• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Captain38

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    I'm a retired State Police Captain from the southeastern part of the country. My wife and I and another couple will be visiting San Antonio's Riverwalk area and staying at the Homewood Suites on West Market.

Can you recommend anything in particular other than the Alamo that we need to do while we're in the city?
    DK Firearms

kerryp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Bastrop
    Here are a couple ideas:

[URL]http://www.buckhornmuseum.com/[/URL]

This is about an hour away in Fredricksburg and also has a lot of good antique shopping downtown to keep the little lady interested:
    [URL]http://www.nimitz-museum.org/[/URL]

Also about an hour and change drive away in Johnson City:
    [URL="http://www.nps.gov/LYJO"]www.nps.gov/LYJO[/URL]

Good thing about the two places above is that they will give you a chance to see the Texas Hill Country.

The San Antonio Zoo is a pretty good zoo.

If you like amusement parks, Seaworld and Six Flags Fiesta Texas

And of course eat some world famous Tex-Mex with a top shelf margarita.

Theres tons of other stuff to do, those were just off the top of my head, I'm sure the SA guys will speak up....and Austin is only 1.5 hours away if you wanna visit the Capital and Texas History Museum, etc.

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    Sorry I never get off the River-walk. After some good tex-max and a few margaritas you just want to sit and watch the people go by. LOL!!
    Have fun!!!

Jeff B

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Flower Mound, TX
    It's a bit touristy, but do the boat ride on the Riverwalk... I'd been going to SA for years on business, and finally took some relatives there, they wanted to do the boat trip and it was nice, and the guids was informative.

Also, take the ladies to La Villita, its a group of shops just off the Riverwalk (Ask for directions).

If you want a break from the Riverwalk and like MExican (no trouble in SA) try La Fogata... nice patio & great Margaritas/

Jeff B.

wrtanker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2009
    Ft. Worth
    Welcome to Texas! If you (or your wives) like antique shopping and don't want to make the drive to Fredericksburg you should take a look at Boerne. It's about a 1/2 hour up Interstate 10. It has some great old shops and a Texas-German atmosphere. There are some great restaurants there as well as a very nice ice cream shop (soda fountain).

In San Antonio there's the Hemisfair Tower restaurant. I've never been there but it's one of the places I'd like to try some day. I'm kind of new to San Antonio myself and don't go into town much.

Hope you enjoy your visit!

cnl390

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    Just south of downtown is the King William historical district which is a neighborhood of old mansions that have been renovated, if you like that kind of stuff. Also south of downtown, within walking distance of your hotel from about Alamo & Durango to Alamo and Probandt, are a bunch of cool little shops and restaurants. On the 1st Friday of every month an event called, guess what, 1st Friday is held. All these places will be open, there will be street vendors, bands, etc. And it all is topped of at Blue Star Art Space which is an old industrial complex that is now full local artists, and there is the Blue Star Brewing Company & restaurant. Great event to walk around and have fun. Great people watching.

Top Bottom