• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    TRIX,

Good guess, but no to owning a lawn service.

Yes, to having to mow a major amount of acreage I own (thus the goofy site name) and it's really getting old as I'm getting rather long in the tooth. Plus, my tolerance for both the effort and the hours mowing in the heat is significantly reduced from just a few years ago.

Yes, I'll take some whine with that cheese!
    DK Firearms

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Lol. But, they are the one in charge. They think they can do what ever they want and try..
    One phone call will solve that problem. Been doing it for decades.

ETA specifically on this issue, starting in AZ. Walmarts policy us to follow local law and unseen doesn't exist.

Last edited:

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne

If he’s in his LEO uniform, then I give the benefit of doubt he’s on duty and not moonlighting. LEO can make a casual contact, but I’m not required to identify myself until I’ve been arrested or, if I’m carrying AND the LEO demands ID, in which case 411.205 duty to inform comes into play. Of note, that instance would no longer be a casual contact so there should be probable cause to temporarily detain me.

LEO have a job to do and they have to do it within the bounds of the law.

Security CAN NOT detain you, unless you are caught committing a felony.
    Which is why those are the only two phrases I use with security.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    We usually have one private Security Guard and one official from LE on duty at any given time. LE may be a Police Officer, a Sheriffs Deputy or a Constable of the jurisdiction.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Here is a hypothetical question. If it was customer that saw a person with a gun, reported it to a contracted security guard, and the security guard confronted you and questioned you, are you legally required to tell them, "Yes, I'm armed, and I have a permit to carry."

If WalMart doesn't prohibit the legal carrying of firearms, and it's concealed, couldn't you tell the security guard that it was none of his business, or that customer that informed him must be mistaken?

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    Here is a hypothetical question. If it was customer that saw a person with a gun, reported it to a contracted security guard, and the security guard confronted you and questioned you, are you legally required to tell them, "Yes, I'm armed, and I have a permit to carry."

If WalMart doesn't prohibit the legal carrying of firearms, and it's concealed, couldn't you tell the security guard that it was none of his business, or that customer that informed him must be mistaken?
    I think I could have done as you suggested. However, he might have gone to get the Sheriffs Deputy who was on duty and it may have become a bigger hassle than just educating him on the store's policy.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I think I could have done as you suggested. However, he might have gone to get the Sheriffs Deputy who was on duty and it may have become a bigger hassle than just educating him on the store's policy.

Dude, a security officer CANNOT prevent you from leaving, even if it is to go get a cop, UNLESS the guard witnessed you committing a felony.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019

It was not a suggestion, but more like a hypothetical, or what-if for discussion.

You are not required to have to produce a permit to a private citizen. And most security guards are not certified peace officers, so I don't think he can demand to see your permit, and if the store isn't prohibiting the legal carry of firearms in their store, I'm not seeing where he has the right to know that you are carrying.

And secondary, if he did get an actual LE officer, again unless a criminal act was being committed, I don't think anything would go any further than that.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

No. Security officers are private citizens with no legal authority to make you do anything. You can lie to your heart's content or simply ignore their question just like you could for any other private citizen. They also can't detain you. If you decide you don't want to talk to them, you can simply turn around and leave the store.

If they tell you to leave, then I would recommend you doing so because then you can run into issues with trespassing, but other than that they have no power.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    No. Security officers are private citizens with no legal authority to make you do anything. You can lie to your heart's content or simply ignore their question just like you could for any other private citizen. They also can't detain you. If you decide you don't want to talk to them, you can simply turn around and leave the store.

If they tell you to leave, then I would recommend you doing so because then you can run into issues with trespassing, but other than that they have no power.

That was pretty much what I thought.

If the store doesn't prohibit the legal carrying of firearm, IMO, regardless of what the customer or the security guard think, is irrelevant. It's none of their business. And I would think telling the security guard that the customer must be mistaken, might be the best approach.

This, like I said is strictly hypothetical and simply for discussion. Each person will have to decide for themselves in how they would deal with this scenario. And in fairness to @mongoose, I don't think that he failed in the way he handled the situation in the least. My posts are more about options or alternatives in dealing with a similar scenario.

Top Bottom