• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    In short. Get a pair. They are a real bargain.

I needed to pick up a pair of steel toe work boots for the chemical plant I work in. The criteria is usually durable leather, safety toe, heel, over the ankle and more or less disposable. They will be exposed to resin, skunk oil and general abuse. So a $25 pair of Wally World boots sure sounded better than red wings or other high priced boots.

Generally speaking I get about 6 months to a year out of a pair of boots or shoes. This is doing things like walking, light hiking and work. Nothing difficult, "technical" or too serious. It seems the footbed goes after a few months and I replace laces and after about 6 months the glue, stitching and fabric all fail and the shoe disintegrates. This happens with new balance, Nike, Zamberlan, Rockports and everything else.

So I was not expecting much when I picked up these Brahma model MNBR0341101. After a couple weeks of once a day wear my other pair of boots, the latest pair of Zamberlan started to crater at the 8 month mark. So I started wearing the Brahma full time. At three months I added some insoles. At 6 months I replaced the laces. But there are no other signs of failure. The glue, stitching and fabric are all solid and from the outside still look almost brand new.

Maybe they will fail within a year but that's quite a bargain. I will certainly be buying a few more pair and granted they are not the most stylish in the world but then I am not either.

Here is a pic.
    6059e757d00bd58407b163493e4ac9d4.jpg

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Getting two pairs of boots extends their life ten fold.

Rotating them allows the insides to fully dry and keeps the stitching from rotting out from the inside.

It really helps during the break in process too as your feet get a break.

peeps

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2014
    Yea we get issued boots about once a year from the company. Sometimes crappy cheap brands, sometimes known brands. Current boots are $95 Wolverine steel toe lace-ups, and they suck! Point is, even name brands are no good sometimes. No shame in the Walmart special if they work well...Who cares about style. If you have time to care about that, you ain't working enough lol.

Interesting point about two pair.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Yea we get issued boots about once a year from the company. Sometimes crappy cheap brands, sometimes known brands. Current boots are $95 Wolverine steel toe lace-ups, and they suck! Point is, even name brands are no good sometimes. No shame in the Walmart special if they work well...Who cares about style. If you have time to care about that, you ain't working enough lol.

Interesting point about two pair.
    Wolverine moved production to China years ago. The quality suffered greatly and I don't buy them anymore.

Redwings for me (some made here, some elsewhere) but I also don't work in harsh chemical areas that would prematurely wear them out.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    Redwings are no where near the boot they were 10 years ago. I was a staunch Redwing man for 20 years loved them my feet loved them. Now they cause my feet to ache and its time to change brands at least for me.

Rebel

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    I've had great luck with Timberland Pro work boots. I also have a pair of Red Wings that are great, but a bit on the heavy side. I don't recommend Coastal Boot or Redback.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Bought these red wing 2233 a week and a half ago. Fully made in murrca. They're breaking in nicely

66cd2686667429dcdfec424e5a51d4cf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Too bad about the steel tow requirement. You'd have a lot more options without that.

They don't come up often, but factory seconds combat boots are the best boot deal you can get. They last far longer than any other boot. Last time I saw some on sale for $40 each I bought three pair. With rotating them like Dawico suggests these will will probably last me forever. I have a couple pairs of Ariats for my "office boots".

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Redwings are no where near the boot they were 10 years ago. I was a staunch Redwing man for 20 years loved them my feet loved them. Now they cause my feet to ache and its time to change brands at least for me.

While I don't disagree with you about Redwings (been wearing them for 30+ yrs), your feet's requirements change with age. It might not be JUST the boots.

peeps

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2014
    Too bad about the steel tow requirement. You'd have a lot more options without that.

They don't come up often, but factory seconds combat boots are the best boot deal you can get. They last far longer than any other boot. Last time I saw some on sale for $40 each I bought three pair. With rotating them like Dawico suggests these will will probably last me forever. I have a couple pairs of Ariats for my "office boots".
    What brand did you get?

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    While I don't disagree with you about Redwings (been wearing them for 30+ yrs), your feet's requirements change with age. It might not be JUST the boots.

Yep.
    Redwings, only boot I would wear in my farrier/horseshoeing days.
    Have a pair 30+ years old that I quit wearing when my paddles got wider.
    Despite neatsfoot oil, good care, and high dollar inserts they are no longer comfortable for a days work.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    The ones I got were from Wellco, but Danner makes the same boot as well.

Wore my Danner combat boots out to nothing. Bought a pair from their normal line and was fairly disappointed in the price vs durability.

In a pair of Wolverines now that I really like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gilly
    Top Bottom