• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shona7

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    East Texas
    Big Lucky touched on the right idea, Sausage, ANY hog cleaned right, & made into sausage is great. I'll be happy to help thin out your hog population---contact me

JoeinTX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2008
    Well biglucky, my guess is that you have never had a taste of south Texas wild boar hog. They are NOT very good eating once they are mature. Maybe the little ones would cook up nice but a mature boar hog.....I would have to take your word for it.

ED ZACHARY!

The BEST homemade BBQ I've ever had was a nice young boar trapped off a neighbor............fantastic. The older and tougher they get the more gamey and hard to cook they are.

Personally, I do not hunt to keep. I am a varmint/pest hunter and leave them where they lie. This is why I am not a deer/turkey/quail hunter since I do not like to clean an animal. But I have asked, nay implored, locals I know to come out and pick up freshly killed hogs at no price for the meat. Virtually no takers. Take it.....use the meat.......free...........little interest especially since the price of them has collapsed. The only certified buyers, now, are between 60-110 miles away from us. Doesn't make killing/trapping one or two or even a dozen very profitable right now.

eriadoc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    A friend of mine has some land that is pretty overrun with boars. He has asked me to come out and hunt them, but I've never hunted boar. Anyone have any good resources for finding out what I need to get started? TIA.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    A friend of mine has some land that is pretty overrun with boars. He has asked me to come out and hunt them, but I've never hunted boar. Anyone have any good resources for finding out what I need to get started? TIA.

Judging by some of the posts here, you're likely to get a lot of "Hey, just bring me along and I'll show you how it's done" responses.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Hey eriadoc, where's you buddys place at ? There are so many factors in how I hog hunt it is hard to find a place to start. I guess the first two things are a place to do it and a fairly powerful gun to get it done. As you've probably already read here, I don't eat em' but I am always happy to put a few down when I get a chance. I would start by surveying the property to get a good idea of where and when is the best spot to bait. If you are lucky enough to have a natural food or water source then you are pretty much already set. The TPWD(tX parks n wildlife) site can give you some basic info and history but all that really matters is, be safe, know which direction is ok to shoot in, know where your huntin' pals are at and when you seem em' coming in packs, fire away. They are typically stupid enough to keep runnin' down the same trails and never seem to mind the sight of or smell of their own dead. Save the heavy beer drinkin' for after the hunt. IME it is a quite a luxury to have a decent 4 wheeler around to drag em' off the roads/trails after a successful days hunt. If you have little experience with guns, you should probably start there. You need to know where your bullets hit and at what range to kill them humanely(1 shot, death within seconds, etc.) from there on out, you're huntin' - Texmex

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Hoji,

The "wee piggies" to about 60# are GREAT simply gutted/skinned out & cooked whole on the BBQ pit. And mixed with venison, they make good sausage. too.

Otoh, we have a cowgirl out of OK who comes to our farm up in NE Texas, traps them, takes them back to OK & sends out a check quarterly.
    (My kid sister calls it "my Christmas fund".)

yours, satx

Last edited:
    Top Bottom