ARJ Defense ad

ViaSat Satellite Internet Service.......

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Darqhelmet

You had one job, one.
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2018
    Kaufman County
    Cell phone hotspot works great with either 4 or 5g. Add a line, get hotspot capable cheap phone, leave phone used in to charger and as they say

CHARGE ON!
    Brick house surrounded by oaks in the bottom of a large bowl. We have pour to no coverage. The tower is to fix that and go to LOS internet.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Downside to hotspots is the cost. Not sure how much unlimited plans are now, but last time I looked at them pricing was about $10/gig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    No extra charge on t mobile and unlimited data.

Just the cost of the standard cell service and the cheapest phone that does hotspot.

If you use you personal everyday phone you can forgo the additional line and phone, but the whole house loses internet when you go out of range. So setwe everyone's phone up to serve as a hot spot.

You are just making better use of what you already pay for that way.

Last edited:

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Right now I have not a lot of options, and I have until the first part of November to make up my mind, but right now I'm leaning towards giving ViaSat a try and see how well they work out for us.

Thanks to all that gave advice and suggestions, as it was much appreciated.

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    Sister in law has viasat, she's just across the driveway in the cabin. I have Verizon Jetpack, daughter has some other satellite at her house out front. Give me a shout if you want to test it out.

Not today, I'm having some concrete poured.

G O B

School of Hard Knocks and Sharp blows
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Hays Co.
    Here in the 'hills, we had Hughes net (it BLOWS), and now have Hill Country, a line of sight provider. They suck too, just no where near as badly.
    bit they STILL suck !

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I decided we are going to take a chance on the ViaSat. My guess is, I will get hopefully great or at least decent service for as long as the contract is valid, and then in two years if it goes badly, maybe by then there will be more options available to us for internet.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas

We have been on the wait list for starlink since Feb. they have our 100 dollars and that’s it. I can’t talk to anyone. Zero info, zero updates. Just hope and wait. The dates keep changing and the reviews keep getting worse.

Some friends in AZ have had starlink since may, they love it. Solid connection for zoom/video conferencing and VPN.

This is what they’ve posted for speeds

a96872fe4db716ca087bec4ecd610e4e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Darqhelmet

You had one job, one.
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2018
    Kaufman County
    Some friends in AZ have had starlink since may, they love it. Solid connection for zoom/video conferencing and VPN.

I’m jealous. I really am. We just canceled our preorder. After this last update I walked around the entire two acres. I don’t have anywhere that I won’t have outages every 10 minutes our shorter according to the app. The starlink satellites are so low on the horizon it’s the same issue for me as fixed WiFi. I have to cut a bunch of trees down or put up a tower. If I’m putting up a tower I’m going with fixed WiFi.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    I’m jealous. I really am. We just canceled our preorder. After this last update I walked around the entire two acres. I don’t have anywhere that I won’t have outages every 10 minutes our shorter according to the app. The starlink satellites are so low on the horizon it’s the same issue for me as fixed WiFi. I have to cut a bunch of trees down or put up a tower. If I’m putting up a tower I’m going with fixed WiFi.

At some point they’ll out more birds in the sky so your signal will be overhead.

I guess the question is, when?

2ManyGuns

Revolver's, get one, shoot the snot out of it!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    Brick house surrounded by oaks in the bottom of a large bowl. We have pour to no coverage. The tower is to fix that and go to LOS internet.

How do you pour that coverage? Would it not be poor coverage that you pore over as you pour syrup over your waffles.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    At some point they’ll out more birds in the sky so your signal will be overhead.

I guess the question is, when?

As often as we can see them run across the sky trying to get in position, I would t think it’d be too terribly long.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.

Any idea what they are lying for those speeds?

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Either they are throttling you, someone is hogging all the downwind bandwidth or a bunch of debris from India blowing a Sattelite out of the sky with a missile last March has made its way between you and your geosynchronous Sattelite. Or the wind blew and misaligned your dish.

Personally I would blame India.

Also, Hughes net is garbage. But you gotta piss with the cock ya got

Top Bottom