Wanting to run a suppressor on an AK47. Barrel rethreading possible?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • uracowman

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 23, 2012
    katy
    Hey guys,

I am looking to tackle a new project and I'm looking for your advice. Long story short, I'm looking to purchase an AK pistol to convert to an SBR. On this SBR, I'm looking to run a can that has standard U.S threads (which I believe is 1/2x28). I'm currently looking at a polish Radom, seen below, but I had concerns on whether or not a rethread was possible.

Based on what I've heard, it looks like the flash hider on the end of the gun is threaded onto the gun. I'm also assuming the threads are 14x1 left hand. Would it be possible to rethread this gun pretty easily into a 1/2x28?

1944126_01_polish_ak_47_pistol_7_62x39_wi_640.jpg
    Hurley's Gold

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    30 cal cans are usually 5/8x24...
    Unless this isn't a 7.63x39, then I'll just shut up and move along. :-)
    Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

ArmyZach

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Joshua
    Might work.
    Once you turned the 14 mm threads down, you would be at 13 mm, or .511 of an inch. Plenty of stock left to cut 1/2 x 28 threads.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

uracowman

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 23, 2012
    katy
    30 cal cans are usually 5/8x24...
    Unless this isn't a 7.63x39, then I'll just shut up and move along. :-)

I'm sorry. It is 5/8x24.

Would this still be possible? I have no idea how barrel threading works other than the fact that you can screw something onto it.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    I'm sorry. It is 5/8x24.

Would this still be possible? I have no idea how barrel threading works other than the fact that you can screw something onto it.

Might be easier to buy a pre-threaded barrel....

uracowman

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 23, 2012
    katy
    Ever thought about getting a QD mount suppressor and then putting a muzzle device on your AK for it? That way you can take that can and use it on other rifles with their own device. No need to get special threads, just the part.

For example, this suppressor has many muzzle attachment devices for a variety of rifles..........
    SureFire SOCOM762-MINI Sound Suppressor / Rifle Silencer

The biggest fear I have is the concentricity of the 14x1 LH threads

bptactical

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2013
    CO
    I thread a lot of AK's for suppressor use, a couple of things to keep in mind:
    1- NEVER trust the factory threads on any AK. You have no assurance they are concentric.
    2-even if they were, they are too poor a thread fit for anything other than a slant brake or comm bloc booster.

You don't mention the caliber of the pistol in question. If 5.56 then 1/2x28 will be fine. If 7.62 then 1/2x28 is out, the barrel walls will be far too thin.
    9/16x24 is your minimum.
    If the FSB has the 24mm threads you can cut and recrown the barrel flush with the end of the threaded extension. Indicate the bore centeline and turn the 24mm down to .6250, leaving a shoulder for the suppressor to index on.
    If you have a 14mm muzzle then turn it and press/thread an oversize bushing on it. Then thread the bushing as needed.

Top Bottom