• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    "According to the records, in 2017, Austin police received at least 345 reports of guns stolen from cars. The following year, that number rose to at least 441 reports -- a nearly 28 percent increase. And in some cases, thieves stole more than one gun."

NRA and similar bumper/window stickers don't help either, IMO. Why advertise a possible firearm in your unattended vehicle?

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Laws are designed to not only infringe on us but put us in a damned if we do damned if we don’t scenario sometimes.

Every state needs constitutional carry. I’m sorry it just does. Laws how we store them; ie on person vs in a house/vehicle. Permit vs none permit. What does it matter when crime is out there? In my area there’s been an increase in armed car jackings. Texas law lets me have a gun in my truck if I don’t have a permit to carry but it’s this level of nit picking that needs to go away. Get rid of virtually all gun laws.

Don’t want a pistol stolen from a car? Let the owner take it with him wherever his day takes him. Zero restrictions.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    "According to the records, in 2017, Austin police received at least 345 reports of guns stolen from cars. The following year, that number rose to at least 441 reports -- a nearly 28 percent increase. And in some cases, thieves stole more than one gun."

Adding perspective. That’s 5.5 guns stolen per 100,000 Austin residents. According to an FBI study from 2012 - 2015, the average rate of the five states with the highest rates is 220 per every 100,000 people. The average rate of the five states with the lowest rates is 16 per every 100,000 people. So, at least we’re batting well below the average.

https://www.americanprogress.org/issues/guns-crime/reports/2017/07/25/436533/stolen-guns-america/

I’d be curious to see whether rates of stolen guns in Texas correlate to density of 30.05/30.07 properties.

In the end, you can’t fix stupid. I do occasionally have to leave a handgun in my truck. Between a console vault and jimmy jammers, it’ll be tough to get it in.

Long guns get cased, locked, and secured to the seat supports with a good cable lock.

sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    Who said it was a good idea? Sometimes we lock our weapons in our cars for whatever reason? Lock, alarm on, concealed from view. Has nothing to do with being convinced it’s a good idea or not.

Not a single window sticker, bumper sticker, hat, t shirt, nothing on any vehicle I own to identify me as anything.

I laughed at a friend recently about his USCCA sticker on his back window. So much for concealed carry. Lol

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    Adding perspective. That’s 5.5 guns stolen per 100,000 Austin residents. According to an FBI study from 2012 - 2015, the average rate of the five states with the highest rates is 220 per every 100,000 people. The average rate of the five states with the lowest rates is 16 per every 100,000 people. So, at least we’re batting well below the average.
    Thanks for putting it into perspective. But it still sucks if you are the guy/gal that gets their gun stolen.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    What is the reason for the increase in auto burglary/theft?
    I’m interested too. I don’t know the answer to your question. Why do criminals do bad things? I dunno, their just bad people?

When I got my truck I activated on star. Yes I’m well aware they can listen in. On the flip side if my truck gets taken they will give gps to le and shut it off. Even if my truck got wrecked, i view it as a tool to do everything I can to get the guy in jail and off the streets.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    A crimereports.com screen cap of our area. The car means stolen, break picture means breaking, and the mask means kidnapping. Date range is from Jan to today.
    5472FF8A-832E-46B3-BA76-4067BA2D95EE.jpeg

Attachments

• 5472FF8A-832E-46B3-BA76-4067BA2D95EE.jpeg
      5472FF8A-832E-46B3-BA76-4067BA2D95EE.jpeg
      160.3 KB · Views: 84

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    The instance stated at the start of the article was a gun left in the car at home.
    To me, big difference between this and a gun stolen from car at work or out shopping.

Yep, I'm thinking most of these thefts are not targeted, just a few local scumbags walking through neighborhoods checking for unlocked doors. I suppose though that they could be occurring in parking lots as well, but I bet people are most likely to forget to lock their doors at home rather then when out and about.

. Now that I’m in the metroplex and got a newer rig, it will never see a sticker.

On top of that, seeing how TX DMV data is available online for a small fee, a motivated criminal could do a lot more damage then just what's in your vehicle.

JCC

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2018
    US
    IF you have to leave your gun in your car for any reason, secure it so it is not easy to smash and grab.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom