• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I want to get started reloading for my 30-06 and maybe my 40. I'm thinking a single stage press and piece the rest together or should I look into a kit? Someone taught me some basics when I was younger (a lot younger), but it has been a while. Just looking for some advice, as far as a good cheap single stage kit that will hold up for a wile. The 30-06 is mainly what I want to reload for.
    Guns International

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I'm not an expert, but I got a Lyman turret press kit for something like $365. it really had everthing except calipers. I like the turret part with six slots. The primer feed works pretty well, but it isn't perfect. I like the powder thower quite a bit.

I haven't used the case trimmer or the case lube (use carbide dies).

I've just loaded pistol rounds. I really thought about going with Lee, but I read some bad reviews about the powder dispenser, and it didn't have a bunch of the stuff that came with the Lyman set. The electic scale that came with it wasn't the greatest, or at least, it didn't hold up to the heat in my attic. So I'm using my grandpa's Lee beam scale. I only load a hundred or so rounds every week or so, so I'm not in a real big hurry.

I imagine that you could probably find something pretty cheap, in the next six months or a year as alot of people who got in on the craze get tired of their stuff and sell it.

Good luck.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I imagine that you could probably find something pretty cheap, in the next six months or a year as alot of people who got in on the craze get tired of their stuff and sell it.
    Good luck.
    That is what I'm hoping. I want to pic up some thing used very cheap because money is a huge object right now. I just don't know what to look for as far as a good deal, All I know is name brands and I don't know one from the other as far as quality.
    And I am only looking to get started with about 20 of the .30-.06 a week and will most likely hold off on the .40's until I get the hang of it.

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    The Lee Classic turret press is a very good press its heavy duty and for the price it cant be beat. Ive reloaded about 1,000 rounds with it and I have never had a single problem with the auto index feature.

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    Single stage press are fine as long as you are not a avid shooter. (150+ rounds a month)
    If you shoot a lot of pistol a progressive press is the only way.
    As for rifle IMO you get better consistency from a signal stage or turret style press.
    Just my

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    The rifle reloading is my priority. And money is the main problem, I need some thing for cheap that will work. I don't mind the old tools (three tear scales, powder trickler etc...) I just want to do about 100-150 rifle rounds a month the pistol rounds are an after thought.

Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    You might check out the next gun show in your area. There's always someone with a used single stage press for sale and associated equipment, i.e. powder scale, used dies, etc. I picked up a used Redding single stage for $10 one time to give to my son-in-law.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Okay what all do I need to start up a reloading book, scale,dies, caliper, press, tumbler and powder trickle. But what else do I need to get started on the rifle rounds?

Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    Full length case gauge, priming tool if your press does not have a priming arm, case trimmer like a Forster, chamfer tool to take the rough edges off the case mouth, and a primer pocket cleaner if you want to take the time to do that. Some people (like me) clean primer pockets. Some think it's a waste of time.

Oh, and don't forget the shell holder for the die set. :banghead: I was helping a guy start out and he had EVERYTHING except that and we had to make a 45 minute trip to the nearest sporting goods store to buy one.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Oh, and don't forget the shell holder for the die set. :banghead: I was helping a guy start out and he had EVERYTHING except that and we had to make a 45 minute trip to the nearest sporting goods store to buy one.
    Is that the plastic case for the die set or the tray for the casings? Cause I thought the die's came with a little plastic case.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Try to find you a second hand set up. This could also be a great way to score componants as they are getting to be as bad as finding some ammo. Dillon & RCBS has a lifetime warranty & they have great customer service.

GM.Chief

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Heck, I've been trying to get a second hand setup from somewhere. I work with guys that have older equipment and have upgraded but they just don't want to "unload" their old rigs...lol...maybe someone else will have better luck than me though...

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I think the link is dead so if it is, it's the Lee challenger breech lock single stage press kit at midwayusa.com for $104.99
    sorry for the repetitive posting here

res1b3uq

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    Lee

That is the kit that I bought when I started reloading about a year ago. I've had no problems with the press itself. I only load .45, and the interchangable breech lock is a good idea. The powder measure, at least for the powder I use, is not very accurate. I weigh every load-twice. The hand primer has never been out of the box. I do the priming(when I have primers) on the press. It's no big deal. You might be better served to just buy the press, and then buy the other stuff you really need. I may be mistaken, but I think the press alone is something like 79.95.

Top Bottom