Lynx Defense

Want to sell gun but dont know what to do??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amarlls

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Hey guys, I moved here about 2 years ago from California. I bought a handgun in California Id say 7 years ago brand new from a gun shop. It is Ruger P89 9MM. I would like to sell the gun but do not know process if I have to have it registered in Texas or how this works?? Im sorry if this is dumb question but Im not really a gun person and just have had the gun and only fired at range a few times, it is practically brand new. Please let me know guys what I got to do
    Capitol Armory ad

GI-John

Hurry up and wait!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Houston/San Antonio TX
    No problem

First of all there is no such thing as a dumb question.. just dumb liberals.

I would recommend pricing around and consulting a gun value book. After you have come up with your asking price(try and be fair) you are ready to begin the process.

(1) You could go to one of your local gun shops and ask the owner to sell your gun on consignment(he keeps it there and sells it for you) or just buy it himself.

or

(2) You could sell it on a popular gun site such as "Gunbroker.com", below, I have included their walk through to sell on their site. I would recommend that route. The link should answer all your questions and its pretty dumbed down. A fair price will get you a reasonable return of your money and ensure the gun sells in a timely manner. Try and sell it in state, i think its easier that way.

I hope this helps and i didnt steer ya in the wrong direction.. Im fairly new to the scene myself too.
    Good luck

GunBroker.com Seller's Tutorial

hoytinak

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas of course
    Texas isn't anything like Kali when selling a firearm. Here in TX you can do a FTF deal without any paperwork as TX doesn't register firearms. But....it's smart to get a copy of their DL or CHL (even better) and keep a bill of sale which you both sign.

Also, what part of TX you from?.....I'm kinda looking for another 9mm. ;)

amarlls

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Im in Bedford which is near Fort Worth. Let me know. Im going to try to do some comps on gun to see what its worth and list it as that. I mean its brand new, maybe shot 20 rounds through it at range

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    A good place to check what they are selling for.

Click onto Gunbroker.com, you can scan and see what yours is bringing, then you can advertise in the Fort Worth Star Telegram under firearms for sale, and theres a flea market in Grand Prairie south of their airport.

And last but not least...WELCOME TO TEXAS !!!!!!!

amarlls

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Ok great, anyone of hand know what I could get for it. Im seeing prices from 500 to 200 for guns like mine

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Bedford eh? Just down the highway....

What model is this P89? What kind of action is it, DA/SA or DOA? That might influence the price a bit.

amarlls

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    uhh like I said Im not really a gun person haha. it says 9mm x 19. Where would I find model and other stuff your asking about

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    uhh like I said Im not really a gun person haha. it says 9mm x 19. Where would I find model and other stuff your asking about

Ok, no worries. I was referring to the action of the gun, as in how it operates to fire the gun.

Here's the blurb from wikipedia:
    P89

180px-Ruger_P89_3.png

P89 right side

The P89 introduced a number of new variants. The standard model used a decocking manual safety; when applied, it blocked the firing pin, disconnected the trigger, and dropped the hammer. To fire, the safety was first removed, and then the trigger was pulled. This cocked and released the hammer, firing the first shot in double action mode; subsequent shots were fired in single action mode until the hammer was decocked. The "D", or decocker models replaced the decocking safety with a decocker; when applied, it blocked the firing pin and dropped the hammer, and then sprung back to the ready position. This left the pistol in a safe, hammer down position, ready to fire with a full (double action) trigger pull. The third action variant was the "DAO", or double action only model, which had a spurless hammer, and no manual safety. The DAO model always fired in double action mode, and upon firing the hammer automatically decocked. Every shot then was fired from a hammer down position. In 1991, Ruger produced a limited run P89X convertible model, which came with a second barrel and recoil spring assembly that allowed conversion between 9mm and .30 Luger calibers.
    The P89 is a recoil operated, locked breech semi-automatic pistol. The P89 utilizes a 1911 style tilting barrel. The trigger has a lot of pretravel and overtravel, but the handgun is quite accurate and has been popular in match shooting despite its relatively low market price. This makes it a good solution both for bargain shooters and those looking for an affordable self-defense option.
    In late 2007/early 2008, the P89 was discontinued.[1]

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    how do i attach pictures on this forum?

Two ways to do it:

1. "Attach file" when you make a reply. It is a button there to 'manage attachments'. You can upload directly from your computer to your polst

or

2. Use an online host, like imageshack or photobucket. Upload your picture to your account. That creates an image link you may now place in the text of your post.

amarlls

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Ok here are pics

Attachments

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      43.6 KB · Views: 127
    • 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      68.5 KB · Views: 137
    • 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      49 KB · Views: 140

amarlls

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Ok i posted on Texasguntrader.com for $300 and im getting a bunch of hits. Am i selling too low, most are trying to get me down to $250

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Ok i posted on Texasguntrader.com for $300 and im getting a bunch of hits. Am i selling too low, most are trying to get me down to $250

Hang on a sec, let me do a little price checking for you. Ultimately the sale price is what you feel comfortable selling it for.

Ok, prices are going from 250-300 easy. MSRP is $475, sales at $370ish. Auctions are near closing time at $280. Those talking to $250 are wanting a super deal ;) If you're happy selling it for $250 go ahead. What'd you pay for it?

How many mags come with the gun?

amarlls

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Ok what would be your ceiling haha. Ive got like 3 people wanting to give me $300 price today

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Look at the logo on the bottom of the page on this forum. Texas Gun Trader. If you price it right it will sell. I sold a gun in one day. And since it's "Texas" gun trader, you are mostly dealing with Texas buyers, and it's pretty easy to find a buy who is local, and that saves a lot of hassel with shipping and all.

Again, price it right. If you bought it for lets say $500, don't expect to get $499 for it.

Top Bottom