Hurley's Gold

Walther CCP and reloads using fast vs.slowe(er) burning propellants.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kosh75287

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    Nemo
    First, I'm not sure if this inquiry belongs here, or in the "General Firearms" forum, so mods should feel free to move it where they feel it is most appropriate (or gets seen most, either way).

The Walther CCP auto-pistol operates on a gas-operated system that retards the slide's rearward travel below the force/velocity of what may be expected from a straight blow-back system. Personally, I think it's innovative, forward-thinking and, well, just COOL!

But the first thing I wondered about was if the range of "usable" propellants for the piece might be narrowed, because the system is designed to operate with a certain amount of gas pressure being diverted to the "motion retardation" tube. I'm thinking in analogy to the "window" of burn rates in powders best suited for use in the M1 Garand.

If I had to guess, I would expect the system to be optimized for powders that burn in the Alliant Green Dot to Alliant Herco range, but might have trouble with powders that typically burn outside it, like AA N100 or VV N310 on the fast side, or Alliant Blue Dot or AA#7 or AA#9 on the slower side. I'm not sure of what SORT of trouble may arise, and if I know Walther, they envisioned this problem early on.

I'm just wondering if any reloaders have experienced difficulties or even "different but acceptable" behaviours with reloads using very fast/very slow pistol powders in the CCP. All this "curiosity" is coming from a very ardent user/defender of Alliant Unique or Herco in 9x19mm (and plenty of AA#5 also), which I would expect to work just fine. This is largely a point of curiosity for me. "Best surmises" from shooters who've used neither the CCP nor the very fast/very slow powders are welcome, also. This is a(n) heuristic inquiry, not a metaphysically critical philosophical debate.
    Military Camp

Last edited:
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rjdearinger2
    Top Bottom