• ...and so much more!
  • navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    That Aegis will be a good choice, as would the Springfield EMP. But hold on to your hat. Dan Wesson is coming out with 9MM bobed grip 1911 next year. II believe it is officer's size which is perfect for cc.

Sorry, more things to complicate the decision .
    Gun Zone Deals

PocketGroove

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2009
    DFW
    I'm not looking at guns the same size but with more weight - I'm looking at medium frames instead of compact frames, with a steel frame. More weight + bigger frame = probably better. ;)

I've also been wanting to shoot some of the Kimber CC 1911s and the Springfield EMP. Funny enough, just the other day a gun counter guy was telling me the EMP was much heavier than the equally small Kimbers and that it "could" be less comfortable to carry. In your case, it sounds like it might be what you're looking for!
    As for me, I'm still itching to shoot one in .40s&w since the ammo seems easy to come by and I could see myself trading in some polymer here soon.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Grayson County
    I got the opportunity to hold an EMP, and the grip felt fine...but the gun felt heavier, yes. Especially towards the front end, too - it didn't seem equally balanced. :(
    I'm going with the Aegis or any other 9mm Kimber if I find one used for a good price...I honestly don't care as long as it's the right grip and caliber. :)

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    That Aegis will be a good choice, as would the Springfield EMP. But hold on to your hat. Dan Wesson is coming out with 9MM bobed grip 1911 next year. II believe it is officer's size which is perfect for cc.

Sorry, more things to complicate the decision .

Interesting. I might want to look into this little item myself.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Grayson County
    No kidding. We don't go there to shoot anymore and only visit if we're looking to buy a gun and think they might have one. We like TargetMaster in Dallas and Red River Firearms in Sherman.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Grayson County
    Not to put you down right out of the gate, but I can not stand Glocks. I don't like the way they feel in my hand, and I'd prefer a metal frame over a polymer frame anyway. :)

I sold my Kel-Tec to a TGF member last week and have about half of the funds to buy the Aegis - I should have the rest within 2 months, tops! :)

Young Gun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    DFW, TX
    I will try to update this thread if anyone is interested, as I bought the PF-9 and will be taking it to the range this week. I'm also on KTOG which has a few tips and tricks to solve possible ejector issues, which I may need to try.

I did notice after taking the gun home that it's not been "fluffed and buffed" per KTOG recommendation. I'd prefer not to do it if the gun works good for me, but if there are issues I'll give it a try and see what happens. The last one I shot about 2 weeks ago looked and felt identical, and I had 0 issues.

Out of curiosity randomoutburst; what kind of ammo were you using when the gun jammed? Standard FMJ 115gr? I bought some WWB for the range trip, but might try some other brands too just out of curiosity.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Grayson County
    Yes, standard FMJ 115 grain...I've tried Winchester, Remington, and Federal ammo through it. It was partial to one brand but I've forgotten which one - I want to say it was Remington but can't say for certain. It jammed with Winchester more often than the other two, I know that for sure.
    It didn't jam when I tried Winchester hollow points through it, interestingly enough. Then again, I only shot 4 magazines of hollow points through it so I didn't have as good an idea of how they ran through it as I did the FMJ.

It's not fluffed and buffed but my husband never had a problem shooting it, ever; just me and our friend! So it's probably not the gun but even if it is I've been told polishing the feed ramp usually helps a great deal.

Please do let me know how it shoots for you - I want to make sure you're happy with it! :)

ironman45693

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Austin
    If you want a metal frame and perfect balance, get the best conceal/carry 9mm handgun ever created, and buy a P7 (or P7M8)--never look back!

Young Gun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    DFW, TX
    I don't have any JHP to test with yet though, hopefully next range trip I'll have a box or two. I'm gonna' try to make it to the range today, and will post up my experience.

Nestromo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Watauga, TX
    I hear ya on not being able to stand Glocks. I absolutely hated 'em for 7 years. In fact if it didn't say Sig or HK on the side then you could keep it.

I bought a new G19C on a whim in April. Six Glocks later... you could say that I like them. :) It's an aquired taste. Not in the way that 15 year old single malt is an aquired taste... more the way that malt liquor is an aquired taste.

Young Gun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    DFW, TX
    Well, I have good and bad news lol.

The good news is I did not have extraction/ejection issues, when the gun would work.

The bad news is after every shot, the magazines would pop out. I know this was a problem with the older design plastic magazine catch, but this gun has the new metal one.

I went ahead and called Kel-Tec and they are shipping me a new metal magazine release free of charge. I'll replace that, and try shooting it again. I took the old one out and there was somewhat noticeable wear on the top, but it wasn't destroyed or anything. My guess is it just needs to be a very solid fit and this current one is a bit rounded off. Every once in a while I could get 3-4 rounds in a row without it popping out, but out of ~150 rounds I shot I never got a clean magazine through.

The other bad news is I took it all apart and it's a PAIN to get back together hahahaha. I'll figure it out though. :P

No real worries though, when I could get it to fire I enjoyed shooting it. It completely destroys my hand, but I need to sand down the portion of the plastic that rides between my thumb and pointer finger as there is a plastic ridge that's a bit raised. That should keep it from digging in my hand. I went ahead and put a Hogue Handall Jr. grip sleeve on it as well and it makes for a MUCH better purchase on the grip, the gun felt more stable in my hand after putting that on.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Grayson County
    I never had an issue with the mags popping out - yikes! At least Kel-Tec is shipping you a free replacement mag release, I hope that fixes it. :)
    Yes, the first few field strips will be a pain in the rear but you'll get the hang of it really fast. With so few parts (I think including the body/grip part it has 7) it's really nice and quick to clean compared to, say, a Taurus 92.
    Now that you mention it, I also had problems with it wearing a blister on the web between my thumb and finger but after a few trips to the range it stopped happening. I feel a callus in that spot, haha.
    Glad you didn't have the same ejection/extraction issues I had, at least!
    Keep me updated and let me know if the new mag release solves the mag problem. :)

Young Gun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    DFW, TX
    I'm actually going to the range tonight, at least that is the plan. I tried going Monday night but had to work late.

I also found that a number of KTOG users have feed/jam issues with WWB ammunition. That's what I bought the first time as well and had a few issues with. I went out and bought some Remington UMC ammo and found that it's a bit shorter, and supposedly this length ammo works better in the PF-9. Here's a pic for comparison; Rem UMC left and WWB right.

Guns032.jpg

Maybe that will do the trick, along with the new mag release. If not, there are a few other things to check I'm sure. I'm bound and determined not to give up on this little gun...I like it too much. :P

Young Gun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    DFW, TX
    Alright, made it to the range tonight. Good news! I had 100% success tonight, shot 100 rounds through it without a single issue. Used both magazines, and two types of ammo. I guess the magazine release did it, and as far as I can tell the length of the bullet makes no difference. All 100 rounds fired and ejected fine, made nice little holes in the paper.
    My groups could have been way better, but I was so excited that it was working I just kept reloading and shooting away without really going for accuracy beyond the border of the paper.

I have to say thank you again randomoutburst for a good deal on a good gun. Hopefully I can return the favor in the future. :)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Grayson County
    I'm glad it all worked out for you and that you're happy with it! Still, I wonder how the mag release got worn down so badly...!
    If you ever have firearms to sell, hit me up - I'm always interested in a new addition to our collection. :D

Young Gun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    DFW, TX
    Not sure how the old one was worn down. It honestly was not that bad at all, not enough that it would make a difference in my opinion. But, apparently if it's not perfectly flat the magazine will just roll off the edge with enough pressure. Did I ever post a picture of the old one? Here it is if I forgot -
    DSCF0864.jpg

It's just that second lip with the rolled edge. Practically microscopic haha, I had to use "super macro" mode on my camera to get it. Kel-Tec said sometimes a few will slip by that are out of spec, and if the magazine does not sit perfectly flush on it, all the impact goes on the edge and eventually it wares off. I suppose I bought the gun and shot it right at the time that happened.

Top Bottom