Patriot Mobile

Venison Jerky??? Looking for experience, wisdom and inspiration.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Not like I needed another "hobby" but just bought a Presto dehydrator.
    Well......actually bought three. Two for my sons for x-mas gifts.

They are only, like $55 on Amazon.
    https://www.amazon.com/Presto-06301-Dehydro-Electric-Dehydrator/dp/B008H2OEKK

On my maiden outings I have done sliced beef, ground beef through a jerky gun , salmon and some course tofu(!). And some apples and pears.

So.
    I've got an irresistible urge to shoot a tender doe this weekend and try my hand and skills at venison jerky.

Any experience????
    I'm a newbie to the drying thing.
    Have plenty of spices and lots of salt and the requisite course-ground black pepper.

I bought a pound of Prague #1 sodium nitrite during salt but the stuff is toxic and reading about it scares me.

Looking for the imbedded wisdom in these forums. Surely dehydrator skills are to be found here.

HKS
    Texas SOT

Last edited:

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Cut the meat about 1/4 inch thick across the grain, let it sit in a baggy overnight and let it rest.
    I soak mine in a very light salt brine using sea salt. It is not as strong tasting as table salt. And it helps kill bacteria.
    I mix Tony Cachere's creole or cajun seasoning with a little brown sugar and lightly season.
    I dry mine until it is rock hard and totally dry. The less moisture, the longer it keeps. I have stored in a baggy in the fridge up to 2 years without spoiling.

Some dried potatoes, carrots, peas and presto, you have a decent soup or stew. Or just something tasty to snack on that won't spoil.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I made mine in the oven on the lowest setting with the door ajar. Soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic & coarse black pepper. Remember to cut the meat with the grain when making jerky. A little fat on the meat ades flavor but will go rancid pretty fast. Freezing it will stop that if you don't eat it up to fast.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    I have made biltong and jerky. It's pretty easy and can be good if you go simply. I take the meat and cut it into 1/8" slices. Cut with the grain for that ripping or tearing effect. I put mine on cookie cooling sheets which are 1/4" wire mesh sheets and bake at 225-250 until the meat is dry and tough. Seasonings are pretty simple. Cracked black pepper and either slap your mama or Lowries season salt. Add a bit of extra salt if you like that. No preservatives. It keeps for a couple weeks and you can freeze it in an airtight bag and it will keep for several months. Jerky is Really good stuff. Safe and very healthy if you can keep the preservatives out of it.

I had a few dryers but they are nasty to clean and kept breaking. Good luck with yours. Keep the receipts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I am willing to be a taste tester if that helps.
    I already know that tasters are easy to come by!!

I've made a couple batches of beef and used the spice pack that came with the jerky gun using extra low fat (96%) ground beef.
    It looks like dog treats but everybody seems to love it.

The sweet salmon jerky I made with teriyaki and agave nectar and salt and ginger got some odd initial looks but got eaten up like candy.

Thinking a nice doe shoulder will work well with salt and pepper and does not need any over-spicing.

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    Cut the meat about 1/4 inch thick across the grain, let it sit in a baggy overnight and let it rest.
    I soak mine in a very light salt brine using sea salt. It is not as strong tasting as table salt. And it helps kill bacteria.
    I mix Tony Cachere's creole or cajun seasoning with a little brown sugar and lightly season.
    I dry mine until it is rock hard and totally dry. The less moisture, the longer it keeps. I have stored in a baggy in the fridge up to 2 years without spoiling.

Some dried potatoes, carrots, peas and presto, you have a decent soup or stew. Or just something tasty to snack on that won't spoil.

Why across the grain and why let it rest overnight?

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Across the grain makes it easier to bite off and chew.
    Let it rest overnight. It lets some of the stronger tasting capilary blood drain out.I only soak mine in brine an hour or so. Then drain for a while on paper towels. Helps take the moisture out without taking too much nutrition.
    I like mine rock hard, not chewy. Keeps longer.

from an idgit coffeeholic

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    Across the grain makes it easier to bite off and chew.
    Let it rest overnight. It lets some of the stronger tasting capilary blood drain out.I only soak mine in brine an hour or so. Then drain for a while on paper towels. Helps take the moisture out without taking too much nutrition.
    I like mine rock hard, not chewy. Keeps longer.

from an idgit coffeeholic

Very helpful I will try this thanks

will_em

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2016

Thanks for the recipe. You can't go wrong with anything that uses Tony Cacheres.

STXdevilsquid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Live Oak
    My favorite batch I've made so far was this year, a couple weeks ago I took a couple hams, sliced them up, semi frozen, easier, 1/4 inch strips. I don't crioss grain my jerky, I like to tear it off when eating. I soaked it over night in cure and "Tiger sauce". Then the next morning laid it out sprinkled with fiesta "Jerky seasoning" and then dehydrated desired times. Was awesome, the tiger sauce would take a while to kick in and it would get better with every chew.
    i used the pink fiesta cure, or #1 cure.

Top Bottom