• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tank

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2022
    Houston
    What are you guys using for a vise block clamp?

I've seen a few specific for models like the AR-15, but not much for various models. Like I would want to use a clamp that worked for an AR, Shotty, M1A etc...

Saw this on Amazon...but have some doubts it would be sufficient.
    Screenshot_20221023-175349_Samsung Internet.jpg

I appreciate your opinions and suggestions!
    ARJ Defense ad

Last edited:

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    It would work for some of what you want to do.......I use a lower receiver vice block a lot for almost all AR15/AR10 type work except for torquing barrels ect....and use upper receiver rods for those......

Everything else is just soft jaws in the vice except for a barrel vise for bolt action barrels.............

1667022955788.png

1667022991616.png

1667023025305.png

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Yeah what vtach said. Don’t get caught up buying something when you don’t know what jobs may come and sometimes you may have to make something.

Using soft wood in vise jaws and painters tape around barrels/parts works just fine.

A good vise and arbor press can do a lot of things when you modify them.

Tank

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2022
    Houston
    Gotcha, thanks guys! I surmise that I should be looking at it as an "as needed" mentality as opposed to buy up everything just in case... Sometimes I really do feel like a child when it comes to this hobby.

I have one of those lower receiver vise blocks I bought years ago when I took that class on building an AR from scratch. Picked up a pair of attachments for the vise that are what I think you mean with the soft jaws.
    20221029_071827.jpg

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    It would work for some of what you want to do.......I use a lower receiver vice block a lot for almost all AR15/AR10 type work except for torquing barrels ect....and use upper receiver rods for those......

Everything else is just soft jaws in the vice except for a barrel vise for bolt action barrels.............

View attachment 352230

View attachment 352231
    View attachment 352232

Same here. Just finally bought a barrel vise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    Gotcha, thanks guys! I surmise that I should be looking at it as an "as needed" mentality as opposed to buy up everything just in case... Sometimes I really do feel like a child when it comes to this hobby.

I have one of those lower receiver vise blocks I bought years ago when I took that class on building an AR from scratch. Picked up a pair of attachments for the vise that are what I think you mean with the soft jaws. View attachment 352241

I have some of the magnetic soft jaws for my vise like that and honestly they suck. The magnets just barely hold them in place and if you put any decent amount of torque on them they try to slip out of the vise jaws. I’m currently looking for a permanently attached solution if anyone has any suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    If I could have only two vise blocks for AR-15 builds, they'd be:

Midwest Industries Upper Receiver Rod
    NcStar Lower Receiver Vise Block

That MI receiver rod works excellent for barrel assembly. It's more expensive than some alternatives, but worth the money IMO. With the "fin" on the top, it holds the receiver and barrel extension rock solid so you can be confident in torquing the barrel nut or muzzle device without having to worry about damaging the receiver. Well worth the peace of mind.

I'm a tool snob and would normally never consider anything from NcStar. That said, that vise block is decent quality and absolutely worth the price. Works great for assembling lowers and torquing the castle nut while maintaining alignment of the receiver extension.

TEXAS "All or nothing"

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2021
    Texas
    Action rods are fine for torquing barrel nuts and keeping the upper from being bent out of shape. 1 thing that action rods might not help is when removing muzzle devices that are way tight. That could possibly loosen/tighten the barrel extension and change headspace. A barrel vise would be a better choice for that. AR tool buying questions, well I'm a good source for answers in this area. Tips, advice, consultation and most anything msr/ar related I can help!

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    For AR15's, i really like the magpul BEV block.

For messing with castle nuts and stuff, i have a plastic vise block that clam shells around the tube. I cant remember who makes it, but its nice and simple.

I never felt the NCStar block was all that necessary, unless i had to assemble a bunch in a row.

TEXAS "All or nothing"

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2021
    Texas
    Light weight work (scope rings, lower installs, buffer assemblies, gas blocks, handguard type work) I'll just use a mag block or a well used mag that doesn't function well.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gilly
    Top Bottom