Hurley's Gold

Vehicle first aid kits and preparedness.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CavCop

CAVCOP on Rumble
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2016
    Central TX
    Made this video last weekend. Of my vehicle load outs and first aid kit, along with some history on the Military camouflage aid dressing used from the 1920’s till circa 2004, when the IFAK came out. The IFAK like most Military things, is what many tend to follow and copy.
    There was a story I read yesterday that should be a stark reminder to have an aid kit in your vehicle. I will find and post it bellow.

Capitol Armory ad

CavCop

CAVCOP on Rumble
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2016
    Central TX
    I live in the Killeen/Fort Hood area, where this family was from. They were in Austin and had to wait OVER 2 HOURS for Police to show up. That is unacceptable. As a retired Infantryman in the Military and retired Police Officer, I know some basic first aid and keep kits in my vehicles. I also drive in rural areas that might take while for DPS or a helicopter to arrive vs an ambulance from a nearby city.
    Things are changing and as important as firearms are, so is having some medical kits and some training. Even bandannas can be used for a half dozen things or more for survival, even in a big city, in your vehicle, waiting for others to find you and save you…

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Good video man. Thanks for sharing.

The article is a bit much but I agree people should be prepared. We live on an over populated rock with lots of people doing stupid stuff. Often it hurts others. Or worse…but that’s reality. You could be waiting a while especially in dense cities.

At least someone is coming. Could be worse. They could tell you to go pound sand and hang up.

Definitely bring your own kit.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    In both my cars I have a backpack with some medical supplies:
    Israeli bandages, torniquet, regular bandages, gauze, alcohol wipes, antibiotic ointment, eye wash, suture kit, tweezers, scalpels, vinyl gloves, face masks, quick-clot sponges, thermometer.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I left a leatherman and a first aid kit in one of the armored vans but normally I have water, tools, first aid, a sleeping bag, rain gear and then my work glock and body armor.

CavCop

CAVCOP on Rumble
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2016
    Central TX
    Good video thanks for posting this.

I went over to Rumble & hit the follow button. You have some good stuff over there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Thanks, it’s a work in progress. New to making videos and limited equipment/budget. About to move my dining room table set up, to my garage/reloading bench.

Lots of guns and gear to show. I try to do a video a week. Might do more and make them shorter. No real agenda, just going over things and sharing.

Thanks again for the support, as I refuse to do YouTube so my audience is limited.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Way back in the 1970’s, when I was switching medical specialties (which took over 5 years), I was working E.M.all over Texas & LA. Some of the small town hospitals were amazingly under-equipped.

So I bought & carried the full double “Ban-Yan” kits. They had everything from bottled O2, Ped & Adult intubation sets, a pneumoTX set, stuff for doing OB’s, even a good selection of narcotics & sedatives. As car trunks were pretty hot, it was in big insulated styrofoam insulated containters.

Never used any of it, not even once, what a waste !

CavCop

CAVCOP on Rumble
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2016
    Central TX
    Way back in the 1970’s, when I was switching medical specialties (which took over 5 years), I was working E.M.all over Texas & LA. Some of the small town hospitals were amazingly under-equipped.

So I bought & carried the full double “Ban-Yan” kits. They had everything from bottled O2, Ped & Adult intubation sets, a pneumoTX set, stuff for doing OB’s, even a good selection of narcotics & sedatives. As car trunks were pretty hot, it was in big insulated styrofoam insulated containters.

Never used any of it, not even once, what a waste !

Better to have and not need, than need and not have.

However sometimes people have too much stuff. But if you don’t have the minimum…

I have seen ambulances show up and both O2 bottles are empty. No tourniquets available and having to use my shirt or belt to stop arterial bleeding. Carried many epipens that expired.

But I have also been able use some of the stuff I carry to save lives and help.

Heck carrying a pistol with extra magazines that never get used for self defense might be a waste for most people, but then you have thinks like Lubys shooting in Killeen or the Fort Hood shooting, or hundreds of others in Bell County and say being prepared is better than not being prepared.

The odds of using first aid to save a life, are greater than using a firearm to take a life.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Better to have and not need, than need and not have.

However sometimes people have too much stuff. But if you don’t have the minimum…

I have seen ambulances show up and both O2 bottles are empty. No tourniquets available and having to use my shirt or belt to stop arterial bleeding. Carried many epipens that expired.

But I have also been able use some of the stuff I carry to save lives and help.

Heck carrying a pistol with extra magazines that never get used for self defense might be a waste for most people, but then you have thinks like Lubys shooting in Killeen or the Fort Hood shooting, or hundreds of others in Bell County and say being prepared is better than not being prepared.

The odds of using first aid to save a life, are greater than using a firearm to take a life.
    I feel that way about fire extinguishers & seat belts.

CavCop

CAVCOP on Rumble
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2016
    Central TX
    I feel that way about fire extinguishers & seat belts.

As a police officer I used a fire extinguisher more than I ever thought I would, from vehicle crashes and parked vehicles catching fire, to kitchen fires, dumpster fires, etc. Fires can spread fast.

In my Jeep I keep two fire extinguisher, but none in my other vehicles. Debated adding one to my wife’s vehicle.

If a vehicle I ordered to replace my truck ever gets built, I will probably put a fire extinguisher in it.

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    I'm sure it would take a bit more research, but in discovering I had several thousand dollars idling in an HSA (Health savings account) I found a lot of general home first aid can be considered eligible for HSA spending. I'm not a huge advocate for HSAs (for me at least) but my understanding is they're pre income-tax dollars that go into a savings account (it makes no money) and you can use it for a lot of medical expenses like doctor co-pays, dentist stuffs, and even preventative stuff like vitamins and sunscreen. To bring it back to the subject of the thread; you can buy stuff like band-aids, gauze, neosporin, ibuprofen, and other stuffs that would go into a vehicle first aid kit or at-home first aid kit. Some pre-made kits come in 'good enough' bags to sit in your trunk forever, or you can buy it all individually and put it in a bag like CavCop has.

Definitely a good idea to have at least a basic kit at home and in the car. The most I've ever needed at home was sunburn cream and bandaids, but accidents happen and you'd rather have to pull it all out of a drawer instead of head to the store to buy it (while bleeding) or to the urgent care. Thanks for the video!

CavCop

CAVCOP on Rumble
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2016
    Central TX
    I'm sure it would take a bit more research, but in discovering I had several thousand dollars idling in an HSA (Health savings account) I found a lot of general home first aid can be considered eligible for HSA spending. I'm not a huge advocate for HSAs (for me at least) but my understanding is they're pre income-tax dollars that go into a savings account (it makes no money) and you can use it for a lot of medical expenses like doctor co-pays, dentist stuffs, and even preventative stuff like vitamins and sunscreen. To bring it back to the subject of the thread; you can buy stuff like band-aids, gauze, neosporin, ibuprofen, and other stuffs that would go into a vehicle first aid kit or at-home first aid kit. Some pre-made kits come in 'good enough' bags to sit in your trunk forever, or you can buy it all individually and put it in a bag like CavCop has.

Definitely a good idea to have at least a basic kit at home and in the car. The most I've ever needed at home was sunburn cream and bandaids, but accidents happen and you'd rather have to pull it all out of a drawer instead of head to the store to buy it (while bleeding) or to the urgent care. Thanks for the video!

HSA’s can be good. When I was in the Military and had “free medical”, my wife had an HSA at her work. At the end of the year we would buy cold meds, bandaids, prescription glasses, etc with it and a good supply on hand that came in handy with kids at home.

CavCop

CAVCOP on Rumble
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2016
    Central TX

Small shovel. Always had a shovel/e-tool in the field. Can come in handy.

Even have a nice military issued Gerber kit I got that has a e-tool, hatchet, saw, multi tool, flashlight and small first aid kit in what looks like a small briefcase that I take in my truck for some trips (but don’t leave in my truck).

I can dig out mud for a stuck tire, fill in dirt/rocks for a stuck tire, chop branches on a trail, chop wood for a fire, did a hole to poop in and bury it from animals, throw it at trees, use it to hammer in tent stakes for a tarp, and even defend myself with it as weapon. My Maglite also makes for a neat weapon, besides just a large flashlight.

Yup, a small shovel.

PGB777

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2023
    Cedar Hill
    I live in the Killeen/Fort Hood area, where this family was from. They were in Austin and had to wait OVER 2 HOURS for Police to show up. That is unacceptable. As a retired Infantryman in the Military and retired Police Officer, I know some basic first aid and keep kits in my vehicles. I also drive in rural areas that might take while for DPS or a helicopter to arrive vs an ambulance from a nearby city.
    Things are changing and as important as firearms are, so is having some medical kits and some training. Even bandannas can be used for a half dozen things or more for survival, even in a big city, in your vehicle, waiting for others to find you and save you…

Absolutely! Being able to take care of yourself in an emergency is better then being in a life threatening situation without being able to handle it and hoping that that police and ems arrive on time.

Top Bottom