• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • platoon2063

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    waco
    My apologies for starting a new thread. My original thread was just the announcement of the Waco Gun Show. This is a quick review.

So, it's been approx. 5 yrs since I last stepped foot in a facility holding a gun/accessories selling event. The gun show came to Waco and was held in a new building this year. I took my 76 yr old father and 10 yr old son. We lasted about three hours. The event appeared to be well attended. IMO, there was plenty to choose from. Handguns, rifles, holsters, ammo, body armor, etc. were available from many vendors. I have purchased a couple of weapons recently and am currently in the market for a ccw. That being said, I know what the current prices are for many rifle/handgun models and brands.

Unfortunately, that was the most disappointed aspect of the show (no deals). Most if not all guns for sale were priced no differently than my local brick & mortar stores and/or online. I know I've read about that very thing on this forum but, needed to see it in person i suppose. My father had fun as did I and my son. Just looking around, touching and feeling is exciting, IMO.

Many years ago, when I attended gun shows more regularly there was more bartering and trading going on. There were more quality used guns for sale. Most of the vendors, not all, were selling new guns at this show. Personally, I did not see too many transactions taking place for guns nor ammo. Saw quite a few holsters, bags, etc. being sold along with a rifle here and there but, not many. Not to poo poo on this event too much. We did have fun looking around and talking with the vendors. IMO, in the end it was worth the time spent walking around and entry cost ($18 total).
    Military Camp

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Like you, I used to be a frequent visitor of gun shows, probably monthly. Those who have been on TGT for a while know I have always been a huge advocate of them simply because I realized if we didn't support them, they wouldn't last!

But now, times have changed, and now there aren't any gun shows in San Antonio!

I quit going long before their demise, they just got to be the same thing every month.

One of the last show we went to was the first Premier one in New Braunfels, mainly because the promoters are great people who treated us here on TGT extremely well when they had shows in San Antonio. I think we may have gone to one of the last SAXET shows as well, but if we did it was unmemorable.

At this point I have zero desire to attend any gun shows, not because of the event themselves but the sad reality of the firearms market. Yet again there's been a panic which has been exploited to significantly increase prices. It's not the first time it's happened in recent memory and I refuse to take part in it.

Hopefully one day things will return to "normal," but I fear this may be the "new normal" which means unless there are extenuating circumstances to motivate me, my days of going to gun shows are over...

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Hadn't been to one in years. The last one I attended was such a disappointment for the same reasons you name.

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    Unfortunately, that was the most disappointed aspect of the show (no deals). Most if not all guns for sale were priced no differently than my local brick & mortar stores and/or online.

If that's the case, then those were good deals. Most of the time, gun show prices are well above store prices.

Thanks for the review. I almost made the drive to this one. Glad I didn't.....

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    We did a few gun shows until we opened the indoor range, then stopped. We made more money having the shop/range open than if we shut down to do a gun show. I never liked being behind the table at a gun show. It was always more fun being an attendee than a vendor for me..........

Gun shows have evolved and not necessarily in a positive way......most vendors now are dealers and trying to make a living where in the past there were far more collectors trading and adding to their collections. Some of it is regulatory pressure from ATF. No one wants to get harrassed by ATF trying to explain they are not "engaged" in the business... I did a gun show once where the show folks came around and asked to see your sales tax ID. If you didn't have it you were asked to leave the show. That was only once and in Flour Bluff.

There is also the fear of selling to someone without doing a background check. Just look at the classifieds here for the number of folks wanting a BOS, a picture of your DL or LTC or some other nonsense. We all know most mass shooters passed their background checks....I don't mind showing a DL or LTC to show residency but you're not going to take a photo or a copy of it.....

The internet is also one cause of the prices we see at gun shows. Online they are asking XXX...so mine should be priced at XXX......asking price and selling price are always two different things, but Bubba (on both sides of the table) knows what he's got!

Typically most new guns are priced about 10% over cost. There are exceptions like Pythons or some other highly desirable and hard to get guns. So on a $500.00 gun you make $50.00.....it takes a lot of sales to make any money. Gun Show tables are anywhere from $60 to $80 each. If you have 10 tables you are starting in a $600-800 hole.......you don't get a break if you rent more tables....

Guns shows have been discussed here a lot (and will continue to be). They have changed forever....I still enjoy going and looking and occasionally I will find a fair deal on something I want to add to the collection.....

I will say I have been buying more at the really small local shows than the larger area wide shows...............

platoon2063

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    waco
    I agree with everything you Gents have pointed out. This show was just not what I remember from the past. It did put a smile on my face watching my 10 yr old get excited so, I suppose it was worth the visit for that. I don't plan on attending another anytime soon. Here in Waco we were limited in our gun and accessory selection for a while. but, within the past 12 months there have been two new indoor ranges w/retail opened. Competition is a good thing no matter the product for sale.

Top Bottom