• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    I recently bought a Vortex Venom 3 mil red dot sight to put on my new G19 Gen 5 MOS pistol.
    This weekend I attached the optics to my Glock. No problems. I then removed the battery cover and placed the battery (that came with the Venom sight) into the optic. No problem. I worked for over thirty minutes trying to get the battery cover to go back on. No luck!
    The battery well and battery cap have very fine threads. I was extremely careful not to apply too much pressure to the battery cap and was very careful to initially rotate the cap counter clockwise slightly before attempting to screw it down clockwise. I could take the battery back out and the battery cap would go on without a problem.
    I see a lot of internet bitching about the battery issue on this Venom optics, so I guess I am not the only one with this problem. Anyone have one of the Venom sights and do you have any tips for working with this battery cap?
    ARJ Defense ad

TEXAS "All or nothing"

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2021
    Texas
    I recently bought a Vortex Venom 3 mil red dot sight to put on my new G19 Gen 5 MOS pistol.
    This weekend I attached the optics to my Glock. No problems. I then removed the battery cover and placed the battery (that came with the Venom sight) into the optic. No problem. I worked for over thirty minutes trying to get the battery cover to go back on. No luck!
    The battery well and battery cap have very fine threads. I was extremely careful not to apply too much pressure to the battery cap and was very careful to initially rotate the cap counter clockwise slightly before attempting to screw it down clockwise. I could take the battery back out and the battery cap would go on without a problem.
    I see a lot of internet bitching about the battery issue on this Venom optics, so I guess I am not the only one with this problem. Anyone have one of the Venom sights and do you have any tips for working with this battery cap?
    I have several of the same optic and you need slight down pressure to square it before tightening. If not smooth then don't force it.

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    I tried that. Even with moderate downward pressure I could still see the shiny smooth area below the threads on the cap.
    Talked to the Vortex people this morning. The Service Tech is sending me another battery cap to try. I explained the exact procedure I used in trying to get the battery cap to go on. He said I did everything correctly, so maybe the battery cap is too short.
    I bought the Venom because I wanted to access the battery from the top and not have to remove/re-sight the sight when I had to change the battery. I may regret that decision.
    Administrator: It appears I have this listed in the wrong section. Will you move it to the Optics section please.
    Thank you.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I have a VV, and don't recall any issues with the cap, but it's been a few years.
    Glad to hear they are sending a new cap.

TEXAS "All or nothing"

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2021
    Texas
    I tried that. Even with moderate downward pressure I could still see the shiny smooth area below the threads on the cap.
    Talked to the Vortex people this morning. The Service Tech is sending me another battery cap to try. I explained the exact procedure I used in trying to get the battery cap to go on. He said I did everything correctly, so maybe the battery cap is too short.
    I bought the Venom because I wanted to access the battery from the top and not have to remove/re-sight the sight when I had to change the battery. I may regret that decision.
    Administrator: It appears I have this listed in the wrong section. Will you move it to the Optics section please.
    Thank you.
    Their attempt to make right is a positive note and glad to see a company do that!

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    I need to check that. I think the battery number matches the battery description in the product manual.
    Vortex shipped the new battery cap today so hopefully I can rule that out soon.

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    This battery was installed exactly per the instruction manual. The + on top the battery was facing up. I didn't want to exert too much pressure on the battery cap because I didn't want to over stress the copper connector in the mount or cross thread the battery cap.
    Avvidclif, installing the Crimson Trace optics on the S&W you bought from me was much easier than this Vortex so far.

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    I finally got the battery cap installed last night. It required considerable downward pressure to start the process. The cap had more resistance screwing down than I expected. I was careful to make sure the cap started on correctly and didn't over tighten. When the battery dies I will remove the cap. If the threads are stripped, the whole optic will go into the trash. I will go back to the time tested method of sighting in a pistol, the open sights.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I finally got the battery cap installed last night. It required considerable downward pressure to start the process. The cap had more resistance screwing down than I expected. I was careful to make sure the cap started on correctly and didn't over tighten. When the battery dies I will remove the cap. If the threads are stripped, the whole optic will go into the trash. I will go back to the time tested method of sighting in a pistol, the open sights.

Was this the old cap, or the new one?

Top Bottom