• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mr.m

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2014
    So im looking to buy an Ak-47 kit since it's my personal favorite. But Mostly because its cheaper and I'm on a budget. I was looking around and found a couple that seem promising. I was just was looking for a more seasoned person advice on how to go about this task and what to look for.
    Texas SOT

XinTX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    South of Houston
    First, welcome aboard.

Second, there are plenty of 'build parties' that people have from time to time. Depends on where in TX you're located. Building an AK isn't too difficult, but it takes some special tools and a bit of know how (and a LOT of sweat if you're in South TX and do a build outdoors in August). You'll need a kit, a receiver, and some special tools. Either buy them (expensive), borrow them (rental may involve purchasing sufficient quantities of adult beverages), or find a build party. But the tooling needed would be a shop press, rivet jig(s), headspace gauges, a few metric drills/reamers, and some other miscellaneous hand tools. Oh, and a big hammer and some Russian curse words. Lots of 'how to' build videos on YouTube. And go register on the AK Files. It will take a while from the time you register until you get access. I think Jen is the only one that approves new members.

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    98F8635B-5EEC-4EEA-A020-AECC65CE9595.jpg

Do a bolt build and dont listen to the crap people say about them online. Ive had several hundred rounds through mine and it's rock solid. Then you dont have to worry about rivets. You just need taps and high grade machine screws.

Leper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2008
    I wouldn't consider several hundred rounds proof of reliability for the firearm.

To the OP, cost and time wise I found it better to buy than build. If you were going to do a bunch of them it would be different, but when I looked into it a few years ago the tools and jigs needed, plus the time involved, it was not cost effective for me to build rather than buy.

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    I wouldn't consider several hundred rounds proof of reliability for the firearm.

To the OP, cost and time wise I found it better to buy than build. If you were going to do a bunch of them it would be different, but when I looked into it a few years ago the tools and jigs needed, plus the time involved, it was not cost effective for me to build rather than buy.

Doesnt change the fact that they are proven to work as well as rivets. Plus it doesnt require the number of tools needed to do a rivet built. There was an AK that was held together with toothpicks that fired a few rounds before failing. Rivets were used because they are cheaper and easier in mass production than screws. Rivets were replaced with them in skyscraper construction a long time ago. If you use a cheap screw... you may see failure. Rivets fail too. The parts you are holding together are subjected to roughly the same forces that your shoulder sees.

Shooter McGavin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2012
    Free Texas
    Hey Kyle, is that a Primary arms AK RDS you got on there? I'm thinking about getting one and mounting it same as you have. PA advertises co-witness with that perticular RDS, just curious how well it works (if it is?). Thanks!

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    Hey Kyle, is that a Primary arms AK RDS you got on there? I'm thinking about getting one and mounting it same as you have. PA advertises co-witness with that perticular RDS, just curious how well it works (if it is?). Thanks!
    It is actually an Ebay knock off if I am not mistaken. Paid $35 for it. I ring steel with it at 100 yards, consistently and without having to ever adjust it. I doubt it would handle much of a fall but it is sufficient. Primary Arms should be head and shoulders above in quality

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Doesnt change the fact that they are proven to work as well as rivets. Plus it doesnt require the number of tools needed to do a rivet built. There was an AK that was held together with toothpicks that fired a few rounds before failing. Rivets were used because they are cheaper and easier in mass production than screws. Rivets were replaced with them in skyscraper construction a long time ago. If you use a cheap screw... you may see failure. Rivets fail too. The parts you are holding together are subjected to roughly the same forces that your shoulder sees.

Funny, most of the AK community disagrees. There are numerous discussions on the two major AK forums discussing why to avoid bolt/screw builds and while your skyscraper comparison may convince you I will listen to the advice of expert builders like Jim Fuller who stay as far away from screw/bolt builds as possible!

To the OP, you couldn't have picked a better time to contemplate an AK build as there are some great kits on the market at fantastic deals! For some reason a flood of Hungarian AK63D kits being offered at ridiculously low prices...

AK63D Kit with Accessories

Depending on where you are, there are a lot of builders in Texas who will either build the rifle for you or help you do so yourself. All you need in addition to the above kit is a US-made receiver (NoDak Spud is recommended!) and a barrel. A couple of hours later, and you can own this!

ak045.jpg

I am in the same situation, my problem is deciding what I want to build. The contenders are either the above AK63D or a Yugoslav M92 carbine with an AK-74 sidefolding triangle stock and faux suppressor. It is a difficult situation, if only I had unlimited funds! :D

Cheers! M2

navysooner

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Ft. Worth
    In the end just buying an npap or Wasr is going to be cheaper. You have to buy the kit you have to buy the reciever. Then if you don't have a drill press or riveting tools you have to buy those. Then you have to have a head space tool. Unless you have all that and the know how of not screwing it up and blowing your face or hand off or it not even firing the first time you pull the trigger I'd just buy an npap or wasr

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    akrivets.jpg

The vast majority of the AK community shuns from screw builds, and here's why...

First of all, Kalashnikov didn't design the rifle with screws, and there's a good reason for that. Screws can back out, adhesives can fail, and the threads on a screw could "cut" the receiver holes. But the biggest thing is that properly set rivets expand in the channel and more or less force the two matted items to be close together.

Secondly, screw builds are typically done without removing the barrel; which means that the screws don't have much "meat" to bite on.

You gotta understand that the simple inexpensive rivet is pretty much foolproof. It doesn't need to be fiddled with, and it doesn't come loose. If a screw loosened during firing, which is always a possibility, the shooter may not have the time or even know that it is happening. If the front trunnion becomes loose and the rifle is fired; bad bad things will happen.

But I'll offer this again, show me one professional AK builder that uses screws, and I'll concede your point.

mr.m

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2014
    First I want to thank you all for the flood of advice. Its nice to know I can get an anwser quickly. And major mad max thank you for the link. Hopefully ill have some money this this pay period to buy the kit. Then get the receiver and barrel next pay check. Also I wondef if it would be alright to pm you if I have any other questions.

Thank you every one for all the responses so quickly. All have been helpful and all have been insightful.

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    akrivets.jpg

The vast majority of the AK community shuns from screw builds, and here's why...

First of all, Kalashnikov didn't design the rifle with screws, and there's a good reason for that. Screws can back out, adhesives can fail, and the threads on a screw could "cut" the receiver holes. But the biggest thing is that properly set rivets expand in the channel and more or less force the two matted items to be close together.

Secondly, screw builds are typically done without removing the barrel; which means that the screws don't have much "meat" to bite on.

You gotta understand that the simple inexpensive rivet is pretty much foolproof. It doesn't need to be fiddled with, and it doesn't come loose. If a screw loosened during firing, which is always a possibility, the shooter may not have the time or even know that it is happening. If the front trunnion becomes loose and the rifle is fired; bad bad things will happen.

But I'll offer this again, show me one professional AK builder that uses screws, and I'll concede your point.

Im arguing for a screw build to be done properly with quality parts. I pulled the barrel on mine too. I would argue that a screw is pretty fool proof as well. I can't imagine the screws on my rifle will back out, however that IS something I watch for. Just in case. But I do a lot of "just in case" checks on all of my guns.

I definitely hear what you're saying.. but MOST ak guys, especially someone who would be considered a professional builder are purists and find anything outside of the norm to be a bastardization of the design... and MOST people who go out and build an AK are not going to venture off the original design purely due to a lack of knowledge outside of what the internet holds.. Yes they were originally done with rivets... that doesnt make it the best way to do it though. Not saying screws are better... just saying that if you are using a quality screw, you shouldn't have issues.

I handled an AK a few weeks ago with front trunnion rivets that were loose. I can snug a screw, but it's not quite as easy to re-squish a rivet. Just saying that there is no one right way to do it. Hell, ive seen an AK welded together... worked like a charm.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    First I want to thank you all for the flood of advice. Its nice to know I can get an anwser quickly. And major mad max thank you for the link. Hopefully ill have some money this this pay period to buy the kit. Then get the receiver and barrel next pay check. Also I wondef if it would be alright to pm you if I have any other questions.

Thank you every one for all the responses so quickly. All have been helpful and all have been insightful.

Feel free to PM me with questions, although I think posting them in this thread would be a better option as that way you'd get a wider pool of expertise and it would also benefit anyone else who may want to do a build in the future as well.

Just to add, I am not a builder but am a bit of a Kalashnikov aficionado and know several people who do build them. I do have an infatuation with the rifle after having them pointed at me a few times during my military career; but like many subjects there is just so much information to be had on the AK and its variants that I am constantly learning new things about it. And to make matters worse, if you get involved in collecting the "accessories" such as bayonets and/or magazines, then there is another mountain of knowledge that must be learned on those items!

If by chance you are ever in the San Antonio area, let us know and maybe we can get a couple of AK folks together for a range trip!

Cheers! M2

cajunautoxer

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 8, 2008
    Houston
    I have 3 kits at my Smith right now. 2 Egyptians and a Polish. Going crutch, Khyber, and not sure about Polish yet. I'm not a UF fan. Only UF I have is a Yugo slab sided UF

Top Bottom