Join TexasGunTalk

Want to buy a J-Frame...but have a question.

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by The.Other.Jared, Nov 6, 2018.

1. OLDVET

OLDVET Well-Known

Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
  2. Reinz

Reinz Active Member

Sep 5, 2014
    East TX
    Man, I don’t mean to piss in your Cheerios, but don’t blame Talo. Who wants to buy a 1911 with an obsolete grip safety and no undercut trigger guard? Theses days, everybody, and I mean almost all manufacturers include those options as the base price of the gun.

Right off the bat I will have to pay a gunsmith $150 for an updated grip safety. And then another $170-250 if I want the undercut and necessary refinishing job.

No telling what else that “Custom” gun needs.

Dude, you got suckered or just made a poor decision which we are all guilty of doing.

I think that most guys willing to accept that configuration want it to look original milspec.

That gun seems to going for both worlds, custom, and original. I just don’t see a place for it with such fierce competition for your dollar.

3. BRD@66

BRD@66 TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    So... you ain't buyin it?

Reinz likes this.
  4. OLDVET

OLDVET Well-Known

Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    Reinz, I am well aware of what a 1911 is and is not.
    I currently own twenty three made by four different manufacturers. From one $300 green Armscorp 1911 up to my two Custom Wilson Combat 1911s.
    My point is, just because it says Talo on it doesn't make it that much more desirable to most people. I bought the Talo Colt because it was all of the things you said you would have done to it. It is a classic styled two tone 1911. Even though it was a Talo offering, it didn't have any special custom features. The trigger was a standard milspec Colt trigger. My stock Springfields have a better trigger.
    A Talo firearm is like a Commemorative Firearm. Most people don't want to spend the extra money and it is not going to be more valuable ten years from now when you sell it.
    I have bought and sold firearms for over 45 years. I have seen trends come and go. I can remember when the Glock first came out. Most people said this will never last. Looks like it did.
    Like I said before, do your research and be your own judge. Just don't let a name fool you. Most of the Talo features are cosmetic. You can call the Talo people and discuss each and every item the Talo revolver you are looking at has that a stock revolver does not have. Don't take my word, do your research.

5. lightflyer1

lightflyer1 Active Member

May 2, 2015
    I bought both of mine new for about $600 each. That price is pretty steep to me. Unless someone just has to have that gun.

Remington
    surgdguh-jpg.jpg

Springfield
    bwa0mumh-jpg.jpg

6. OLDVET

OLDVET Well-Known

Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    I have two of these.
    https://www.wilsoncombat.com/classic/

One is a black 9mm ($3,030 with my military discount) the other is a full on custom stainless .45ACP Classic. ($2,650 used).
    The R1 and Springfield will perform just as well as my multi thousands of dollar Wilson 1911s. The difference is like between a Lexus and an Accord. The Lexus is just much smoother to operate, but both are great cars.
    By the way, $600 is a pretty good deal on your two pistols. Enjoy them.

7. OLDVET

OLDVET Well-Known

Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    This is part for my collections

Attached Files:

8. SQLGeek

SQLGeek Well-Known

Sep 22, 2017
    SW Houston
    Oh goodie this turned into another 1911 thread....

Dawico likes this.
  9. OLDVET

OLDVET Well-Known

Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    The bottom pistol in this photo is my stainless Wilson Classic. The upper two live with another fellow on this site now.

Attached Files:

10. OLDVET

OLDVET Well-Known

Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    Just proving a point Geek. Don't get your panties all in a wad. I see you have been on here for a while. You should know by now that a thread will start out one way and end up far from the original idea.
    Talo products are over rated. You satisfied??