• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Harris

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2015
    20151111_151023.jpg 20151111_151101.jpg 20151111_151147.jpg 20151111_151201.jpg 20151111_151241.jpg

Hello,

I'm new to the forum and would really appreciate some advice about how to identify specific models of guns before I list them for sale. My father passed away and left 4 pistols and a browning .22 rifle to me. He was a life-long gun enthusiast and collected what he could afford. I was raised around guns but my attention was more directed at working on cars. I have debated selling the guns he left to me and have held onto them for more than a year for sentimental reasons but think it is time to sell them to someone who will enjoy having them more than I do. Maybe someone who will enjoy them as much as my Dad did. But I don't know enough about different models and sub-models of guns to list them for sale on any of the sites that members here have recommended in the forums and I don't know how much they are worth because I don't know enough about them.

To that end, here is what he left me and the information that I found in his files about each gun:

1. .30 Luger, American Eagle, Mauser Model P.08, Serial #34574, Match Parts;

2. [FONT=&amp].45 Auto Norwegian, [/FONT][FONT=&amp]1911 (1941), Serial #[/FONT][FONT=&amp]22766, [/FONT]Match Parts;

3. .22 Chiappa Firearms, 1911-22;

4. .25 [FONT=&amp]Beretta, 21A Bobcat.

5. .22LR Browning,[/FONT] Semi-Auto, Serial #2T47735, With Weaver Variable 1.5 to 4.5 Scope, Made in Belgium with better than standard wood (The wood is really beautiful).

I am posting a few pictures (in 2 posts due to the upload limit) and would greatly appreciate any help anyone can offer to help me identify specifics so I can list these guns for sale. If more detailed pics are needed, I would be happy to to post them. Thanks for your help.
    Venture Surplus ad

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Was I you, the Only two I might get rid of are the Chiappa and the Beretta. Even that would be a tough call. Those lil' .25s are getting harder and harder to find.

Harris

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2015
    Thanks for all the responses so far. I believe that someone would appreciate having these more than I would, so I will be selling them. Any advice on reasonable value? Thanks.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Do a net search and see what similar guns are selling for. Just have to remember listed price is not always selling price, as negotiations can reduce the actual sales price.

Price guides can help, but they often don't reflect current market conditions. Just a warning, the gun market has been down all year.

Last edited:

Harris

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2015
    I hear you. But my Dad would have wanted someone who really appreciated them to have them.

Harris

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2015
    oldag, thanks for the advice. I've searched the net and think I've come up with comparable prices on most of them but I'm primarily having trouble identifying the specifics for the Luger.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    Lugers are very difficult to value accurately. I keep wanting to buy one but specific items that are rare or special seem very difficult for the layman to discern.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I you have time, go to a gun specific forum and do some reading up on each model. For example, see if there is a Luger forum and look in their for sale ads, etc. You'll probably get a little better information.

Top Bottom