• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    In years past, I hunted deer in Pearsall. There has always been a good selection of processors down that way. All of which have a winning recipe for breakfast sausage. This year, I've been hunting in central Texas, so I decided to process one out on my own. Steaking out the backstraps and hams are no big deal but my wife happens to enjoy breakfast sausage the most. Now I am looking for a good recipe that closely duplicates a "jimmy dean" style sausage.
    I am not sure about how much ground pork to blend or what other seasonings give it that classic flavor. If any of you guys have done this before, please share a few recipes or point me in the right direction. Right now, I have a lot of meat wrapped and packed in the deep freeze just waiting to be turned into something tasty. I am also looking for a german style or smoked sausage recipe. Luckily, I have a friend with a meat grinder that I hope commandeer for a weekend.
    As a last resort, I would consider a processer near Taylor who could do it for me when I bag another one. Feel free to post and tips, tricks or your favorite recipes here.
    Target Sports

Last edited:

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Correct me if I'm wrong.
    The meat is currently frozen. When thawed, it must be cooked or it will ruin.
    Not refreezable.

The sausage will have to be smoked or otherwise cooked then can be frozen.
    I think breakfast sausage is a no go.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    You may be right about that. I might need to make small batches and eat it while it's fresh. I did read a little about it and supposedly if you refreeze it quickly and keep temps at or below 40 degrees your ok. However, I could see how hard it would be to crank out a decent sized batch and get it re-frozen that fast. I guess I will have to stick with fresh ground and blend it as needed.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Josephn58333
    Top Bottom