Guns International

Veterans Day Appreciations: Where to get shown love for your service.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pistolpadre

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    special thread.. thanks Acera.. Not planing on much of anything .. Glolden Corral here in PHX also has a free meal..

might have the Grandkids over so they pass in review.. two girls 7 and 9.. taught them marching cadence, and some basics just for fun last year at a sleep over.. they really enjoy it.. Gloria doesn't quite have the salute down.. more like shooting me the bird..
    Guns International

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Guess it's a little too late now, but Cotton Patch was giving free chicken fried steak dinners to veterans and active duty tonight.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    I decided to forego silly superficial facebook messages today.
    This is pretty awesome. That is one of the things that piss me off the most about society. They show their support by copy pasting some crap chain link picture or message but the next day they forget all about it.

Neither one of you have any idea how those who copy pasted some crap chain link picture or some silly superficial facebook message treat and/or honor Veterans throughout the year. NONE.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Today, I enjoyed two parades, a free carwash from the carwash barn, free ice cream with my lunch at Chick-fil-a, free ICEE's at 7-11, and free dinner at McAlisters. I could have gone for a free movie at the nice theater in belton and a free haircut at sport clips, but those two I passed on. Overall, it was a very good day.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I guess I squandered it, lol. I went to work and then took about a 45 minute ride on the bike when I got home.

Oh, and was told Veterans Day wasn't meant for me, that was interesting.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Ok younggun, who do I need to go slap around? I'm actually disappointed you didn't go to at least one business that was offering something for the vets.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Lol, I almost blew up. But decided it wasn't worth it. I know what I did and my pride comes from within, not from what others say and typically keep my service quiet. I get uncomfortable when people do all the "thank you"s and stuff.

I did try to explain to the guy how it all works and that I have a lot of respect for those kicking in doors in Baghdad or who crawled through tunnels in Vietnam, but that doesn't take away from what I did. He didn't get it so I dropped it and managed to only be passive aggressive the rest of the day.

Willy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2009
    Ellis County
    I had a free burger at Chili's for lunch and took my Korean War veteran FIL to dinner with my family to Cancun's in Red Oak for dinner. Good day. I'll be going to these places a lot more now. I haven't been treated that well in a long time.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    When I first got out, I had a guy I worked with tell me that I wasn't really considered a real vet since I wasn't kicking in doors. Then I asked him what he did in the military. Turns out, he never served. He only idolized the Marines. I have nothing wrong with the Marines-I think they're pretty cool, actually-but unless you've served, you don't really have much room to shit talk.

The negatives aside, though-it's great seeing how the community comes together and can give Veterans a nice day once a year.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    I copied a pic to the PW thread today.

Lol

Neither one of you have any idea how those who copy pasted some crap chain link picture or some silly superficial facebook message treat and/or honor Veterans throughout the year. NONE.

Youre right. I wasnt saying as a whole this is how people are. Im talking about those who are like that. Specifically the ones who i know personally.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Sport Clips was an early stop, upgraded my 'free' choice to the level I normally get there, with tip $6.

Herself and I went to Hooters for lunch, would have been reasonable if we had not had also indulged in fried pickles and a few adult drinks :) , but hey, one entree was comped by them so pretty happy about that.

Got a couple of free drinks at my local bar from another veteran whom I had bought a 'Thank you for Serving' drink for, and a second off the books drink from the bartender...............imagine that :flag:

By no means necessary, it was nice to be honored yesterday by so many.

Good news is that every place required valid proof, and that 'Veteran' tag on my TDL was definitely worth the effort in getting it placed there.

CrazedJava

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2013
    DFW

That's a pretty silly thing to say when you don't even know who is on my Facebook list.

CrazedJava

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2013
    DFW
    Your previous comment referred to FB collectively, not your list.

I'm done with the matter.

I think you're reading into the matter to find offense, possibly because you posted something on FB.

Let me clarify, posting something on social media was not enough for me this year. My friends who are vets get appreciated throughout the year so I used this day of recognition to do something for a veteran who was not in my regular social circles. I could care less if that is all someone else did. Free country and all that.

Sheesh.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    When I first got out, I had a guy I worked with tell me that I wasn't really considered a real vet since I wasn't kicking in doors. Then I asked him what he did in the military. Turns out, he never served. He only idolized the Marines. I have nothing wrong with the Marines-I think they're pretty cool, actually-but unless you've served, you don't really have much room to shit talk.

The negatives aside, though-it's great seeing how the community comes together and can give Veterans a nice day once a year.

People like that who have never served and don't stand behind us, can gladly stand in front of us.

Top Bottom