Capitol Armory ad

Want to buy a J-Frame...but have a question.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Reinz

Well-Known
    Sep 5, 2014
    East TX
    Be careful.
    Last year I bought a two toned Colt Talo Edition 1911. I decided I didn't like it, so I tried to sell it.
    No luck. I finally traded to my FFL dealer. He has had it listed on GunBroker for several months. He can't sell it either.
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/783384344
    Many people I talk to are not impressed with a Talo edition firearm. I will never buy another Talo firearm.
    Be your own guide.

Man, I don’t mean to piss in your Cheerios, but don’t blame Talo. Who wants to buy a 1911 with an obsolete grip safety and no undercut trigger guard? Theses days, everybody, and I mean almost all manufacturers include those options as the base price of the gun.

Right off the bat I will have to pay a gunsmith $150 for an updated grip safety. And then another $170-250 if I want the undercut and necessary refinishing job.

No telling what else that “Custom” gun needs.

Dude, you got suckered or just made a poor decision which we are all guilty of doing.

I think that most guys willing to accept that configuration want it to look original milspec.

That gun seems to going for both worlds, custom, and original. I just don’t see a place for it with such fierce competition for your dollar.

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    Reinz, I am well aware of what a 1911 is and is not.
    I currently own twenty three made by four different manufacturers. From one $300 green Armscorp 1911 up to my two Custom Wilson Combat 1911s.
    My point is, just because it says Talo on it doesn't make it that much more desirable to most people. I bought the Talo Colt because it was all of the things you said you would have done to it. It is a classic styled two tone 1911. Even though it was a Talo offering, it didn't have any special custom features. The trigger was a standard milspec Colt trigger. My stock Springfields have a better trigger.
    A Talo firearm is like a Commemorative Firearm. Most people don't want to spend the extra money and it is not going to be more valuable ten years from now when you sell it.
    I have bought and sold firearms for over 45 years. I have seen trends come and go. I can remember when the Glock first came out. Most people said this will never last. Looks like it did.
    Like I said before, do your research and be your own judge. Just don't let a name fool you. Most of the Talo features are cosmetic. You can call the Talo people and discuss each and every item the Talo revolver you are looking at has that a stock revolver does not have. Don't take my word, do your research.

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    May 2, 2015
    I bought both of mine new for about $600 each. That price is pretty steep to me. Unless someone just has to have that gun.

Remington
    surgdguh-jpg.jpg

Springfield
    bwa0mumh-jpg.jpg

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    I have two of these.
    https://www.wilsoncombat.com/classic/

One is a black 9mm ($3,030 with my military discount) the other is a full on custom stainless .45ACP Classic. ($2,650 used).
    The R1 and Springfield will perform just as well as my multi thousands of dollar Wilson 1911s. The difference is like between a Lexus and an Accord. The Lexus is just much smoother to operate, but both are great cars.
    By the way, $600 is a pretty good deal on your two pistols. Enjoy them.

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    The bottom pistol in this photo is my stainless Wilson Classic. The upper two live with another fellow on this site now.

Attachments

• 20160331_215459_001.jpg
      20160331_215459_001.jpg
      47.6 KB · Views: 293

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    Just proving a point Geek. Don't get your panties all in a wad. I see you have been on here for a while. You should know by now that a thread will start out one way and end up far from the original idea.
    Talo products are over rated. You satisfied??

Reinz

Well-Known
    Sep 5, 2014
    East TX
    Reinz, I am well aware of what a 1911 is and is not.
    I currently own twenty three made by four different manufacturers. From one $300 green Armscorp 1911 up to my two Custom Wilson Combat 1911s.
    My point is, just because it says Talo on it doesn't make it that much more desirable to most people. I bought the Talo Colt because it was all of the things you said you would have done to it. It is a classic styled two tone 1911. Even though it was a Talo offering, it didn't have any special custom features. The trigger was a standard milspec Colt trigger. My stock Springfields have a better trigger.
    A Talo firearm is like a Commemorative Firearm. Most people don't want to spend the extra money and it is not going to be more valuable ten years from now when you sell it.
    I have bought and sold firearms for over 45 years. I have seen trends come and go. I can remember when the Glock first came out. Most people said this will never last. Looks like it did.
    Like I said before, do your research and be your own judge. Just don't let a name fool you. Most of the Talo features are cosmetic. You can call the Talo people and discuss each and every item the Talo revolver you are looking at has that a stock revolver does not have. Don't take my word, do your research.

Sorry Vet, I did not comprehend these points from your previous post, point now taken. I thought you were complaining about your Talo not selling.

Your photo of your collection raises a question that I have. So not to cause anyone to get upset over 1911’s, I’ll PM you.

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Oct 7, 2015
    I've always been the semi-auto type, but a J-frame has been calling my name lately. I've decided on a 642 but I'm not sure if I should spend the extra $130 for the Performance Center "Pro Series" or just buy the regular one. They both come without the internal lock. I know there's some revolver guys here. Can y'all help me out?
    If you plan to pocket carry or ankle carrt, I highly recommend the 340pd. Worth every penny.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Jul 24, 2018
    East Texas
    Talk about going off the rails here. I'll make sure to remember: the best S&W revolver is a 1911. Got it!

Yes I was asking about new model 642's. Strictly the difference between the performance center and the regular model. And, of course, if the price increase was worth it.

BTW: Just checked out a 340PD. WAY more than I'd ever want to spend on a snub nose revolver.

Last edited:

Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    Mine's in .45ACP. It barks. Not too bad in the hand, though. Make sure you clean it correcly or the solvents will cause issues.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    $747 doesn't seem that bad for a scandium revolver in .357. Not sure I'd want to fire it more than once though. ;)
    Were you at the last Hicksville meet? I shot one there. Two rounds of 180-grain Buffalo Bore hunting ammo out of an 11-ounce (IIRC) revolver messed up my hand pretty bad.

Top Bottom