• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cody j

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    austin
    hey austin area gun owners. i am interested in firing a 45lc and am unable to find a range to rent one. i am somewhat recoil sensitive and would like to fire one, before i purchase a firearm i will not enjoy. if someone is willing to meet me up at a range and allow me to fire their gun, i would love to buy you a box of ammo.

thanks
    cody

codyjemes@ymail.com
    DK Firearms

Fisherman777

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    45R
    I used to own a Ruger Blackhawk in 45 Long Colt and the recoil is very managable. Not a big deal at all.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    If you are looking at a Taurus Judge, the recoil is similar to a .45 ACP in a full size 1911. In the bigger guns like the Blackhawk, or using what are called Cowboy Action loads the .45 Colt will have similar recoil to a .38 Special in a K or N Frame Smith and Wesson (very little). I would say the .45 Colt is a great caliber for someone that is recoil sensative, just stay away from the hot loaded stuff.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I own a cimmaron model P(copy of a colt SAA) as well as a Ruger Super Blackhawk both chanbered in 45 LC. I also own a Rossi lever action 45. The colt 45 can be as mild or wild as you want it to. I load fairly soft ammo when reloading or handloading new bullets. Cowboy loads are around $40 a box(50). If you want to meet me sometime at Eagle Peak($10membership/$10 daily), I will let you squeeze off a few of my handloads/reloads. I would probably prefer some powder as opposed to some "new" ammo. My reloads are all thoroughly tested before I ever allow someone else to shoot them. The 45LC is so expensive to shoot if you are not a reloader but if you are, lead bullets can be reloaded for under 20 cents a round. Feel free to send me a PM if you are interested in heading out to Cedar park. My usual days at the range are sundays and mondays. Always happy to let another TGT member shoot my guns - Texmex

cody j

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    austin
    well thats reassuring. i have tried a variety of handguns, but i am double jointed with small hands and even wrist strengthening exercises have not helped. i don't really want to shoot it if it physically hurts me to shoot it. i have a 22lr wheel gun that i very much enjoy shooting and would love a heavier defensive gun, especially in a revolver. if this cartridge hurts me, then i suppose i will have to find a way to conceal a 12 gauge.

thanks everyone for your opinions and whatnot

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    What do you want the gun for? Hunting? defensive? Fun? Cowboy action?

Good luck. I don't have one, but I think it migh help people give relatable experience.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    The sheer weight of the Ruger SBH hunter makes it a joy to shoot. Hard to hold up and aim for any long period of time but minimal felt recoil with cowboy loads. My 45lc revolvers are all single action which makes the triggers short, crisp and fairly light. No long take up or creep like a double action revolver. Semi-autos with polymer frames will alwalys punish your wrists more since the recoil operation slams the slide back at you. Also, at Eagle Peak, they sell 1lb. cans of powder for just over $20. So, I will gladly trade some trigger time for some new powder that I don't have. You can try to PM me again about a meet up time, or just post a message here. This sunday will work for me but monday is even better. Lemme' know - Texmex

Top Bottom