• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    Not sure if this is already being discussed, a quick search didn't turn anything up for me, but like most tech if it's in consumer hands it's already obsolete....

That being said, let's discuss VPN.

I want to get a VPN service that could protect all of the devices on my home network. (Router based?). Seems like everything is WiFi now.

Also, it would be nice if I could use it on my phones, too.

Biggest reason for the curiosity is I think my ISP is throttling my streaming content.
    Texas SOT

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    I don't have a recommendation on a particular VPN, but be aware they do use some overhead so that's something to think about if you are concerned with speed.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    I don't have a recommendation on a particular VPN, but be aware they do use some overhead so that's something to think about if you are concerned with speed.

I've read it could be as much as 10%, so that could be significant. The one I use for work is frustratingly slow, but it is old and decrepit.

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    It depends on who you use. VPNs are not fool proof like people think they are. I have a unique perspective since I'm in the IT field, used to be an engineer and now a senior instructor. They have to terminate somewhere and the encapsulation/decapsulation on the headers of the packets can add quite a bit.

They do provide some comfort and privacy but if the ISP really wants to know where you are going and what you are doing, they can and will find out. Granted the likelihood of this happening is low, as more people gravitate to a VPN, more stupidity from the ISPs will come out.

That all being said, if you want a VPN with good latency and not as much overhead, VPNs aimed at gamers tend to be a bit more solid like BlackVPN.

https://www.blackvpn.com/
    They are based in the EU so a conversion for Paypal would need to happen but they have US based VPNs. Another one that has been recommended to me in the past is TorGuard.
    https://torguard.net/

In the end, its kind of hard to get an accurate picture of which one is the "best" since some of them are aimed at different purposes and most people will only have input on one or two at most.

Symbolic

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 11, 2017
    San Angelo
    I highly recommend NordVPN. I've been using it for a year now and it's very fast while also being secure. You can choose geographically where you want your secure connection to be made and they have specialty servers as well, for instance P2P and double VPN. They have a 3-day trial period. https://free.nordvpn.com/

Top Bottom