Wally World Security Guard

mongoose

Sep 10, 2012
nm
Come 1 Sep, that practice will be a violation of TPC 46.02 thanks to HB1927. While a security guard can't do jack sh!t about it, LEO can.

SECTION 22. Section 46.02, Penal Code, is amended by amending Subsections (a), (a-1), and (b) and adding Subsections (a-5), (a-6), (a-7), (a-8), and (e) to read as follows:
(a-5) A person commits an offense if the person carries a handgun and intentionally displays the handgun in plain view of another person in a public place. It is an exception to the application of this subsection that the handgun was partially or wholly visible but was carried in a holster.

IIRC, that'll become a Class A misdemeanor.
Thanks

lightflyer1

Well-Known
May 2, 2015
You could argue your car isn't a public place. You can have it in your car and carry it too so you must be able to transfer it from your car to your holster. Being as discreet as possible. Outside the car would be another matter.

Axxe55

MIA-BOLO.
Dec 15, 2019
Nowhere.....Just here in East Texas.
Let me throw out this hypothetical scenario, with the same thing happening to @mongoose, if it were set ahead, after September 1st. when the new law goes in effect.

With the given new changes to the law as @toddnjoyce described, would that change how Mongoose could or should have reacted or dealt with the same scenario?

Sasquatch

Well-Known
Apr 20, 2020
Magnolia
Let me throw out this hypothetical scenario, with the same thing happening to @mongoose, if it were set ahead, after September 1st. when the new law goes in effect.

With the given new changes to the law as @toddnjoyce described, would that change how Mongoose could or should have reacted or dealt with the same scenario?

Tell security they are mistaken or must've been someone else. Or leave and go to another store to avoid the headache and potential class A charge. Maybe the security monkey pushes the issue, calls the cops, or finds the off-duty cop pulling security and makes it an issue. Even if you're armed when the cop finds you, they have to prove the woman specifically saw you with the gun in your hand. This is Texas, right? Lots of folks carrying. Even if Karen O'Karen gives a vague description "he had a big black gun" - how many modern pistols are black? What are the chances a concealed carrier is going to have a black gun? Probably better to avoid the headache and just go somewhere else. Maybe order the chinese crap you were getting from Walmart from Amazon instead? Or if groceries, go to HEB or Kroger instead.

I don't have much faith in the leadership of big city law enforcement to properly train up their officers on the new law and its intricacies, nor the discretion of a lot of cops to say "dude, be more discrete next time" instead of "welps, Karen O'Karen saw your gun in your hand and freaked out, too bad you were just putting it on your belt. That's a class A misdeameanor, so we're going to have to take you in and seize your firearm" - best case there, you spend thousands on a lawyer to get the charge dropped or to take to trial and hope you win.

Worst case, you can't afford a lawyer, you get stuck with a shit PD who just pushes you to accept a plea, and you lose your LTC if you have one, and you can't carry under the constitutional carry law either, and your gun probably doesn't get returned.

Deeper concealment methods will probably get more popular among those who are seriously into carry, come Sept 1. I'm looking into a Phlster Enigma setup as a good option. I'd also like to get my hands on a Glock 48 and some Shield Arms mags for it.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
Sep 27, 2017
Boerne

See post 69. This is real simple, Don’t confuse a private security agent with an LEO, on duty or off. You have zero requirement to answer questions from a security officer. You do not have to ID yourself, you have no duty to inform re: LTC status or being armed.

They can ask you to leave, they can throw you out, but they cannot prevent you from leaving. If they prevent you from leaving, you are being illegally detained by a private citizen. When LEO arrives or the security officer presents you to the magistrate (it’s required), tell your story to the LEO or magistrate.

Your story is I asked if I could leave and was told no. I tried to leave and was detained.

Same thing with the store manager.

480 Ruger

Jun 14, 2012
Mich
Come 1 Sep, that practice will be a violation of TPC 46.02 thanks to HB1927. While a security guard can't do jack sh!t about it, LEO can.

SECTION 22. Section 46.02, Penal Code, is amended by amending Subsections (a), (a-1), and (b) and adding Subsections (a-5), (a-6), (a-7), (a-8), and (e) to read as follows:
(a-5) A person commits an offense if the person carries a handgun and intentionally displays the handgun in plain view of another person in a public place. It is an exception to the application of this subsection that the handgun was partially or wholly visible but was carried in a holster.

IIRC, that'll become a Class A misdemeanor.
I think the meaning of the words " intentionally displays " are very different than what actually happened, which was accidentally expose, or briefly expose

CodyK

Sep 5, 2019
Houston
Went to the mall last week (don’t ask) for the first time in maybe 10 years. There was a “gun buster” sign (picture of a gun crossed out with a red line) on literally every single door and even placards placed in several areas inside the mall. The signs stated that guns were not allowed and said they had security guards and gun sniffing dogs to check! I can tell you now, it will be at least another 20 years before I go back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sasquatch

Well-Known
Apr 20, 2020
Magnolia
Went to the mall last week (don’t ask) for the first time in maybe 10 years. There was a “gun buster” sign (picture of a gun crossed out with a red line) on literally every single door and even placards placed in several areas inside the mall. The signs stated that guns were not allowed and said they had security guards and gun sniffing dogs to check! I can tell you now, it will be at least another 20 years before I go back!

Unless properly posted 30.06 / 07, those signs currently don't mean shit. Security with "gun sniffing dogs" is a lie, no doubt. Never heard of a security company that invested in actual trained dogs here in the US outside of govnerment contractors, and those dogs would be on military / nuclear / power installations or similar - not out patrolling your local mall. And those security guards can't detain you unless you've committed a crime in their presence even if their dog "alerts" on you. And who is to say you don't have a pocket full of dog treats for your dogs or random good doggos? Or maybe the dog has a fart fetish and you just broke wind.

When I did security work, one of our supervisors would bring his GSD to work. Dog was allegedly trained in protection, he just used it to scare sketchy people off of client property. Dog was huge, but relatively dumb for a GSD. He was better trained to fetch a ball than to do any "working dog" tasks. Was most certainly not a company owned or paid for dog.

rotor

Well-Known
Nov 1, 2015
Wichita Falls

That sign with accompanying picture was posted somewhere else already. Does not have an effect on LTC holder but according to Texas Law Shield lawyers that will be a valid no entry sign for CC holders, or so they say. Someone said those exact signs have been up for years.
I personally will shop at a gunbuster sign place and 30.07 place, it is only 30.06 that makes me go elsewhere. For many of these places they are walking a fine line trying to appease the Karen's and not piss off the gun owners. It will be interesting to see what happens 9/1.

Support

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
silencers
third coast
DK Firearms
Tyrant Designs
Ranier
Every Day Man
Shroud

Latest posts

Forum statistics