Venture Surplus ad

Want an Affordable Assault Rifle...Opinions?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LoneRider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Pasadena,Tx
    I want an Assualt type rifle because..........Well, I just want one!
    My budget is low so here's what I'm looking at, will appreciate opinions.

SKS 7.62x39

Saiga 7.62x39

Saiga 223

Kel-tek 223

Kel-Tec 9mm

No you need to get an AR...can't afford one!!
    ARJ Defense ad

308nato

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Between Tomball & Waller
    Yoy might want to check out www.aimsurplus.com
    or www.jgsales.com they have them for at good prices.
    I bought one from a gentleman on another forum and it is a fun
    gun to shoot and its in 7.62x39 they dont make a 7.63x39.
    Oh it a Yugo with grenade launcher and bayonet built in the 70's
    and was unissued.
    Or you could get a RUGER mini 14 ,its in .223 and you can add all kinds of goodies
    to it down the road later

TxShooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Houston Metro Area
    The last Mini 14's I looked at were approaching the price of AR-15's. For the price a SKS is a great weapon and there are a ton of aftermarket parts available for it as well.

And I know you said not to bring up the AR, but they can be built for a fairly reasonable price. Much less than buying one already put together.

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    SKS are good, but I would suggest against a Yugo 59/66. The extra junk on the gas system gives plenty of places for leaks and other issues. Find a Yugo model 59 if you can, it doesn't have the odd upper gas piston. The Yugos don't have chrome-plated chambers or bores, which can be a consideration. The Chinese made decent SKS rifles, and there are a few other different countries that made them. I would suggest a Chinese, as they are usually the cheapest.

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    WASR-10s run about $450ish and are a good basic AK-47 type rifle.

Or how about an AR-15 for $570?
    http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/?shop=1&cat=33&

If there is one thing I've learned, it's that ARs are picky about ammo. Good AR ammo is also not cheap. Running the cheap steel-cased ammunition in ARs will usually destroy extractors. I would suggest against anyone buying an AR that minds paying almost 50% more per round minimum for acceptable AR rounds over AK rounds.

I own an AR, and as much as I like it, I don't shoot it very often because of this problem.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    WASR10 or WASR2 can be found cheap. I paid about $300 for my 10, but that was about 6 mos. ago. AIM Surplus has the 2's for $289 every once in awhile.

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    I have had all the weapons listed.The Saigas were jammomatics.They were cheap(around$229) but I had a lot of feeding problems.The keltecs are decent but not as cheap as they used to be.If you get a sks do not get the Tapco replacement stocks as they were a waste of money.You may also want to get a brass deflector for the sks if you want to put a scope on it.good luck.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    My Century Arms Wasr has been a good gun. I haven't put a whole lot of rounds through it, though it's worked just fine so far, and they aren't very expensive.

goodfellas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    San Antonio
    The SKS is a fine rifle and i love to shoot mine. You could also get a nice Maadi(Egyptian AKM) for around 350. I really like mine but you couldn't go wrong with ether.

robert

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    i want an ar-15... but being in college prevents that from happening (funds)... so this is good info... ive been wanting an assault rifle...

texaspartsman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    Seguin
    For the money I like the Saigas. I do not have a 7.62X39, but I have one in 223, 308, and 12 gauge. I have not had any jamming problems with any of them, but I have not run over a 100 rounds through the 223 and less than 200 through the 308. The 12 gauge is about as much fun as can be legal with your clothes on.:) Saigas are nice because they don't scream "ASSAULT RIFLE" like and AK-47. Keeps people from getting so nervous.
    I also have the WASR Ak-47. For the money its a good shooting gun. Finish is not very sexy, but the $275 price with tax made it go into my gun safe. New magazines take a little tinkering because the magwell is just a little narrower than most surplus mags.
    My 3rd choice would be one of the SKS varients. I would avoid one with a grenade launcher. Not very many people get to launch grenades. It just adds weight where you don't want it and for some reason the gas tubes start leaking on these. My brother has already replaced his once.
    If you shop the gun shows you can still pick up a mini-14 in the $350-400 range. It make take quite a few shows. I have a friend that picked up a stainless steel one for $400. I have not been impressed with the accuracy of any of them, but they will shoot with any of the saiga's.
    Its a shame that the days of the $350 Fal's are gone. True battle rifle that has it all. Accuracy, Range, and reliability.

Top Bottom