walnut stock

DCortez

TGT Addict
Jan 28, 2009
Houston, Cy-Fair
What's the best finish you can get from a walnut gunstock? Is it possible to get a mirror like finish? I'm sure I have the cheapest stock available.

My google-fu is weak...

smschulz

Paid for CUT
TGT Supporter
Apr 13, 2008
Houston, Texas
Provided that the proper prep work is done and sanded smooth ~ several coats of Tung Oil makes for a great finish.

It wasn't walnut but my SKS I refinished came out with a spectacular outcome. If you want something a little harder or even glossier ~ I would check with Midway USA or Brownell's. .02

DCortez

TGT Addict
Jan 28, 2009
Houston, Cy-Fair
Just found this on another site. I'd like my new M92 to look like his:

I use Tru Oil for sealing and refinishing gunstocks and I swear by it. Just cut the Tru-Oil with mineral spirits to seal stock. Heres a stock I refinished and sealed on a Rossi 92

rossiriver21.jpg

smschulz

Paid for CUT
TGT Supporter
Apr 13, 2008
Houston, Texas
Tru Oil looks like a variation of Tung Oil with some addititives. I have read some reviews and it look pretty nice. The only negative it how it covers checkering but that was only from one guy. Tung Oil, Tru Oil, Formby's ~ all are pretty much the same so I am sure it would make for a wonderful looking stock ~ with good prep work and about 10~12 coats. ;)

DCortez

TGT Addict
Jan 28, 2009
Houston, Cy-Fair
I'll check Academy for the oil(s) and give it a whirl. Not sure what grit of sand paper to start and finish with. As it is, I've applied 7-8 coats of Tom's 1/3. The stock is looking much better but not as nice as the picture I found.

I should have taken a "before" picture. The stock came out of the box with some funky, drab, and dull coating.

DCortez

TGT Addict
Jan 28, 2009
Houston, Cy-Fair
Got the Tru Oil gunstock finishing kit ($11 at academy) and just finished staining. Have to wait 24 hours to start the oiling process. Hopefully I don't suck at wood work.

DCortez

TGT Addict
Jan 28, 2009
Houston, Cy-Fair
I haven't shot the rifle yet. It's the 24", stainless, octo barrel, 357mag/38spl, Rossi M92. I have a load of ammo I'm itching to run through. If I like it, I'll send it down to Steve Gunz for an action job.

Anyway, it's sanded and stained. First coat of oil is going on in a few minutes. Going to let it sit til tomorrow before I touch it up and oil it again. Will apply several coats. Tom's 1/3 did a nice job, but I want that baby to shine. If I'm not happy with it, I'll strip it and try it again. I can always go back to Tom's if the results aren't what I want.

This is the stock up to the staining.

stock1.gif

DCortez

TGT Addict
Jan 28, 2009
Houston, Cy-Fair
Not done yet, came out too light, kinda blonde like the nice one in the picture. I restained it yesterday and went to the tea party today. Hopefully, I'll have it ready in 2 days.

Support

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
silencers
third coast
DK Firearms
Tyrant Designs
Ranier
Every Day Man
Shroud

Latest posts

Forum statistics