• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OIF2

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Hill Country
    I seem to remember that John Garand held the patents and production rights on the M1 when he designed it, instead of Springfield Armory (he signed it over to the US Gov't for free) when he worked there. Designers for most gun companies usually hold the patents and sign them over to their respective companies for a fee or royalties. Both Colt and Browning would disagree regarding Browning's employment (as would Win and FN), but hey, what do they know?

I defer to your superior knowledge of the subject. And to think that all this time I just had "a copy". Gotta talk to Colt about that add. Have a nice night!
    Bob

Last edited:

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I seem to remember that John Garand held the patents and production rights on the M1 when he designed it, instead of Springfield Armory (he signed it over to the US Gov't for free) when he worked there. Designers for most gun companies usually hold the patents and sign them over to their respective companies for a fee. Both Colt and Browning would disagree regarding Browning's employment (as would Win and FN), but hey, what do they know?

I defer to your superior knowledge of the subject. And to think that all this time I just had a copy. Have a nice night!
    Bob
    Actually I had thought he had worked for Winchester, but after reading more on it, it was also a collaboration, in fact he held the patent on many of the Winchester models.

Another note on the 1911: John Browning designed it and was in the process of building it when he collaborated with Colt.

OIF2

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Hill Country
    I'm sure Browning was paid (and well) for his "collaboration" with Colt. As he was later with FN.

Going to shoot some rounds through my Colt-copy (of a Browning) tomorrow. I''ll never look at a Colt 1911 .45 the same again. Enjoyed the exchange.
    Bob

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom