Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Pic changed on mine now.

The camera is really small and weighs almost nothing, but it's also a really low powered transmitter. They don't list the specs but my guess is 11mw based only on the model number and the fact that the other model matched the number to mw.

Next step will be a better camera and either 250 or 600mw transmitter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Camera is sitting on a standard size business card for reference.

Also, it can go on anything from an RC car to your dogs head.

I want to line one up behind an EoTech and shoot around corners.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Just ran the small quad out to about 200 yards. Went upwind so I could just let off the sticks and it would blow back in to range if I lost signal.

Was getting a little snowy and would cut out for 1/4 second or so every so often, otherwise I was surprised at the range I could get. Probably helps that there aren't many competing signals around.

Dropping a little too low and getting behind a tree at that range probably would have cut the signal completely.

Tried to chase some birds but the camera quality isn't quite high enough to follow something that small through changing light conditions. It takes the camera a second to adjust from lighter to darker views (facing towards/away from the sun). Clear enough to fly, but not track something small and moving.

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    Yep, you need a higher end camera if you want to get a better sun/no sun image. Mine does that but not that bad though and is still easily usable.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    As cool as you can be wearing a pair of goggles with an antenna sticking out of the side while sitting with your head cocked sideways like an idiot.

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    I find standing easier than sitting but when my back starts to hurt I don't get picky. I just put my head down if I notice I start to do something stupid looking.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Put the camera on the Delta Ray yesterday and had a blast. Getting about 100 yards out of it, was about to take it about 200 yards with the quad and low humidity, but it looks like 100 yards will be about the limit for reliable signal on any given day. Not bad for such a low power Tx and stock omni antenna.

What are you getting from the 250mw, Brandon?

From what I'm reading I'd need to drop down to 1.2ghz or lower to get past 500 yards (2.4 is out due to Tx frequency overlap)

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    I pushed mine closer to the 200-250 yard point before getting fuzzy. If I upgrade the antennae from rubber ducks to the clover leaf, that supposedly gives me way more range. It was hot, dry, and in the evening the last time I flew it that far. It's also a large open field that I fly in near the high school, so there isn't much for the sine wave to bounce on. I'm sure it goes even further if I adjusted the frequency but I have no desire to go much further since I would be in someone else's property or too far out to be able to recover it should something fail. When I build a hex-copter, I will feel a bit more secure since a rotor can fail and still fly.

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I get 100 yards all around except 1 direction where I can get 200.

That's with a cloverleaf on the Tx and whatever fat shark has hidden under the plastic cover of their antenna. Probably another cloverleaf.

Reviews on the FatShark antenna are fairly crap, but I'll wait a little while to upgrade it.

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    Yeah there are some nice Immersion RC ones on Amazon that apparently do wonders. The range is supposedly a mile on mine but I doubt I'd ever get that kind of range.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    My understanding is that you'll only see that kind of range using a helical antenna on the Rx. Then you have the issue of flying outside the beam and losing signal completely at long distance.

Not really the way I want because I like to fly all over. Not in the mood to go with a diversity setup at this point so I'll just look for a better polarized antenna when I upgrade my Vtx

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    Yeah, that kind of range is worthless for what I do with my stuff. I just like to haul ass around at 45-55 mph. I learned last year to not do that for extended amounts of time or the battery puffs up and nearly explodes. My quad had come down out of the sky and the most that got damaged was one prop. The battery went back down and is fine.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Have you looked in to a higher C rate battery?

I know many times they rate planes/quads to what "works" for the battery. My 3D plane said a 30C battery was required but every one got extremely hot and puffed. Bumped to a 45C and the issue went away even burning through the entire battery flying 3D, which is equivalent to you burning a battery running the quad at its limit.

I like flying and it takes a larger plane to fight the wind. Unless I just want to fly in circles I need to get about a 500 yard radius to really enjoy it. Especially if I achieve my goal of running 80+mph with the Rare Bear. Currently is be out of range in about 3 seconds, lol.

Top Bottom