• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Randy45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Austin
    Anyone have an opinion on the Walther P99 pistols? My wife owns a Walther P22 and we have been really happy with this pistol, I have been considering getting myself a newer 9mm, I currently have a Walther P1 post WWII. Was wanting to hear from anyone that has used the P99, so I could get some feedback other than from sales ads.
    Lynx Defense

nalioth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    They are totally different in design from the P38 type pistol.

They are very comfortable to shoot (they come with 3 interchangeable back straps).

The mag release is the ambidextrous 'flipper' type (you sweep it down to release the mags).

They come in three trigger styles:

QA (Quick Action) - this is the glock style single action

AS (Anti Stress) - this is a double action, with the capability of keeping it "precocked" or decocking it for a long first pull.

and DAO ( double action only)

They are excellent pistols, in both .40 S&W and 9mm ( SW99s can be had in .45 ACP if you look around).

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Great guns. Reliable, extremely ergonomic (better than the H&K P30 IMO), accurate. There really isn't much more to say about it except that. While I hear some people complain about the decocking button on the slide, personally that's one of the features I love about P99's. It's just simple, reach up the support hand, press the button, and you're decocked.

Personally I would go with the AS trigger. It's a conventional DA/SA trigger, though it has two SA modes basically. I've tried the other DAO triggers in these and SW99's and they only reinforced the reasons that I hate most DAO triggers. ;)

ducksps

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Austin, Houston
    great pistol

I eneded up with one from the X-wife and when we split I kept the pistol. The best 9mm pistol in my opinion and I have a Browning High Power and HK p7 in the safe.

If you get one make sure to get the AS trigger.

nightfighter4d

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Lampasas
    I own one first handgun I ever bought. If you are buying for your wife I would recommend the 9mm. My wife has issue with the recoil of the 40 in such a light firearm. I have had no issues other than a hard time finding spare mags.

4StringSlinger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    Stick with the Walther, and avoid the SW99 IMO. I had a p99 AS in 9mm, and it was an outstanding firearm. Only reason I traded it off was because i have 3 glocks in 9mm and already had a substantial investment in mags, training, familiarity etc.

Randy45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Austin
    My wife is happy with her Walther P22......I am looking for myself.....already have a Walther P1 which I love but I would like something a little newer....that is why I was wanting some input on the P99...I saw one and was wondering, we've been buying Walthers just thought I might stick with the brand. I am surprised there are not more owners of them.....

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    My wife is happy with her Walther P22......I am looking for myself.....already have a Walther P1 which I love but I would like something a little newer....that is why I was wanting some input on the P99...I saw one and was wondering, we've been buying Walthers just thought I might stick with the brand. I am surprised there are not more owners of them.....

Man I love them to death and like Walther in general. I'm not sure why I don't already own several. I've been thinking about getting either a P99 full size or P99 compact for a carry gun when funds will allow it. Some other cool Walthers I'm sure you're aware of, that you might want to consider are the P5 and P88. P5's can be had for decent prices, however the P88's can get pretty expensive. The P99 is nice and cost effective compared to most other Walther's besides the P1/P38.

Top Bottom