Join TexasGunTalk

Vintage Tichy double-barrel shotgun info?

Discussion in 'Shotguns' started by coachrick, Sep 27, 2013.

1. coachrick

coachrick TGT Addict

Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    Howdy shotgunners...I'm a handgun guy who is dropping in to ask for a little info about a shotgun I've received. It's engraved/stamped with TICHY just in front of the trigger guard and there are other stamps/engravings that are partially legible, including one that reads "Pat'd June 1st 1880".

I've gargled a bit but come up with mainly commercial links for online retailers and very little info about the Vichy brand of shotguns. Do we have a central Texas Vichy expert on TGT? Pardon my ignorance of the qualifications of those in the Shotgun forum...as I mentioned, I'm a handgun guy(so far).

Thanks everso!
    CoachRick

2. Andy

Andy Active Member

Sep 13, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    There are some interesting info and images here

3. coachrick

coachrick TGT Addict

Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    Thanks for that link...some beautiful work there. Unfortunately, 'my' Tichy does not have any ornate engraving, but does have some similar markings for certain codes(I guess). I shall continue to research...

4. Ricklovesbacon

Ricklovesbacon TGT Addict

Feb 2, 2013
    Austin
    Try McBride's those guys have a lot of knowledge on identifying firearms.

Sent from the Bacon isle at your local grocery store.

5. coachrick

coachrick TGT Addict

Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    Thanks original Rick...I reckon I could bring it to a Friday lunch gathering...in case yous guys have any ideas about it.

6. coachrick

coachrick TGT Addict

Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    So, there is this metal 'chinking' bridging the space between the barrels...highly resilient as it springs back when I try to re-place it. It has peeled away along about 1/3 of the barrel length. Interesting design.
    I haven't found an 'anatomy' book that labels this gap-filling material. I'm sure it has a name that I will be embarrassed not to know. Anyone?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013