, get a seperate camera. Wire it to your pc (yeah, it'll be a little pain to run the cat 5). Go to either a Fry's or a nice home security store, they sell a PCI card that you put on your computer that will only record when someone is within a preset perimeter (of your choosing). Don't skimp on the camera. Maybe these punks are already known to the local patrolman, you'd have something on video to give the police.

Good luck, that sucks.

thorkyl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Brazoria County
    Yep, old thread.

Had the same kind of thing happening at my place.

I bought 2 wireless webcams and put them on the steering column pointing at the doors set to motion detect

Transmitted to my PC in the house.

Got a nice picture of the neighbors kid opening the door at 3am. Printed the pix and gave them to his dad. That kid walked with a limp for a month.

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    If nothing is left in the vehicle, leave it unlocked. Anybody that wants in is gonna get in anyway... at least a snooping kid thief won't do property damage to your vehicle.

I do like the idea of an alarm with pager and no siren or lights. leave the doors unlocked and keep your shotgun handy. Even a few rounds just over their head will likely have them choosing another neighborhood "next time".

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    A friend of mine had similar problems.
    He removed the linkages from the door lock, wired a 10,000 volt capacitor to the lock and isolated it inside the door frame.
    When the BG inserted his tool to yank the lock he became the ground for the capacitor- shocking!!!
    His vehicle was never broke into again.
    Oh yeah, he got a nice slide hammer out of the deal too.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    A friend of mine had similar problems.
    He removed the linkages from the door lock, wired a 10,000 volt capacitor to the lock and isolated it inside the door frame.
    When the BG inserted his tool to yank the lock he became the ground for the capacitor- shocking!!!
    His vehicle was never broke into again.
    Oh yeah, he got a nice slide hammer out of the deal too.

Be careful if you do this though not to kill perp. I believe there is a statute making it illegal to set these kinds of traps in Texas ;)

Now if you got the BG reporting this trap, and I don't know if there are those geniuses around, "Uhh yeah, I'd like to report a violation of xx.xxx. I was breaking into this truck and it had a very bad trap setup..."

GM.Chief

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Be careful if you do this though not to kill perp. I believe there is a statute making it illegal to set these kinds of traps in Texas ;)

Now if you got the BG reporting this trap, and I don't know if there are those geniuses around, "Uhh yeah, I'd like to report a violation of xx.xxx. I was breaking into this truck and it had a very bad trap setup..."

It's not a trap. It's a vehicle-security system.

Top Bottom