• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Flyingswords

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2012
    Smiths Station AL
    avoid dell/alienware. http://www.ibuypower.com/Site/Computer/15-Inch-Gaming-Laptop or you can check out http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/ for their laptops under 1300. I would get one that has the GTX 1060. Since your budget is 1300, that leaves laptops equipped with a 1070 and 1080 out. The ones that have the GTX 950 and 960M variants have old outdated GPU architectures. In my opinion I would get a laptop that has a minimum of 16GB of RAM.

I would suggest this http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Black_Friday_FANGBOOK_4_SX6_VR for $1199

Has an M.2 500GB drive for primary storage and has a GTX 1060M GPU. From the looks of it, it seems to have RGB lighting on the keyboard. Though Im not sure if its any similar to Corsair's RGB STRAFE or Razer's Chroma line whether its programmable like them.

Last edited:

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    avoid dell/alienware. http://www.ibuypower.com/Site/Computer/15-Inch-Gaming-Laptop or you can check out http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/ for their laptops under 1300. I would get one that has the GTX 1060. Since your budget is 1300, that leaves laptops equipped with a 1070 and 1080 out. The ones that have the GTX 950 and 960M variants have old outdated GPU architectures. In my opinion I would get a laptop that has a minimum of 16GB of RAM.

I would suggest this http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Black_Friday_FANGBOOK_4_SX6_VR for $1199

Has an M.2 500GB drive for primary storage and has a GTX 1060M GPU. From the looks of it, it seems to have RGB lighting on the keyboard. Though Im not sure if its any similar to Corsair's RGB STRAFE or Razer's Chroma line whether its programmable like them.

Why?

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I have had many different laptops over the years, including Dell. I now buy from the only company that builds theirs from the ground up, ASUS, reasonably priced and rarely have problems with them. By the way, Dell buys parts from ASUS for their computers.

Flyingswords

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2012
    Smiths Station AL

there are many in the custom gaming PC circle that despise Dell/Alienware. Their price point is way higher than most competitive gaming laptops. with the same processor/GPU. The link to the laptop I posted earlier has a 512GB M.2 SSD with an i7 6700HQ and a GTX 1060M for 1199. While Alienware has a laptop with the same CPU/GPU but has a 128GB M.2 SSD and a 1 TB HDD for roughly 400 more.

Though I myself prefer desktops to laptops due to ability to upgrade and easier upkeep and maintanence. Theres not much one can do with laptops other than blowing canned air into the vents to clean out the dust. This is why Im now strictly for desktops :)

Last edited:

BigBoss0311

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    McKinney, TX
    Not a fan of Alienware. I also agree on the pricing being very high for what you get. Had a $5200 laptop that died in less than two weeks. Horrible customer service and took much yelling to get them to give me my money back. Some of the new Dell's are not bad and are very upgradeable. As an example, the Inspiron 15 7000 series is very easy to upgrade and maintain. Yes I know that Dell and Alienware are the same company, but I have had better luck with Dell's than Aliewnware's. As far as not being able to clean out a laptop, it depends on the manufacturer and cases they use. I can completely open my laptop up and remove the fan to clean it out. Many others can as well. As far as the argument of laptop or desktop, it depends on the situation. Ideally I would love to have a desktop, but it is pointless as I travel 8-9 months out of the year. So laptop it is for me.

Flyingswords

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2012
    Smiths Station AL
    Not a fan of Alienware. I also agree on the pricing being very high for what you get. Had a $5200 laptop that died in less than two weeks. Horrible customer service and took much yelling to get them to give me my money back. Some of the new Dell's are not bad and are very upgradeable. As an example, the Inspiron 15 7000 series is very easy to upgrade and maintain. Yes I know that Dell and Alienware are the same company, but I have had better luck with Dell's than Aliewnware's. As far as not being able to clean out a laptop, it depends on the manufacturer and cases they use. I can completely open my laptop up and remove the fan to clean it out. Many others can as well. As far as the argument of laptop or desktop, it depends on the situation. Ideally I would love to have a desktop, but it is pointless as I travel 8-9 months out of the year. So laptop it is for me.

Yeah laptops are good for portability. Taking them onto flights/etc and still being able to use them for whatever hours the batteries are good for.

Flyingswords

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2012
    Smiths Station AL
    its the same as swapping in a normal spindle drive. they both have sata and power connectors. the only thing is whether that laptop has additional space for one in addition to the one already included. If you know how to open the laptop to service it. then its easy. If youre not good at servicing laptops by yourself and need additional storage. itll be better for you to get an external HD. there are some externals that have power cords and some dont and run off of power given by the USB cable

That laptop is great has the i7 6700HQ and the GTX 1060. The RAM capacity is pretty much the same as most ATX desktop boards with the cap being 32GB. So that leaves you plenty of room to upgrade the ram. Has HDMI for output incase you want to use a full sized monitor.

Id say go for it at that price.

Got a question for you BTW. Why not get a desktop? Much easier to upgrade and clean. If you ever decide to want to build yourself a gaming desktop rig I have my old case Im trying to get rid of.
    14372396_1289889334377071_1293456342362517030_o.jpg

This is the case Im getting rid off. Its a Corsair Carbide Air 540

Last edited:
    Top Bottom