Lynx Defense

Walther PDP that good or a media hyped turd?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Howitzur

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 7, 2021
    Highland Village
    So I have really taken a liking to this PDP. It's looks, grip, and trigger are all fantastic imo. I haven't bought one yet, but I have played with several at local gun stores. I have read that this gun has one fatal flaw. The optics cut doesn't have lateral support. Meaning the screws are the stress point for an optic on side to side movement. Anyone experience this? I want honest first hand experience. Who owns one and has personal experience. How hard were the mags to find? Thx in advance!
    Hurley's Gold

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2020
    North of Dallas
    I have owned Walther P99, PPQ and now PDP. They’re all evolutions of the same general design. It’s a fully cocked, striker-fired, action that started as DA/SA in the P99. If you like the PPQ, and you don’t plan on concealed carry, you’ll also like the PDP. It’s pretty much the same as PPQ except improve grip texture and optics ready with a blocky slide. There’s a lot of hype about this pistol, but it’s just a Gen 2 PPQ.

The optics mount has been tested by Walther and it certainly isn’t failure prone. It also isn’t the most robust design. Just use the correct high quality screws, thread locker and torque wrench. Replacing the screws with each annual battery change couldn’t hurt, either.

Howitzur

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 7, 2021
    Highland Village
    this would be a pinker for me more than likely. I found the Glock 19 too big to CC especially appendix. So, I carry smaller guns. I'm looking for a fun range gun to tag along with my m9a3.

jtw2

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2013
    Cedar Creek
    I’m seriously considering this for my next purchase. Haven’t had a walther since my p99. Anybody have them in stock in the Austin area? I’m actually closer to bastrop but willing to drive a bit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2020
    North of Dallas
    For a plinker with a handle like Howitzur, the 5” long slide could be just the ticket! I'd suggest full-size frame (18-rd) for larger hands or compact frame (15-rd) for more magazine availability.
    Walther_PDP-5_-C_LS-.png

Riksors

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2019
    Georgetown
    I have the compact pdp. I find the trigger top notch for a striker fired pistol. Better than my HK vp9. It has an aggressive grip texture, something to consider if you plan to carry iwb. Like sandpaper on the skin.

Looks beefy and heavy but don’t be fooled. Did not put optics, so I can’t comment there. Mags are interchangeable with the ppq m2. Fairly easy to find. Would be nice if they make a sleeve to fill the extra space / gap for the 17 rounder mag.

Howitzur

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 7, 2021
    Highland Village
    Awesome, thank you all for the insight. When I first saw it, I thought "man, this thing is blocky!". I went home and began researching it. Of course, I found numerous videos where they hyped it up. I kinda still want one. I'm torn on getting the 4" compact or go all out and get the 5" full size (Howitzer sized!).

I've had many striker fired guns... top two imo were the P10 series by CZ and the HK VP9 as far as trigger, ergos, reliability, accuracy, etc. I assume the PDP will be a close competitor to those two.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Not the biggest fan of walther. Great triggers, but too nice for a polymer striker with no manual safety. Guns are complex, and walther considers some parts "non user serviceable"

And while walthers grips feel very nice, they don't give the same control over the pistol that glocks do

zaitcev

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2019
    Austin, Texas, U.S.A.
    The optics cut doesn't have lateral support.
    It is true that the optics cut in Walther PDP does not have additional pins to restrict the adapter plates. Walther's official position is that the two large diameter screws are fully sufficient to withstand impacts in all direction except the front, against the recoil force.

Personally I agree with them. The ability of machine screws to withstand a load in shear increases dramatically with increase in diameter. In addition, the pins of optics footprints are a tricky business. {Update: I removed some speculation here. Walther could have used downward faced pins.} But I can see how this matter can be reasonably debated.

Here's a link to a page at Walther website that explains the side load:

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Would have been perfect if they let the full size pdp take ppq mags too

I am a big ppq fan and I will still end up buying the compact pdp to try out

Howitzur

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 7, 2021
    Highland Village
    Sorry for late delay. I ended up getting the PDP 4" compact. I was able to find 3 extra 15 round mags so I have 5 total. I have yet to take her to the range. So far, I really like it. It definately rivals CZ for ergos!

Top Bottom