• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texasgrillchef

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2018
    Lewisville
    I applied to be a Texas LTC instructor back in February 2021. I contacted DPS and found i have been approved but waiting on classes to be scheduled.

Whats up? How often are they scheduling classes? How many people per class? This is hurting my income and business.

Anyone have any inside information?
    Texas SOT

danielrcd

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 22, 2021
    San Antonio
    Same boat except I applied in June. I've read around the forum that the classes were cut in half and will be going back to full size around Sept. Most recent instructor students that I've spoken with have said it's been approx. 6-7 month wait to be scheduled.

wakal

Just Some Guy
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Zephyr
    Going to waste half a day in Austin at the "instructor renewal" class tomorrow. I will ask directly, if I am still awake after the "training to time, not to standard" extravaganza.

Chuckles

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 4, 2021
    Fort Worth
    I applied to be a Texas LTC instructor back in February 2021. I contacted DPS and found i have been approved but waiting on classes to be scheduled.

Whats up? How often are they scheduling classes? How many people per class? This is hurting my income and business.

I applied in Feb for the second time and got my class date for the beginning for December. I got an email from them on June 21 asking to a reply to see if I wanted a seat. From the email they sent, there were only 83 seats available and I replied to confirm within an hour. Let me know if you want to know anything else.

"The Department has scheduled a License To Carry A Handgun (LTC) Instructor class to be held in Florence, Texas 76527.

In order to complete the application process, it will be necessary for you to attend the New Instructor Training Class. We are currently offering you the opportunity to attend the class on . This class will be limited to 83 spots, so your quick response is needed. Please respond by Wednesday, June 23,2021. If I don’t have a full class by then, I will move on to the next names on the list until I get a full class of 83 people.

In order to reserve your placement in the class, please respond to this email with your full name and your LTC number, if you have it Responding does not guarantee you a spot in the class, you will need to wait for the confirmation email, which will be emailed to you within 2 business days. The confirmation email will include the specific location, times and materials you will need to bring with you.

Please note: All applicants must attend the entire two days of classroom and demonstrate proficiency on the third day.

TX Department of Public Safety

Regulatory Services Division

Licensing and Registration Service"

Chuckles

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 4, 2021
    Fort Worth
    They need to have more classes
    Well, given the size of the State, mandating that everyone who wants to be an instructor in the State has to travel to Florence, TX to become certified is simply absurd. So is the requirement to have to pass the shooting test with both a revolver and a semi-auto handgun.

wakal

Just Some Guy
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Zephyr
    And that is assuming the DPS facility at Florence has their water problem fixed :D

Several in-person instructor renewal classes ago, the jumped-up over-promoted little blond bimbo driver's license clerk who had just been placed in charge of the LTC program told a room full of instructors that there were "too many" instructors, and they were going to make the process so onerous that half of the instructors would quit that year, and then half of the remaining half would quit two years later...in order to get the number of instructors that she had to manage down to a more...manageable...size.

Yesterday's instructor renewal class was astounding. The gentile old geezer who was "instructing" answered almost every question with "well, that is drilling down into the subject and we won't get into that here. I recommend that you talk to your local prosecutor or a local lawyer and have them explain it to you." But they did spend twenty minutes on the new "at risk" program that...didn't affect any instructor, but only forced DPS to "try" to get the permit turned around in ten days.

The only interesting thing was they are now requiring classes with multiple instructors to fill out class forms for each instructor, or else the paperwork would be refused.

I used to like the renewal classes back in the day when DPS would send their lawyer to explain how DPS viewed the new laws, or any actual questions people had. Ah, well.

Alex

amberloo

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2021
    texas
    Well, given the size of the State, mandating that everyone who wants to be an instructor in the State has to travel to Florence, TX to become certified is simply absurd. So is the requirement to have to pass the shooting test with both a revolver and a semi-auto handgun.
    I don't believe that is a requirement anymore.

"Once you receive your license you may carry any gun that you can legally obtain. There is no restriction on the number of guns you may carry either. It doesn't matter what type of gun you qualify with you can carry either semi or non-semi. .22 caliber and up for qualification on the range."

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    ...simply absurd. So is the requirement to have to pass the shooting test with both a revolver and a semi-auto handgun.
    Why do you feel that way? Shouldn't an instructor be expected to be proficient with almost all the equipment a student might bring?

Not trying to be confrontational, here; I'm genuinely curious why someone would feel this way.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    For the instructor course....you will qualify with a semi auto and a revolver.

You would be surprised at the folks not proficient with both......

1911'S 4 Me

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2018
    Humble
    If you consider it absurd and don't like the rules, then don't take it. You are not being forced.
    Are you here to complain about everything?

Chuckles

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 4, 2021
    Fort Worth
    I don't believe that is a requirement anymore.

"Once you receive your license you may carry any gun that you can legally obtain. There is no restriction on the number of guns you may carry either. It doesn't matter what type of gun you qualify with you can carry either semi or non-semi. .22 caliber and up for qualification on the range."
    For the instructor class it is a requirement still, which is the class I will be taking in December, and the subject of this thread.

Chuckles

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 4, 2021
    Fort Worth
    Why do you feel that way? Shouldn't an instructor be expected to be proficient with almost all the equipment a student might bring?

Not trying to be confrontational, here; I'm genuinely curious why someone would feel this way.
    Personal opinion only, revolver are antiquated and I just don’t see a purpose for them. I got rid of my last revolver only to find out I will need one for the instructor class; so now it’s created an additional financial cost for me. That’s really my main gripe with that requirement.

Chuckles

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 4, 2021
    Fort Worth
    And that is assuming the DPS facility at Florence has their water problem fixed :D

Several in-person instructor renewal classes ago, the jumped-up over-promoted little blond bimbo driver's license clerk who had just been placed in charge of the LTC program told a room full of instructors that there were "too many" instructors, and they were going to make the process so onerous that half of the instructors would quit that year, and then half of the remaining half would quit two years later...in order to get the number of instructors that she had to manage down to a more...manageable...size.

Yesterday's instructor renewal class was astounding. The gentile old geezer who was "instructing" answered almost every question with "well, that is drilling down into the subject and we won't get into that here. I recommend that you talk to your local prosecutor or a local lawyer and have them explain it to you." But they did spend twenty minutes on the new "at risk" program that...didn't affect any instructor, but only forced DPS to "try" to get the permit turned around in ten days.

The only interesting thing was they are now requiring classes with multiple instructors to fill out class forms for each instructor, or else the paperwork would be refused.

I used to like the renewal classes back in the day when DPS would send their lawyer to explain how DPS viewed the new laws, or any actual questions people had. Ah, well.

Alex
    So like every government run program, it’s a shitshow?

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Personal opinion only, revolver are antiquated and I just don’t see a purpose for them.
    Understood. I hope you also understand that letting your personal opinions hold sway over the way you approach a subject can mitigate strongly against achieving competence.

In the instant case, your personal opinions simply don't matter. If you want to be a competent LTC instructor, you have to understand the use cases for and be minimally competent with revolvers. Period. Personal opinion can dictate what equipment you use for your own purposes but it can't change the fact that an LTC instructor who doesn't know his or her way around revolvers is not competent to be an LTC instructor. As the smallest of examples and again in the instant case, when you're teaching LTC classes sometime in the future and you have students show up with 5-shot revolvers, you have to appreciate how that will impact the way you run the firing line.

I don't know you so this isn't directed at you personally. Don't take it that way. But in my experience, one easy way to tell the difference between a high-speed, low-drag poser and a competent pistol instructor is to hand them a revolver and watch them use it.

Chuckles

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 4, 2021
    Fort Worth

So any luck?

Top Bottom