• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • idleprocess

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW.com
    Anyone handled / shot / own one of these? I plan on getting my CHL soon and the PPS has been well-reviewed in every review I've seen thus far.
    Capitol Armory ad

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    They are OK, nothing to really go crazy about. I personally would invest in a HK P7 well before a PPS.

The P7 is better than the PPS in every category with the exception of intro price, but used issue model P7's can be had for not much more.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I agree, I'd take the P7 over pretty much anything else, though I think the PPS is a perfectly good gun regardless. Here's a few threads I've found with some excellent comparison pics to put the size of them in better perspective:

P7 Vs. PPS

PPS Review make sure to check the other pages as there are comparison pics against an XD subcompact, Kahr PM9, P2000sk, Rohrbaugh R9, P99/P99C, and M&P9 SC

308nato

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Between Tomball & Waller
    Has anyone thought of checking out the CZ line.
    I have had the Rami with the 14 rd mags for about 2 years now
    and have 3000 rds threw it with not one problem.
    It is also my daily carry.

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    My wife had one but she did not like the recoil.I fired it and had no problems.I would consider a P7.

Bob Loblaw

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    Buda, Tx
    they're pretty hard to find. Most of the people at the gun show swore they didn't exist, or offered to put us on the list. Luck would have it McBrides got three today, so if your in the market, move your ass. I haven't gotten to test it out yet, and I don't have enough experience to compare it to other guns.

idleprocess

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW.com
    They are OK, nothing to really go crazy about. I personally would invest in a HK P7 well before a PPS.

The P7 is better than the PPS in every category with the exception of intro price, but used issue model P7's can be had for not much more.

While the P7 has its supporters, it also has its detractors. 'Seems they tend to be polarizing.

I also can't find them for sale new. I gather they're not imported or made anymore? Those I can find on gunbroker are listing for $700 or more (and probably going for a bit more than that whenever they do sell) - nevermind the ~$100 going price for magazines. I can get a PPS locally for less than $600.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    While the P7 has its supporters, it also has its detractors. 'Seems they tend to be polarizing.

I also can't find them for sale new. I gather they're not imported or made anymore? Those I can find on gunbroker are listing for $700 or more (and probably going for a bit more than that whenever they do sell) - nevermind the ~$100 going price for magazines. I can get a PPS locally for less than $600.

Call CDNN, search for CDNN online. They are in Abilene I believe, and have good deals on the P7-PSP's. There is alot of price difference between vendors with HK firearms. Primarily the older stuff, because alot of people just aren't aware of the market.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    http://www.topgunsupply.com/H-K-P7-PSP-9mm-Pistol-USED-pr-1190.html

You can't beat $599. I read that article you listed and honestly I think the guy is blowing things out of proportion and I've heard those things used by people to justify not liking the gun. ;) While I agree, the squeeze cocking function certainly isn't for everyone, just like the Glock grip angle isn't for everyone, just like $50,000 "fine" rifles aren't for everyone....I also think his mention of an inconvenient "12 step system" you have to use while using the gun is basically untrue. One of the really neat things about them is the squeeze cocker is the slide release, so you can insert the mag and release the slide all without having to change your grip and in about the fastest manner of any handgun out there. Personally I think it is a much more simple and faster method than any other gun. Don't get me wrong, I've handled several P7's and the grip cocker takes some getting used to and, to me, feels a little uncomfortable. The gun is just too good to me that I don't mind putting up with it.

texaspartsman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    Seguin
    If the price difference is not an issue I would go with the H&K myself. Like most H&K's they are over engineered. That being said, the HK is very accurate and reliable and the P7 has a solid feel to that brings confidence. It is also becoming a collectors item and will go up in value. The Walther will also be accurate and reliable but I doubt it will become much of a collectors gun. I own a Steyr that is very similar to the Walther. I like the gun but it is not in the same class as the P7. It has a chunky feel to it and doesn't conceal well.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Would that happen to be a Steyr M or S series Texaspartsman? If so, I've handled a few though I have not shot one yet. They look like pretty neat guns.

idleprocess

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW.com
    I need a carry piece, not a curio cabinet centerpiece. I could care less whether or not it appreciates. Something being currently produced would also be nice since that means accessories and magazines will be readily supplied by the market.

Perhaps I will have a chance to shoot the P7 or the PPS someday before buying. I've purchased four handguns essentially blind and really lucked out three out of four times.

I liked the XD-9 subcompact and shot it surprisingly well the one time I handled one, but it's squat as opposed to slim and its girth is a bit much since it uses double-stack magazines.

A friend of mine had a P99 in .40 S&W that had amazing ergonomics, but the recoil was surprisingly fierce to the point that the weapon was difficult to control. I'm leaning towards the PPS because save for the recoil the P99 was a really nice weapon and the PPS seems to draw quite a bit from the P99.

Bob Loblaw

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    Buda, Tx
    I got to take it out for a very short time yesterday. It seems to have a lot of recoil compared to the other 9mm guns I've shot. I couldn't hit shit, but that's par for the course so I can't really speak to it's accuracy.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Idleprocess, you might try to find a 9mm P99 to shoot as they are much nicer. I had an SW99 .40cal (same gun just slightly different frame made by Walther for S&W) and that thing had pretty ridiculous recoil, though I'm still trying to figure out why. I mean I've shot Glock 23's and USP .40sw's, but the SW99 I had felt like it had more recoil than my 45acp Sig P220! ;) In 9mm they are basically perfect IMO, and the ergonomics are in the top 3 of the best handguns out there IMO.

texaspartsman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    Seguin
    I tried to find a friend with a PPS. Noone has one yet. I would like to range test one see how comfortable it is to carry concealed.
    My Steyr M9 is a little chunky to conceal and it never feels comfortable. I have some experience with the H&K. I have shot several of them and had no complaints with the squeeze cock/saftey. I didn't like it enought to buy one. At the time we did not have conceal carry in Texas. I think the fact that it appreciates is a plus, not a deciding factor. I know quite a few people that have bought guns for conceal carry only to find you can't get them in a comfortable posistion where they are still concealed and easy to access in a hurry. I have a couple in that catagory myself. If the gun is uncomfortable it will not get carried. I tend to leave the fullsized stuff at home and carry a semi auto that fits in my pocket. When I first got my license I carried a Springfied V-10 compact. It is heavy and unless you wear a jacket people are going to notice the bulge. I have a North American Arms 380, a Sig P232, and a Beretta 25 auto that get carried the most.

Top Bottom