• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    What's the best finish you can get from a walnut gunstock? Is it possible to get a mirror like finish? I'm sure I have the cheapest stock available.

My google-fu is weak...
    Gun Zone Deals

smschulz

Paid for CUT
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Provided that the proper prep work is done and sanded smooth ~ several coats of Tung Oil makes for a great finish.

It wasn't walnut but my SKS I refinished came out with a spectacular outcome. If you want something a little harder or even glossier ~ I would check with Midway USA or Brownell's. .02

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    Just found this on another site. I'd like my new M92 to look like his:

I use Tru Oil for sealing and refinishing gunstocks and I swear by it. Just cut the Tru-Oil with mineral spirits to seal stock. Heres a stock I refinished and sealed on a Rossi 92

rossiriver21.jpg

smschulz

Paid for CUT
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Tru Oil looks like a variation of Tung Oil with some addititives. I have read some reviews and it look pretty nice. The only negative it how it covers checkering but that was only from one guy. Tung Oil, Tru Oil, Formby's ~ all are pretty much the same so I am sure it would make for a wonderful looking stock ~ with good prep work and about 10~12 coats. ;)

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    I'll check Academy for the oil(s) and give it a whirl. Not sure what grit of sand paper to start and finish with. As it is, I've applied 7-8 coats of Tom's 1/3. The stock is looking much better but not as nice as the picture I found.

I should have taken a "before" picture. The stock came out of the box with some funky, drab, and dull coating.

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    Got the Tru Oil gunstock finishing kit ($11 at academy) and just finished staining. Have to wait 24 hours to start the oiling process. Hopefully I don't suck at wood work.

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    I haven't shot the rifle yet. It's the 24", stainless, octo barrel, 357mag/38spl, Rossi M92. I have a load of ammo I'm itching to run through. If I like it, I'll send it down to Steve Gunz for an action job.

Anyway, it's sanded and stained. First coat of oil is going on in a few minutes. Going to let it sit til tomorrow before I touch it up and oil it again. Will apply several coats. Tom's 1/3 did a nice job, but I want that baby to shine. If I'm not happy with it, I'll strip it and try it again. I can always go back to Tom's if the results aren't what I want.

This is the stock up to the staining.

stock1.gif

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    Not done yet, came out too light, kinda blonde like the nice one in the picture. I restained it yesterday and went to the tea party today. Hopefully, I'll have it ready in 2 days.

smschulz

Paid for CUT
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Not done yet, came out too light, kinda blonde like the nice one in the picture. I restained it yesterday and went to the tea party today. Hopefully, I'll have it ready in 2 days.
    Cool. :cool:
    How long do you wait between coats?
    When I refinished my SKS ~ I could only do 2 coats a day. I put on 5~6 coats I think.

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    The instructions say to wait 24 hours between staining, slurry sanding/oiling, and finish oiling. To be safe, I'm waiting 24 hours between everything.

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    It's looking like crap. I did a better job the first time. Oh well, I'm gonna oil it for a couple of more days and shoot the poop out of it. Once I get tired of the lame job, I'll give it another go, LOL.

Will post a pic in a couple.

smschulz

Paid for CUT
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    It's looking like crap. I did a better job the first time. Oh well, I'm gonna oil it for a couple of more days and shoot the poop out of it. Once I get tired of the lame job, I'll give it another go, LOL.

Will post a pic in a couple.
    Can't you just sand it between coats to even out the finish?
    When I did my SKS with tung oil (Formby's) it just got better and better with each coat.

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    It looks splotchy. Aside from that, it looks nice ... very very shiney. I'm really hot to put a few hundred rounds through this baby so I'm going to hold off til the weekend. The 24 hour waits are killing me, lol.

If I can't sand it down and re-oil, I'll start over from scratch. But next time I'm getting better stain and see if I can find Tung Oil.

So far as being picky, I probably am. Nothing like perfection to feel good, lol.

DSCN0460.jpg

DSCN0463.gif

DSCN0461.jpg

DSCN0462.gif

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    Took it out for spin today. Put 250 rounds through it. Action was stiff for a while, but loosened up nicely towards the end. Shot the entire bulls eye section out of my targets at 50 yards. Maybe had a dozen or so in the outer white ring.

The stock didn't look so bad outside.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom