• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    What can you say. The wording can be taken in different ways. My first idea of "abort" is to end, thus I can see how the officer saw it differently.

It went too far of course, and I'd question why an officer was concerned about a bumper sticker, but the fact is, a threat to the Presidents life is a crime not matter how it's presented. If the sticker said "kill" "you know who" (I'm not putting those 2 words together in a sentence and end up in 45 floors beneath the desert in a holding cell ) he'd likely be in custody and the investigation would be just starting.

I'm sure there is a much more heightened sense of awareness with this administration. Unfortunately, it's justified.

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    I'm sure there is a much more heightened sense of awareness with this administration. Unfortunately, it's justified.

I think this is outright abuse of power. I seriously doubt any sane adult thinks this guy was advocating violence. If that cop was my son, I'd tell him to turn in his badge, his gun, and to give back his high school diploma.

On a side note, can a mod move this to the news articles section?

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    It is wrong for a police officer to stop you and confiscate your property because of a political sign.

Yes, the sign wasn't nice, but that doesn't give them a right to violate yours.

There has been TONS of sings vowing all kinds of stuff for Bush, should they have had their signs confiscated and had a chat the Secret service? No.

We have rights, at least as wrong as we demand them.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Actually, I think it was a Class Act. The officer may have misconstrued the intent - fine. He took it to his department, who obviously conferred w/the SS. They felt it (the sign) was not intended as promoting a direct threat to the POTUS (which is a crime), and returned it to him with an apology and an offer to file a complaint. The SS did a follow-up (which, I think, was prudent), found nothing of issue, and left.
    The guy that had his sign taken, I think, responded properly - he's not running around making a huge deal of this at this point. Frankly, I don't think we should either.
    Do I like/trust/support Obama? Only to the extent that he IS POTUS. I don't trust him, feel strongly that this country will come to rue the day he was elected - but at this point, he IS our President, and as such deserves the respect of the office. That includes being very cautious where it comes to his personal safety. Let's face it - there are likely folks that'd love nothing more than to see him removed by ANY possible means, and that's just Not Right, because in the end, they'll have negated the Democratic Process - which should be of concern to ALL of us.

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    Two things, that depends on what the meaning of "is" is, and is abortion a violent act or not.

As I semi-mentioned above. A gun, a badge, and high school diploma do not give you the right to be a bad American. That cop stepped over the line and should be fired.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Oh, horse manure! He made a judgement call that was in error. He didn't abuse the guy, and by all accounts behaved in a professional manner. You want to suspend him for 1-3 days, maybe - but to lose his job over it is just WAY over-reactive, IMO.

glockrocker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    What the hell man? The SS went through the guys house to make sure he wasn't part of any "hate groups"!? and if they found damning evidense that he was..then what? never to be seen again? bollocks!

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Actually, all he had to do was deny entry w/o a search warrant and to have his attorney present. He obviously felt no threat to himself, allowed the search and it was over & done with.

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    OK Cortez, get out your tinfoil hat, the end is near!!!

Get a grip on reality. You think what this officer did was a criminal misuse of power? You must be an anarchist. I'll bet you have never made a decision that was Monday morning quarterbacked to the point someone called for your termination!

Does "Do you want fries with that?" sound familiar? You must say it about 150 times a day at work.

A$$HAT!

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    Well Robo, let's say you own, or manage, a business. Say an employee steals $20 from the cash register or does some work for one of your customers "on the side".

Do you keep the employee? I won't.

Since I'm not smart enough to figure everything out, I have to apply the rules.

lonewolf23c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    Oh, horse manure! He made a judgement call that was in error. He didn't abuse the guy, and by all accounts behaved in a professional manner. You want to suspend him for 1-3 days, maybe - but to lose his job over it is just WAY over-reactive, IMO.

IMO the peace officers are supposed to be highly trained in all situations, his "over-reaction" should cost him his job. All of these trigger happy cops, who are just out for trouble need to be reprimanded and treated the same way as they treat the average person. That cop had no right to stop that person for a bumper sticker. Hell if that was against the law to have bumper stickers most of the people where I live would be in jail.

Due to the downturn of the economy the police departments are after every little thing now just to try and get money.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Pardon me, Lone Wolf - but you're as full os sh** as a Christmas Turkey. There is NO way you can train for every situation - and when you're dealing with the potential safety of the POTUS, you err on the side of safety. The officer in question exercised judgement which I find may have been a bit on the extreme side - but just barely - but from everything I can see/read, didn't become abusive or overbearing. And since there was NO citation issued (nor the possibility of one), you're last sentence simply showed your bias all the more.
    Don't know what YOU do for a living, but I can bet you've screwed up more than once.

Top Bottom