• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SmokeyWhisper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2014
    Ft. Worth
    I had started a while ago with a stripped lower and my 1st AR 'build'. I didn't want just a regular stripped $50 lower. I found the Gonzales lower here and fell in love. http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/rifles/56084-houston-made-billet-lowers-gonzales-flag.html

I got started on my build right away by adding a Daniel Defense lower parts kit and had a blast putting it together! http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/rifles/58744-1st-ar-build.html

Since then, I have changed the grip to a finger grooveless Houge full beavertail. I love its supple texture.

Well, I had to find an upper worthy of the lower and so I started browsing the net and forum post after forum post. One thing I do not do is skimp out and get substandard parts. Cost has nothing to do with it. If the right part is $5 or $500, buying something should match the purpose. There is a TON of AR support and reputable manufacturers and dealers which can make the decision even tougher to sort through.

After dodging the concept of going after the popular or current 'ideal' builds which are easy, common but definately worth doing, I took a while to review the cartridge itself. The average, run of the mill M4 is great for 'gun and run' at engagements out to 200m. The 5.56 is capable of longer distances, but squeezing out better accuracy is key. I can easily hit balloons (which are great reactive targets) at 200m easy, but hitting a tennis ball is a bit harder. Now put that ball at 300m, 400m or 600m! It gets a lot harder.

I decided on building an accurate, long range, take the 5.56 to the limit, rifle length (not Middy or Carbine), SPR or DMR type rifle.

This would require some premium parts to ensure accuracy. After searching for a while, I narrowed my decision between a SunDevil upper or a Vltor MUR 1A. One if the things I read which will give you a good idea about things is this Sun Devil Mfg. AR-15 Heavy-Walled Billet Receiver Review | Western Shooter

Just recently, I checked MidwayUSA and found the MUR for about $150! AND it has a SWORD emblem!? SOLD! Ha! https://www.vltor.com/shop/featured/mur-modular-upper-receiver/

The real reasons for making my decision between these two designs over a regular COLT or other name brand was because of the extra thickness in the receiver. The extra thickness adds to rigidity of the build. On the AR, this extra stifness will lend favorable qualities towards accuracy.

So where am I at now? Parts research and posting these pics to keep you interested in hearing about what comes next...

20141117_052319_zpszor1awro.jpg

20141117_052200_zpsmvfqtms8.jpg

Not too worried about this gap. My Bushmaster has a little bit too.
    20141117_052555_zpsol4eqloa.jpg

The charging handle will be replaced with a Gas Buster, but for now, this one fits the theme.
    20141117_052850_zpscc3qi83i.jpg

Vltor MUR has a lifetime warranty as long as I don't change or alter it in any way. Guess this dust cover will have to go on something else.
    20141117_052712_zpsdd8o87t1.jpg

Side by side comparison with my Bushmaster.
    20141118_023512_zpsmyoydlu2.jpg

20141118_023548_zps82yyjycw.jpg

20141118_023537_zpsjjqktskw.jpg

20141118_023523_zpskkt4yrjx.jpg

More to come...
    DK Firearms

Last edited:

SmokeyWhisper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2014
    Ft. Worth
    Going through all parts options at the moment. I have really narrowed it down by favoring accuracy. Possibly going with a Mk12 Mod 0! Douglas premium barrel, proven accuracy... can't go wrong there. As for the stock, I like the A2 style but it is a fixed stock. They are cheaper and functional but Magpul's UBR looks like a perfect solution.

SmokeyWhisper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2014
    Ft. Worth
    I 'want' to hit a grapefruit at 1000yards with something some day. I figure working on hitting a tennis ball at 500m is a good place to graduate to.

Top Bottom