• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iratollah

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2008
    Anyone have one? Comments? Anything you don't like about the gun? Comments about the variants, QA vs. AS?

I need a hi-cap 9mm to replace the P228 I gave to my son in a moment of weakness.
    ARJ Defense ad

KellyAsh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2009
    Roatan, Honduras
    Im not a fan of these things. The 3 Ive fired over the past 3 years all had failures to eject and one failure to feed with regular hardball ammo. We fired anywhere from 100-300 rounds with each of the guns. I've come to the conclusion, right or wrong, that I wouldnt spend a penny on one of these things.

Personally, I'd go with an XD but that's just my .02.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    P99's are great guns. I've owned 2, though I just sold my last one (already regretting it). They are pretty much as durable and reliable as a Glock, though with a much more ergonomic frame. The first one I owned, I put several thousand rounds through that thing and it ran like a lawnmower with no issues.

iratollah

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2008
    Im not a fan of these things. The 3 Ive fired over the past 3 years all had failures to eject and one failure to feed with regular hardball ammo. We fired anywhere from 100-300 rounds with each of the guns. I've come to the conclusion, right or wrong, that I wouldnt spend a penny on one of these things.

Personally, I'd go with an XD but that's just my .02.
    I've heard that break-in with the 9mm P99 using 115gr will have FTFs and FTEs. Break-in should be with 127gr+. And that it smooths out after about 300 rds and then will cycle the lighter ammo. Do you remember what you were using?

I've never had a polymer pistol and so my biggest concern is recoil management.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    P99's in their respective calibers don't really have any more recoil than any comparable-sized guns in the same calibers (G19/23, XD, M&P).

Shriker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Agree with Sig_Fiend on this one....very good weapons. Shot several never owned one but wouldnt hessitate for the right price.

shipwreck

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Beretta City,Texas
    I've heard that break-in with the 9mm P99 using 115gr will have FTFs and FTEs. Break-in should be with 127gr+. And that it smooths out after about 300 rds and then will cycle the lighter ammo. Do you remember what you were using?

I've never had a polymer pistol and so my biggest concern is recoil management.

I have no idea where you heard this.

I'm a super huge P99 fan, and am well know on some of the larger gun forums because of my love for this gun.

Your post is the 1st place I've ever heard this.

I would suggest checking the Walther section of this site:

Walther - HandGunForum.net

And going here:

http://waltherforum.com/

It's my all time fav polymer 9mm. I have 2. Not 1 failure at all. I have also gotten over 12 other people to buy one. Not one regrets it.

I had the slides on mine hard chromed:

P99-1.gif

P99-c1.gif

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I kind of want one. We've had a toy gun version floating around the household for several years and I think it's one of the most ergonomic designs I've ever held. I'm not a huge fan of it, but the mag release is actually not a bad place or idea. It would be a lot harder to accidentally drop a mag with it located there, IMO.

Only problem is that I love Sigs too much!

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    if its good enough for bond, its good enough for me.

btw does anyone remmber when Q issued bond the p99 in tommorow never dies?

Q - and here is your new firearm
    bond - (looks at it quizically turning it over in his hands looking for the 'gadget' aspect) 'What does it do?'
    Q- 'Its called a gun. it is quite novel, you pull this thing here called a trigger, and things called bullets fly out the other end'

Nef

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    I have P99 in .40 with the QA trigger, the gun is really comfortable in the hand. Out of all my pistols it is by far the most ergonomic. It also has the removable backstraps which let you customize it a bit to your hand.

The QA trigger is really crisp, and I hate to say it but almost too crisp, I find that I end up pulling my shots, but that's on me not doing my part. Other people that are much better shooters than me do just fine with it.

It's also a pretty accurate gun. I have had some issues with reliability but most of those I can attribute to the magazines.

Since it was mentioned the mag release was never a problem for me, being left handed I actually find it a bit easier to drop the mag.

Its definitely one of my favorite pistols.

treyw

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    Central TX
    Only fired a P99 once, and it shot like a dream. I own a P22 and PPK that are both DAMN accurate. German made just like the HK's and Sigs so you know you're getting a top rate weapon. Dont think you could go wrong with one.

KellyAsh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2009
    Roatan, Honduras
    We were using Winchester white box and maybe one other brand of FMJ. The mags may have been the culprit and not the gun at all, who knows.

I'm glad to hear my experience was different that most of yalls. I have heard others having issues with them so I'll stick to the guns I know to be reliable from my own personal experience.

I will say this though. Even the good gun companys and the good models have lemons so you might want to go with the old pluses/minuses mark column test and see if it comes out with more pluses than minuses.

You might also want to go shoot some for yourself and get your own ideas on the gun. That might be more reliable than taking others words for it and pretty much a requirement of my own before I spend money on a gun.

Top Bottom