• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    I want to get into bowhunting but don't have the first clue of what bow to buy or how to get started so some research is going to be in order. Any tips?

Brought to you courtesy of Tapatalk

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Buy mine, got a bear pursuit I never use. Great starter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I've been into archery for many years and usually bought Bear compound bows, They were great and with a proper sight, they are very accurate. My arthritis just won't let me do that any more. I didn't like releases so I always used finger tabs and finger release. Unfortunately, one wrenched elbow and it's a long road back. SO......what's the answer for me? CROSSBOWS!

My friends and I got back into cross bows recently and archery has come alive for me again! My neighbor Don and I both bought Horton Brotherhood Crossbows and I couldn't be happier with mine. Don hunts but I don't so I wanted mine for target shooting and it's accurate enough to satisfy the most fussy target shooter.

This is my third crossbow and I sold the other two as the only place I could get parts and bolts (arrows) was far into Houston and not worth the trip. Now that Academy has a full line of archery and crossbow equipment, it's time to get back into it.

As an archer, I'm used to the Twang..............thunk! of an arrow launch. Crossbows are so fast that it's all one sound! The damned things are dangerous and will chop a finger off if you get one in the way of the drawstring. That's why I like the Horton Brotherhood. It has a handle below the main frame and you grasp the handle to keep fingers clear. Another friend lost the tip of a finger a couple of days ago because he held the frame wrong. He didn't have the handle I described on his crossbow and it shattered the tip of a finger.

Academy has an indoor range in the store and you can try what suits you. The guys there are very knowledgeable and will assist you. That is my recommendation....go and try what interests you.

Flash

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Buy mine, got a bear pursuit I never use. Great starter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What's your asking price?

I've been into archery for many years and usually bought Bear compound bows, They were great and with a proper sight, they are very accurate. My arthritis just won't let me do that any more. I didn't like releases so I always used finger tabs and finger release. Unfortunately, one wrenched elbow and it's a long road back. SO......what's the answer for me? CROSSBOWS!

My friends and I got back into cross bows recently and archery has come alive for me again! My neighbor Don and I both bought Horton Brotherhood Crossbows and I couldn't be happier with mine. Don hunts but I don't so I wanted mine for target shooting and it's accurate enough to satisfy the most fussy target shooter.

This is my third crossbow and I sold the other two as the only place I could get parts and bolts (arrows) was far into Houston and not worth the trip. Now that Academy has a full line of archery and crossbow equipment, it's time to get back into it.

As an archer, I'm used to the Twang..............thunk! of an arrow launch. Crossbows are so fast that it's all one sound! The damned things are dangerous and will chop a finger off if you get one in the way of the drawstring. That's why I like the Horton Brotherhood. It has a handle below the main frame and you grasp the handle to keep fingers clear. Another friend lost the tip of a finger a couple of days ago because he held the frame wrong. He didn't have the handle I described on his crossbow and it shattered the tip of a finger.

Academy has an indoor range in the store and you can try what suits you. The guys there are very knowledgeable and will assist you. That is my recommendation....go and try what interests you.

Flash

Man, your Academy is a whole lot nicer than any I've been to apparently. I've never seen one with an archery range.

I did stop into Academy after work today and they had a few Bear bows to choose from but I don't know how to tell what size, draw, etc I would need and don't trust the folks there to help me since I'm generally the one educating them at the gun counter. In fact I'm pretty sure I helped them sell 3 guns while I was there.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Look into bowfishing. It's something you can do all year round. It also sharpens you up for game hunting.

Ive tagged a 30+lbs carp. They fight three times as hard being bowfished then rod and reel.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Wish you were closer, I would trade you my entire setup for some gun you want to get rid of.

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Wish you were closer, I would trade you my entire setup for some gun you want to get rid of.

Yeah, a bit far away. If anyone in the area is interested I might be interested in trading my Remington 597 .22 or something for a bow.

Medic218

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2010
    Little Elm
    I have a buddy with the following for sale.
    I can get you two in touch if you would like.
    I've shot it and its pretty slick in my opinion. I'm no archer but I shot it better than he did so IMO its very user friendly even to a novice like myself.

Complete Martin Cheetah
    Diamond Stabilizer
    G5 Drop Away Rest
    TruGlo Fiber Optic Sight
    Plano Bow Case
    A Few Carbon Arrows
    $375.00

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    I have a buddy with the following for sale.
    I can get you two in touch if you would like.
    I've shot it and its pretty slick in my opinion. I'm no archer but I shot it better than he did so IMO its very user friendly even to a novice like myself.

Complete Martin Cheetah
    Diamond Stabilizer
    G5 Drop Away Rest
    TruGlo Fiber Optic Sight
    Plano Bow Case
    A Few Carbon Arrows
    $375.00

I've read some great reviews on that bow. Where does your friend live? DFW is a bit too far away but if he is closer than that I am very interested.

Medic218

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2010
    Little Elm
    He is up here with me.
    He is in Corinth.
    if you add some money for gas I'm sure he wouldn't mid making a road trip....I know I wouldn't.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    My neighbor and I got into one today. Walmart was clearing out their archery supplies and red tagged all of their broadhead tips. I kicked butt and cleaned the rack of all their 125 grain razor broadheads. I gave $5 for 3 (which is $1.66 each!) so I snagged 7 packs of them. I called Don so he came over and snagged some, too. It worked great as he prefers the 100 grain broadheads.

We were shooting his crossbow today and the thing is really accurate at 30 yards! I can't have my newest one yet as my BD is still a few days away. I bought it as my BD present and put it away until that wonderful day..............66 YO!

I'm sold on the crossbows now that a convenient source of supplies is available and they don't beat up my elbows. At 30 yards, we keep the bolts in a grapefruit size target with field points or broadheads.

The Horton Brotherhood comes with a 4X archery scope that is very effective for variable range shooting.

We use a rope/pulley cocking device and it's easy to reset the bow for the shot. It has an auto safety and an anti dry firing safety, too.

Flash

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    ytage7u3.jpg

Top Bottom