• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I'll be up all night my oldest dog might be dieing.:( I went to the emergency vet clinic and they wanted $293 just to X-ray her chest twice! Right now I'm going over finances to try and pay her vet bill for tomorrow. (I'm taking her to her regular cheaper vet) The emergency vet did look at her for free because of a mistake by her office staff. The problem I have is that I don't have $300 to pay for a hospital visit for me let alone my dog. The vet said I need to think about putting her down and I don't have the $100 for that today either. Anyway sorry for the rant
    Lynx Defense

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    I feel you pain. We've been pet owners for a long time and have seen some good ones come and go. We have two new puppies and recently lost a cat that almost made it to 21.

Before we picked the puppies up, I told the wife and kids. Do not get these unless you are willing to deal with out living them. They are family.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Yeah I was not ready for it to be this soon tho, she was about 6 only 6. I found a vet that had great prices you know they care about the animals not the money. Anyway we took her in to the vet found out that it was heart worms that had spread to her lungs. this was all with no warning at all she was fine Thursday Friday she was to sic to walk. I had to put her down on saturday. She will be missed and will never be replaced, she was probably the best, sweetest and one of the smartest dogs that I have ever owned.:(

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    She will be missed and will never be replaced, she was probably the best, sweetest and one of the smartest dogs that I have ever owned.:(

Sorry for your lost. When Hurricane IKe knocked dwon my fence, I was worried about our dog getting out. My nieghbor on one side put up the fence without my help and didn't do a very good job. Well sure enough one evening we got home and she was gone. I've been driving around the nieghborhood a couple of times a week (for 2 months)to see if I can find her, but no luck. I told the family if we don't find her, maybe we'll look for another dog in May.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Sorry for you loss bigcountry. I know what you're going through. Although it's been a lot of years, the dog we had as a kid growing up did the same thing when I was about 18-19. I came home and she growled at me and tried to get away. I was freaked out. She never showed any aggression. She was trying to get into her dog house but could barely crawl. My Mom and I took her to the vet and it was the same thing, heart worms, and it was too late. Luckily I was there so I had to give the word to put her down.

Many many years later, and with my own family, we have 2 Yorkies and you can bet, every month they get their treatment.

It's one of those things like insurance, you may never need it, but when find out you do need it, it's too late.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Thanks to all, I appreciate it greatly. The hardest part was giving the green light to put her down, they asked if I wanted to stay with her but I couldn't bear to watch her die. And correction she was not "the best dog I ever owned", but the best friend I've ever had.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I am sorry for your loss.

Everyone else... you can prevent this for less than $100 per year per dog. We live in Texas where we have mosquitos year round. Dont cheap out just because your dog is inside 90% of the time. All it takes is one infected mosquito, just one.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    I am sorry for your loss.

Everyone else... you can prevent this for less than $100 per year per dog. We live in Texas where we have mosquitos year round. Dont cheap out just because your dog is inside 90% of the time. All it takes is one infected mosquito, just one.

+1

Get to a monthly preventative.

We have had Chester (our Labrador) on Revolution since we got him in '04 and he was a pup. Revolution does require a prescription and is a bit expensive since it is a all-in-one parasite preventative, but its real peace of mind knowing he's covered inside and out.

Revolution (selamectin) stops fleas and prevents heartworms.

The cooler climates we were in were more forgiving, but down here in the heat & humidity we don't chance it.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Been there done that! I hate vets. I see them as worse then vermin. If you can find a good one keep them. I've been very luck as most of my dawgs lived 16 years. It's never easy for me to say good bye to any of the ones I've had to put down.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Been there done that! I hate vets. I see them as worse then vermin. If you can find a good one keep them. I've been very luck as most of my dawgs lived 16 years. It's never easy for me to say good bye to any of the ones I've had to put down.
    It just seems to me that they (one in particular) were more worried about how I was going to pay them than my dog, and that doesn't seem right to me. I finally found a good one that I will be going to from now on or until this one dose something to piss me off.
    And to everyone my fiance and I would both like to thank you for your support and condolences.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    I just noticed this thread...my condolences, Big Country.

As someone who has spent over $15,000.00 (yes, fifteen thousand) on various surgeries over the last 2 years on our 2 dogs, I can empathize. Thankfully, we have three wonderful vets (one for general, one for orthopedic surgery, and one for opthamology).

Reacher

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2008
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I am very sorry for your loss. Losing a pet is always tough. I only know of 2 times in his life when my grandfather cried. When my aunt passed away and when he had to put down his dog.

Top Bottom