• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    You might try and getting a hogue grip on the gun you have. I don't have any experience with putting them on, but it might help. Assuming, you don't want to go and get another gun.
    Venture Surplus ad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Grayson County
    My only option for a PF9 grip from Hogue would be a slip-on grip as the polymer frame and grip is one piece. My husband said he could use it as an additional carry so it's not like it won't get used. He can handle the recoil just fine...:rolleyes:

And of course I want to buy another gun! This is the perfect excuse, too! I don't have to make up some lame excuse like, "Because I want one" now!

junkyguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My only option for a PF9 grip from Hogue would be a slip-on grip as the polymer frame and grip is one piece. My husband said he could use it as an additional carry so it's not like it won't get used. He can handle the recoil just fine...:rolleyes:

And of course I want to buy another gun! This is the perfect excuse, too! I don't have to make up some lame excuse like, "Because I want one" now!

I just love this gal !

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    i like 9mm cause when the SHTF it will be a readily available spoil.
    and let me know how those turn out once ya get to test them as ive been lookin for a 'nice' 9mm to supplement my hi-point. (its good for the range and some other applications, but i wouldnt want to carry it, as its too bulky)

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    ...and there's more that I don't quite feel like discussing because it's really a moot point. I'm looking at 9mm, that's it.

Good enough. I'd say you're on the right track trying to find weapons to test fire before buying. I've fired a couple of those smaller 9mm and they kick a lot more than my full size Browning Hi-Power 9mm. But you also need to remember that a small pistol you want to conceal and carry does not need to be a range gun, so a certain amount of extra kick is acceptable. As long as it doesn't interfere with your aim or confidence.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    i like 9mm cause when the SHTF it will be a readily available spoil.
    and let me know how those turn out once ya get to test them as ive been lookin for a 'nice' 9mm to supplement my hi-point. (its good for the range and some other applications, but i wouldnt want to carry it, as its too bulky)

Not trying to knock any caliber here, but if the SHTF, I wouldn't plan on finding ammo lying on the streets. Life isn't a video game. If you want to have ammo. Then you better get it now and store it.

Just my

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Grayson County
    F350 - Exactly why I want to test-fire them. I'm looking for this new one because the kick on my Kel-Tec is so great that I can't keep a good enough grip on it. It doesn't fly out of my hand or anything like that - it just causes issues with the ejection of the spent shells, causing the gun to jam. I can aim it fine and the kick doesn't bother me, but when I can't keep it from jamming because I can't hold on to to, that's not desirable in a carry weapon.
    I don't feel like I could conceal a full-size pistol without drastically changing my wardrobe - and I don't even wear tight skimpy things like most girls. If I can't conceal a gun with my normal loose t-shirts, jeans, and jackets then I think it's too big for me to conceal. So I am looking at smaller pistols, but with a steel frame instead of a composite frame like I have now. I think I'll find recoil reduced significantly - twice the weight's gotta count for something. ;)

Texas42 - I agree, even though it's a prolific round I don't count on being able to find any ammo that's not stashed in my own house should the SHTF. A small part of my desire for 9mm at the moment is because my husband and I own guns chambered in 9mm and .357 so making ammo purchases (and finding ammo in general) is easier when we only have two calibers to consider. I have no doubt we'll acquire some .45s in the future (and hey, that is just another excuse to buy some new guns) but until then 9mms are fine by me.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Trust me, I love the 9mm luger. I'm not going to knock you for wanting one, whatever your reasons are. Your reasons are your own business.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    F350 - Exactly why I want to test-fire them. I'm looking for this new one because the kick on my Kel-Tec is so great that I can't keep a good enough grip on it. It doesn't fly out of my hand or anything like that - it just causes issues with the ejection of the spent shells, causing the gun to jam. I can aim it fine and the kick doesn't bother me, but when I can't keep it from jamming because I can't hold on to to, that's not desirable in a carry weapon.
    I don't feel like I could conceal a full-size pistol without drastically changing my wardrobe - and I don't even wear tight skimpy things like most girls. If I can't conceal a gun with my normal loose t-shirts, jeans, and jackets then I think it's too big for me to conceal. So I am looking at smaller pistols, but with a steel frame instead of a composite frame like I have now. I think I'll find recoil reduced significantly - twice the weight's gotta count for something. ;)

I'm assuming the shells eject correctly, it just does not load the next round properly? Your husband can fire the weapon with no jams?

What we need to figure out is if it's a grip issue (need a different size or shape grip on the pistol) or if it's the amount of kick that's causing the problem. Kind of sounds like the same thing, but getting a better grasp of the weapon is sometimes all that's needed to control the extra kick.

How comfortable is the Kel-Tec in your hand? Does the grip feel too fat? Too thin? Too short? Does the magazine grip extender feel too wobbly or unsecure?

Also, if you don't mind me asking, what pistol did you learn to shoot with? If you're just learning to shoot, I'd suggest learning on a full size weapon so the recoil is minimized and you can concentrate on getting comfortable with the shooting before stepping down to one of those conceal type weapons that kicks like a mule.

How do you feel about revolvers? My wife has a snub nose 38 that's light as air with hardly any kick at all. It's fun to shoot and I've been known to borrow it myself on occasion. (sorry got side tracked again. I know 9mm. I'll try and pay attention)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Grayson County
    I'm assuming the shells eject correctly, it just does not load the next round properly? Your husband can fire the weapon with no jams?

What we need to figure out is if it's a grip issue (need a different size or shape grip on the pistol) or if it's the amount of kick that's causing the problem. Kind of sounds like the same thing, but getting a better grasp of the weapon is sometimes all that's needed to control the extra kick.

How comfortable is the Kel-Tec in your hand? Does the grip feel too fat? Too thin? Too short? Does the magazine grip extender feel too wobbly or unsecure?

Also, if you don't mind me asking, what pistol did you learn to shoot with? If you're just learning to shoot, I'd suggest learning on a full size weapon so the recoil is minimized and you can concentrate on getting comfortable with the shooting before stepping down to one of those conceal type weapons that kicks like a mule.

How do you feel about revolvers? My wife has a snub nose 38 that's light as air with hardly any kick at all. It's fun to shoot and I've been known to borrow it myself on occasion. (sorry got side tracked again. I know 9mm. I'll try and pay attention)

My gun is theoretically PERFECT. It fits in my hand like it was made for it. It is thick enough to allow for a proper grip but not too thin to hold onto. I'll try to post photos but it will be after Thanksgiving as I won't be back home until Friday. Remind me if I forget. :)

I learned to shoot on both my Kel-Tec and my husband's Taurus PT92 and have been shooting for about a year now (of course, I've shot his Taurus 917, his Colt King Cobra, and S&W Model 19 as well but not nearly as often). I can shoot all of them accurately and don't have a problem with his. He can shoot mine without a problem which is why we concluded that my inability to control the recoil is the problem. It only happens after the third or fourth round but it's not the magazine - it's inconsistent about when it happens and happens with similar frequency between three different magazines with fresh springs. Plus it doesn't happen when my husband shoots it. That's fine because he said he'll use it as his backup gun for his backup gun (haha) but that leaves me in search of a new semi-auto.

My problem with my Kel-Tec is not the chambering of the next round, but with the empty shell of the previous round not properly ejecting which also blocks the next round from entering the chamber. I've never felt like the recoil is too much, but it evidently throws itself back just enough to keep the spent round from ejecting when I can't keep a hold on it.

I already have a revolver - S&W model 60. I love it, never have any problems with it, and would trust it over a semi-auto anyday. Mine's not a snub, though - 3" barrel instead. I intend on carrying my revolver quite often but want to carry two guns whenever possible. I also want my other gun to be a semi-auto, hence my search criteria here. :)

Thanks for listening and getting it right and asking questions! :) Don't let me forget to post photos of my grip on my Kel-Tec...

Happy thanksgiving, all!

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    My gun is theoretically PERFECT.

Sorry, no such thing. You'll have to get several to cover different situations. ;)

It only happens after the third or fourth round but it's not the magazine - it's inconsistent about when it happens and happens with similar frequency between three different magazines with fresh springs.

Now we're getting somewhere. Fresh springs where? Recoil springs or magazine springs? Does it jam if you just close your eyes and squeeze the trigger as fast as you can (without even trying to aim) ? You mentioned thickness of the grip, but not the length.

Things I'd suggest you try. Take a picture of your husband holding the pistol as he's about to shoot. Take a picture of yourself holding the pistol as you're about to shoot and compare the grip. Also try shooting the Kel-Tec one handed. Sounds odd, but a lot of folks tend to jerk the trigger in a one handed grip, which isn't the best thing for accuracy, but might help with your recoil issues. Being an inch or two off on accuracy won't hurt as long as you're aiming center mass.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Grayson County
    Sorry, no such thing. You'll have to get several to cover different situations. ;)

Now we're getting somewhere. Fresh springs where? Recoil springs or magazine springs? Does it jam if you just close your eyes and squeeze the trigger as fast as you can (without even trying to aim) ? You mentioned thickness of the grip, but not the length.

Things I'd suggest you try. Take a picture of your husband holding the pistol as he's about to shoot. Take a picture of yourself holding the pistol as you're about to shoot and compare the grip. Also try shooting the Kel-Tec one handed. Sounds odd, but a lot of folks tend to jerk the trigger in a one handed grip, which isn't the best thing for accuracy, but might help with your recoil issues. Being an inch or two off on accuracy won't hurt as long as you're aiming center mass.

See, but then I have no excuse to get a new gun...;)

I can take a photo of me holding the gun for purposes of grip analysis but we aren't going to the range for quite a while (preparing for a move, it's kinda costly) so that'll have to do.

Fresh magazine springs. It only jams when I shoot it (not my husband) so I doubt it's the gun. Length is perfect on the grip for me too, I forgot to mention that last time. :-P I have tried shooting it one-handed before and it feels like the gun is about to fly out of my hand. Also jammed on the first shot, not the third or fourth like when I shoot it with both hands. After a friend suggested that my husband watch me shoot to ensure I wasn't limp-wristing it we determined that I'm not really limp-wristing...but I don't have a great hold on the gun either. That's when I'm shooting with both hands, though.

Hawghauler

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    Idaho
    A 1911 can stovepipe if you limp wrist them. A firm grip on any automatic is a must as many of the types of actions require the frame to be stable to properly cycle. If you are having difficulty with a firearm that other's are not, you have a few choice. A different choice that is a better fit or practice practice practice. Also if the firearm is new it does shoot sweeter after a couple thousand rounds worth of self polishing.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    I can take a photo of me holding the gun for purposes of grip analysis but we aren't going to the range for quite a while (preparing for a move, it's kinda costly) so that'll have to do.

You don't have to go to a range. The two of you just take turns aiming at a spot on the wall with an unloaded pistol. Just pretend you're about to shoot the wall. Then compare grips, including the exact location of each finger and thumb. Then look at the arms. Which elbow is straight or relaxed? Shoulders square or angled? How are the feet placed?

Length is perfect on the grip for me too....

I have tried shooting it one-handed before and it feels like the gun is about to fly out of my hand. Also jammed on the first shot, not the third or fourth like when I shoot it with both hands.

If the grip is truly the right width and length for your hand, but it still feels like it's about to fly out of a one handed grip, and jams in a two handed grip, then I'd say you either need to drop down in caliber, or move up in the size of the weapon. I'm not sure adding weight to a small frame will help.

A firm grip on any automatic is a must as many of the types of actions require the frame to be stable to properly cycle. ..................................................................If you are having difficulty with a firearm that other's are not...............................................

I think we're all on the same page here. The question is, which particular pistol will work the best for her in overcoming these issues. I doubt she would have the same issues with a full size 9mm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Grayson County
    The caliber isn't the problem - I can shoot other 9mms without any problem. I'm actually planning to use my husband's Taurus 917 to qualify next year unless I've found my own gun by then.

I'm not looking at guns the same size but with more weight - I'm looking at medium frames instead of compact frames, with a steel frame. More weight + bigger frame = probably better. ;)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Grayson County
    Okay, I now have photos of my grip on the Kel-Tec. :D
    Sorry I had to take them with my cruddy built-in computer camera but I can't seem to find our actual camera...
    Both one- and two-handed grips, as well as a top view. (I'm right-handed but the camera mirrored the images...d'oh!)

photo33w.jpg

photo32nf.jpg

photo35x.jpg

photo36x.jpg

photo37f.jpg

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009

My eyes don't work as well as they used to. Is there a magazine in there? If so, is it the extended one or the short one?

Like you, I was assuming it would take a larger grip and heavier weapon to cut down on the recoil. I've fired a baby eagle in 9mm and the recoil was very manageable, but the pistol felt like it weighed 18 lbs.

I had the opportunity to fire a Springfield XD -9 subcompact this past weekend. It's extended grip magazine will provide you a better grip than shown here, and the recoil was amazingly light for a pistol that size. I'd put it on par with my full size Browning Hi-Power. I personally don't like the trigger of the XD, but this isn't about me.

Not trying to make it more complicated, but I was amazed at how little recoil there was on the XD subcompact. You might consider looking for that as a rental also. Maybe you won't hate the trigger as much as I do.

Nothing in your grip pictures shows any significant issues on your part. The pistol just doesn't seem to fit you well. I'm guessing it's not your husbands first choice to go shooting with either.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Grayson County
    My eyes don't work as well as they used to. Is there a magazine in there? If so, is it the extended one or the short one?

Like you, I was assuming it would take a larger grip and heavier weapon to cut down on the recoil. I've fired a baby eagle in 9mm and the recoil was very manageable, but the pistol felt like it weighed 18 lbs.

I had the opportunity to fire a Springfield XD -9 subcompact this past weekend. It's extended grip magazine will provide you a better grip than shown here, and the recoil was amazingly light for a pistol that size. I'd put it on par with my full size Browning Hi-Power. I personally don't like the trigger of the XD, but this isn't about me.

Not trying to make it more complicated, but I was amazed at how little recoil there was on the XD subcompact. You might consider looking for that as a rental also. Maybe you won't hate the trigger as much as I do.

Nothing in your grip pictures shows any significant issues on your part. The pistol just doesn't seem to fit you well. I'm guessing it's not your husbands first choice to go shooting with either.

The regular mag is in there. I usually use the one with the extended pinky grip but was too lazy to get out my case to get it (I don't keep the Kel-Tec at the ready).
    It's definitely not my hubby's first choice but he can shoot it well and is thinking of using it as a pocket carry when he can't carry his others while at work. Then again, he's looking at other pocket pistols so we'll see. I told him we'll buy guns until we get ones we are thoroughly comfortable with. :)

Thanks for the suggestion but I'm trying to steer away from polymer and sub-compact now. I'm looking at steel or alloy frames in a compact frame 4" pistol. Still, I'm sure it's worth trying so if I have the opportunity I shall try it out. We're planning on going to the range this week so we'll see...

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Okay, I now have photos of my grip on the Kel-Tec. :D
    Sorry I had to take them with my cruddy built-in computer camera but I can't seem to find our actual camera...
    Both one- and two-handed grips, as well as a top view. (I'm right-handed but the camera mirrored the images...d'oh!)

Please no offense, I mean only to be helpful, but I think you can improve your grip. There are a lot of things I see that are working against you in handling recoil. The biggest issue I see is your weak hand. You are very close to "tea cupping" which give zero support against recoil. Your weak hand has to offer more support, which you can only do if it is higher on the grip, and it should be strong enough to hold he gun against recoil as if it was holding by itself. Then a slight bit of push-pull will steady your hold as you pull the trigger with the strong hand that is not stressed trying to hold the gun. There are plenty of instruction videos on the web that can help with that, but one on one instruction would go a long way. Hope that helps.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Grayson County
    Thanks for the advice, navyguy. I corrected my grip and still seem to have the same problem with this gun. Helps with our other firearms, though!

We're definitely getting rid of the Kel-Tec now - hubby was going to carry it, but we took it shooting today and it again failed to eject cartridges, and not just when I was shooting it. And I don't mean it just got caught in the slide, I mean it was JAMMED in the barrel. Had the employees at the range look at it and test it out, and the gun jammed again. The guy it jammed on suggested something with the ejector was off-kilter but couldn't offer a definitive cause.

In any case, we're going to sell/trade it with someone if possible, with the understanding that the gun has been less than reliable. I don't want it, my hubby no longer wants it, and we've decided to just try again with another gun - probably the Kimber Aegis, which I have now decided is what I want to get. Now I've gotta keep throwing my change in the piggy bank...

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom