• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Paradude

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Hi,I want to get a new AR but need help deciding.any help is appreciated.Budget is under $1000.
    Gun Zone Deals

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    M&P15's seem to be a good bargain as far as quality and price goes. If you get the basic barebones model, I think you can find them for around $900 sometimes. There are cheaper ones in the $575-700 range, but honestly I would stay away from many of those. Some of them are pretty poor quality, at least from what I've seen.

Code3GT

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 12, 2008
    Austin
    +1 on building your own. I'm saving approximately $300 by doing it myself. Its SUPER easy, fun and something you can say "yeah, I built it myself"

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    +1 on building your own. I'm saving approximately $300 by doing it myself. Its SUPER easy, fun and something you can say "yeah, I built it myself"

Just curious but, what's involved in "building" your own. I've read about it in the past but, honestly I forget all the details now. From what I remember, if you build your own, isn't there some catch like you aren't allowed to sell it or something? Maybe I'm thinking of something else. ;)

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    My last 2 AR's have been assembly jobs. Just get a lower and parts kit and assemble. Since I have no serious AR tools I bought complete uppers. Still saved some cash though. Probably not as much as if I had done the whole thing from scratch, btu still cheaper than going OTC. Plus you get to choose what doo dads you spend money on. My 18" Mk12 Mod1 clone cost me around $1200-$1300 minus the glass and included a Magpul PRS and Tango Down Bipod. I think I am going to end up with a match carbine build for around $900 going the same route. The best part of the assemble yourself route is that you can buy as the budget allows.

As for the legalities of the the build it yourself route, so long as you got the lower legally and follow all the NFA type rules wrt barrel length and such you should ne fine. the only thing you may have a hard time selling is ones that you buy the receiver 80% finished and finish the machining on yourself. it hink that puts you in a different category. Buying a complete receiver as you would any other gun means you can sell, trade... what not it later with no issues.

About the only concern would be if we come across a ban again that requires something to be assembled before a certain date. I am told that new 4473's have a category specific for receivers. On the current 4473 nobody could tell the difference bewteen buying a receiver with serial #ABC vs buying a complete gun with serial #ABC. Now that the 4473 potentially differentiates between a gun and a receiver if such a ban comes to be the burden of proof will lie with the owner to prove it was assembled into a fully functional firearm before said date. In other words if those things come to pass youre going to be screwed if you bought a receiver on a new 4473. However, all this is moot cause I am not sure about the reality of the new 4473 nor is there any such ban on the books.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    As for the legalities of the the build it yourself route, so long as you got the lower legally and follow all the NFA type rules wrt barrel length and such you should ne fine. the only thing you may have a hard time selling is ones that you buy the receiver 80% finished and finish the machining on yourself. it hink that puts you in a different category. Buying a complete receiver as you would any other gun means you can sell, trade... what not it later with no issues.

Ah, okay. I must have heard about the incomplete receiver thing before and got confused. Hmm, in that case I think I might have to build my own. I can never keep anything stock so I might as well build one right the first time then. ;)

gladi8r

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Troy Tx
    You can get a LMT for 1098 out the door at quantico tactical in killeen and have one of the best ar's made. Reliable accurate 1/7 twist barrel so you can shoot heavy grain bullet, I love mine and everyone that has one loves em.

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I've been really happy with my M&P15. I have the standard M4gery model and I've only added a cheap 4 rail foreand, a vertical pistol grip and a set of Trijicon night sites.

Shaolin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2008
    Hi,I want to get a new AR but need help deciding.any help is appreciated.Budget is under $1000.

Buy a Model 1 Sales CAR 16" kit for $315 or $350 for chrome lined bore, Then order a Double-Star complete forged lower kit for $229 from Centerfire-Systems.

You spend about $600-625 depending on transfer fees of the receiver and shipping both parts.

By the way, Model 1 Sales is based in NE Texas.

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Model 1 sales has some good deal's.If you want something with a warranty RRA,DPMS and Stag are good choice's.

Top Bottom